The Great 'Games to play on long journeys' Hunt Revisited

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
Great 'Games to play on long journeys' Hunt Revisited

There were some great ideas last time, so we have high expectations this time around. Whether it's a variant on an old favourite, like Martin's Rock, Paper, Scissors Tennis, a completely new concept or good old I spy, we want your go-to games for long trips.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

View all past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Mikeyboy575
    Options
    As an accountant, we are all bound by the ethical code of practice. Regardless of who the individual is, should you spot an error you have an obligation to correct to ensure true and fair presentation of the financial information.

If this comes out later on in your career, it could have a detrimental impact. Always worth doing the right thing every time! Great things happen to nice people!
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Spammer above reported
  • embob74
    embob74 Posts: 724 Forumite
    Options
    My favourite game is to try and make a word using the 3 letters in a number plate. It does get the grey matter moving!
    Once I made up some bingo cards with pictures of things you were likely to see on the motorway. I laminated them and stuck them in the car and on long journeys the kids would play motorway bingo. A great game and stopped them bickering with each other for a short while :-)
  • neverdespairgirl
    Options
    We usd to play "legs" on long car games.

The first person to see a pub got the number of legs in the name. So for the "King's Arms" you got 0 points, for the "Duke of Marlborough" you got 2, and for the "Horse and Hounds" you got 12, as a plural automatically counted a 2 of them.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • beehummingbird
    Options
    We used to play "Knock Knock, Ring Ring"

If you saw a post box you had to shout "Knock Knock" and if you saw a phone box you had to shout "Ring Ring". Whoever spotted the most post and phone boxes by the end of the journey won.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Spammer above reported
    As an accountant, we are all bound by the ethical code of practice. Regardless of who the individual is, should you spot an error you have an obligation to correct to ensure true and fair presentation of the financial information.

If this comes out later on in your career, it could have a detrimental impact. Always worth doing the right thing every time! Great things happen to nice people!

No, Mikeyboy's not a spammer, he's a newbie who accidentally posted to the wrong forum, he was trying to post to this week's Moral Money Dillema forum! Easily done, but lucky we're a forgiving lot here..
  • vbbot
    vbbot Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This game only works for non motorway journeys. Decide who is 'in' first then look out for pubs. If you are 'in' shout when you see a pub with a picture and count all the limbs (4 for an animal and 4 for person) but if there are no limbs (eg The Queen's Head, The Crown) you are out and the next player takes up the batting. Either jot down the scores or just remember for your next innings. Game can continue until end of journey or designated time.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Alphabet game - got to spot all letters from A - Z
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We do the yellow cars game. 5 for a car, 2 for a m/c, 10 for a van and 20 for a large lorry. Used to be harder to find yellow but it is a bit retro now and there are more.
    Helps the kids with their maths.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 17 April 2013 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Car bingo- spot cars in the order they would be potted in a game of snooker
    Count-somebody starts with 1(obviously) then another traveller says 2 but there is no order so you can rush in and say the next number or wait but if 2 or more say the same number back to number 1 you all go.Sounds easy but my 10 and 8 are so keen not to get caught out that after a comfortable pause we all jump in and say the next number,highest we have counted to is 2? and the car erupts in laughter and the tension when we near our "record" is amazing.

Sorry how could I forget.. always always play Eddie Stobart spotting
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure