We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'Single MoneySaving' Hunt Revisited

Options
Great 'Single MoneySaving' Hunt Revisited

As Martin pointed out back in 2008 when we first asked for your tips on this topic, being single has its perks (no Valentine’s pressies to buy, free reign over the TV zapper, the list goes on...). Yet as some aspects can also be more costly for singletons, we'd like to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on how to save cash while solo.

See the original Single MoneySaving Great Hunt

View all past Great Hunts

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The pleasure of living on your own
    You have a bed to yourself, that you can get in and out of when you decide and you'll never be disturbed or woken up by someone else getting in an hour after you and bugging you, or who wants the lights off when you're reading a really good chapter, or who hogs the duvet, or who has annoyingly cold feet and wants to warm them up on yours, or who snores or kicks out or has terrible morning breath.

You can cook what you fancy when you're hungry and do the washing up whenever you're ready to. You don't have to avoid ingredients you love just because somebody else hates them, you don't get irritated when you've cooked three nights in a row and its not your turn but you'll have to do it again tonight because otherwise you'll go hungry or have to put up with a!!!! Sandwich.

You know that whatever was in the house when you left will be there when you get back. If the milk's gone its because you finished it, if there's hardly any loo roll left its because you haven't bought any new, you won't be taken by surprise!

You can keep the place as clean or as messy as you feel like depending on your mood, and you've only got your own washing in the basket to worry about.

You can decorate and furnish exactly how you want without having to compromise and without having to constantly defend your lovely home from assaults by horrible shelves, ugly paint colours and bad DIY that you are then expected to be grateful for.

You can use as much water, gas and electricity as you are comfortable with, you don't have to try and sneak around a skinflint who would rather see you get frostbite in January than turn a radiator on or someone who leaves every appliance in the house running at full power 24/7.

This is not my work I copied it quite a while ago but I can't remember from where so I have no idea who to thank but it's so true Lol
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • ever-hopeful
    Options
    I find it so annoying when train companies and others offer free entry to attractions for one person if accompanied by a paying adult and a train ticket (or whatever).
    If I'm on my own, I ought to be able to do the equivalent by just paying half price if I show my train ticket. Plenty of us travel solo (and enjoy it!), so why should we have to miss out? :(
  • Netwizard
    Netwizard Posts: 830 Forumite
    Options
    Think Viv pretty much covered it all :rotfl:

If i want to go out to the pub, and stagger in at 3am, I can do, without getting the cold shoulder off anyone. If I'm hungover and feeling like crap the next day, I have no-one to moan at me, and can laze around feeling sorry for myself without getting ear ache!

No dealing with "the mental". Its a generally peaceful life! So many people are under the thumb and unable to do the simple things like go for a pint without getting ear ache!

Bed to yourself is ace. No-one next to you chucking the covers off because they are too hot, or stealing the covers because they are too cold!

I don't know any different than being single. On the odd occasion it would be nice to have someone to share my life with, but on the whole, its nice being single :)
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Worst thing about being single... discovering all those "friends" who no longer have time for you now you're no longer part of a couple.

It seems there are some people who view being single as some kind of contagious disease instead of the incredibly liberating experience it really is!
  • katemw_2
    katemw_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I guess the obvious tip is to only buy as much food that might go off as you need (ignoring the tempting bogofs) and make good use of your freezer.

I make a batch of, say, the Hairy Bikers sweet and sour chicken at the weekend (adding more veg to really bulk it out)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_and_sour_chicken_52908
    then freeze it in individual portions using little takeaway containers from the pound shop.

I can just tip it frozen into a bowl, cover and microwave it from frozen if I come home on a busy weeknight and need tasty food fast!

Other tips involve clubbing in with friends - say I want something from an online shop but need to spend £30 for free delivery, I'll ask my friends if they want anything from there too so we can share the delivery :)
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    SueC wrote: »
    Worst thing about being single... discovering all those "friends" who no longer have time for you now you're no longer part of a couple.

It seems there are some people who view being single as some kind of contagious disease instead of the incredibly liberating experience it really is!

I think you'll find they are either frightened that you'll steal their partner or worse, show them what fun being single can be and give their partner ideas.......:rotfl:

Incredibly liberating is bang on. :T
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • ValleysGirl
    ValleysGirl Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    A slow cooker is great for making a pile of food which can then be put into individual containers and frozen.

If you need (or want) to stay in a hotel for a night or two, go for the chains like Premier Inn or Travelodge where they don't charge extra for just one person in a room, and look for their 'special offers' at certain times of the year. I'm going to a wedding in August and have just booked two single rooms for my brother and myself at £23 per night with Travelodge near Croydon (before the invites go out officially and all the other guests start booking up and the price goes up!). The only drawback is that this price is non-refundable, but since I'm not expecting the wedding to be called off...

If you enjoy a pint or two (like Netwizard - and me!), join Camra and look for pubs which offer discounts to Camra members. Not only that, when you join, you get a whole load of '50p off' vouchers to use in Wetherspoons pubs, which practically covers the cost of membership.

If you live in 'TrentBartonLand' (in Derbyshire), get a Mango card - not only does it save money on your bus fare but they have great offers to be used in shops, food pubs and restaurants. I enjoy eating out on my own, as well as with friends, and you can get up to 35% off in some places! (I don't eat out all the time, or there'd be no point in trying to save money! :)).
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Not feeling you *have* to cook a proper meal ..........not gritting your teeth when you are watching TV and someone starts twittering on about something , drowning out the sound that would have easily waited til the programme was over.

Overall after several years old singledom by choice I'm very happy in my newish relationship but he's away for a couple of days at the moment and I am enjoying the extra "space" although I'll be happy to have him back too.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Sparkle_66
    Sparkle_66 Posts: 53 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Now my children are young adults I have the urge to go on holiday by myself but why do I have to pay a single supplement if I'm staying in a single room? I would like to go on a cruise but single supplement is around £300 yet the room is only designed for 1 so why should I have to pay extra just to travel on my own? This is so unfair.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    My poor Mr B went into care a short while ago,but tbh, the single life has a lot going for it! I laughed at the decorating comment - I redecorated one room at Xmas and am part way through my bedroom now.

Savings wise, OK, i have to cover utilities and councl tax that I didn't before, but I also have a lot of choice about how much that costs. He used to like the house semi-tropical, I'm more temperate, I'm getting a water meter fitted and applied for the single person discount with the council tax office.

I find I spend so much less of food and rarely drink wine at home, so it's probably about equal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport