Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt-free Wannabe Challenges > Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread (Page 7)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread
Views: 6,124
# 121
kittiej
Old 24-02-2013, 1:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

OH, I just wrote a post and it's gone, gone away

Anyway, thanks FatVonD, Edwardia and Snaggles
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days 2000
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 122
kittiej
Old 24-02-2013, 7:04 PM

alrighty then my lunches for next week?

Well I'm thinking of shifting my baby belly - well baby is 7 years old after all I am thinking of going a little more low carb because I just seem to have been eating carby stodge through the winter.

I am thinking egg mayo salad and the trusty cheese in a salad as well
1 debt v 100 days 2000
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 123
babes21
Old 24-02-2013, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just put my lunch in the fridge ready for tomorrow; Wholemeal bread, scrambled eggs and spaghetti. I don't have anything too big for lunch so prefer something quick, easy and light.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 124
Snagggles
Old 24-02-2013, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My 12 year old is the cause of my 'baby' belly.
I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.

The pain you feel today is the strength you feel tomorrow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 125
Twiggy_34
Old 24-02-2013, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiej View Post
alrighty then my lunches for next week?

Well I'm thinking of shifting my baby belly - well baby is 7 years old after all I am thinking of going a little more low carb because I just seem to have been eating carby stodge through the winter.

I am thinking egg mayo salad and the trusty cheese in a salad as well
I haven't got kids so can't call it a baby belly, but have gained weight in the last few months so am also going for low GI options (I'm only looking to lose about 1/2 a stone). Trouble is I'm a fussy sod and don't do salad lol.

Am really with myself at the moment as I've just gone to prep tomorrows lunch and seem to have left my cous cous bowl at work. I've had a rummage to find a substitute but everything I've found so far is either too big or too small. I think I'll have to take the bits I need and wash my bowl up at work ready for use at lunch time.

D'oh! I just remembered, I took cookies into work last week as it was my birthday the week before. I put my "cous cous bowl" inside the tub to bring it home & that's where it was still hiding! Oh well, at least my lunch is all ready for me to take in with me tomorrow now
12k in 2014 #048 2500/2500 Running Challenge 2014 = 72.4km 2 Savers Club 2014 #59 TOTAL: 166 (2013 total = 160)
Mortgage over-payments of 66.39 a month commenced 1.2.2013 6309 of debt cleared in 2012/13

Last edited by Twiggy_34; 24-02-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Twiggy_34 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 126
mrsdee
Old 25-02-2013, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

slightly dull lunch today - had cheese and pickle sandwiches, although to be fair the pickle was home made (not by me, but by brother in law). Took some cherry tomatoes and had those as well, and a yoghurt and an apple. I have two clementines and a lidl cereal bar as emergency backup for later in the afternoon!
I have just 4lb to lose to get back to my target weight which I reached last summer and which then floated upwards a bit around Christmas time. As I have cut down on alcohol this seems to be doing the trick. and have had steady weightloss of around half a pound a week.
Tonight I'm going to make some mackerel pate and will have that tomorrow wlunch time ith some homemade bread. I'm also going to make some lowfat tea bread and will have a slice of that as my emergency afternoon snack fodder for the week!
yum yum
Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
MORTGAGE : Dec 2012 133,602. Dec 2013 114,092.47
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsdee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 127
kittiej
Old 25-02-2013, 8:13 PM

Hi everyone

Snaggles I'm glad I'm not the only one to have a bb years down the line

Twiggy-phew what a close shave that was. You sound a bit like myself, if my specific item goes amiss then I get really aggravated by it. Thank goodness you remembered

Well dones babes and mrsdee

we had a yummy Chinese tonight so I'll take the leftover curry and fried rice in my food flask tomorrow. So much for the cutting back on the stodge eh?
1 debt v 100 days 2000
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 128
babes21
Old 26-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Scrambled eggs on toast again for me today. I have a Peach and Pear for afterwards and also a Jam Doughnut .

I always have Crisps, Cereal Bars etc in my drawer at work just in case I get a little peckish.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 129
Snagggles
Old 26-02-2013, 4:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well done on being so close to your target weight even after Christmas mrsdee. I haven't been drinking this month, but I haven't lost weight. Bit annoying really, grr!

Thanks to being disorganised (again!), I had to buy a cheese sandwich for lunch today, although I did resist the expensive coffee and had the stuff they were serving at the training course (which was surprisingly good! The coffee AND the course!).

I have put a MugShot and a cereal bar into my bag for tomorrow, so I won't have an excuse for any more slip ups.
I'm a Money and Debt Adviser for a homelessness and housing charity in Scotland. If you have any questions about debt management and debt relief under Scots Law, just ask.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 130
mrsdee
Old 26-02-2013, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I ended up working from home today so made a kind of spanish omelette with odds and ends of veg in the fridge and some cheese on top, and had that with some HM bread.
I will take the other half of it with me to work tomorrow with some bread, along with a yoghurt and some fruit (probably the same clementines that have been coming to work and back with me for the past few days - lol!!) and a cereal bar. I def need to get it all together the night before as I like to get ready and out the door asap in the mornings to beat the traffic. Have found it much easier since no longer drinking during the week! Lol!
Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
MORTGAGE : Dec 2012 133,602. Dec 2013 114,092.47
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsdee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 131
mineallmine
Old 27-02-2013, 7:28 AM

Hello!! I'm still doing this. It's so good to get into this habit.

Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 132
Snagggles
Old 27-02-2013, 8:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh nooooo, picked up different bag, so don't have my lunch with me. Right, damage control. I have two Cup-a-Soups in my desk drawer, and a sachet of chocolate Horlicks. I'm only at work until 4pm, so that should be enough to keep me going, along with coffee! .

Evening edit: Woohoo, managed it!

Last edited by Snagggles; 27-02-2013 at 8:31 PM.
# 133
Twiggy_34
Old 28-02-2013, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagggles View Post
Oh nooooo, picked up different bag, so don't have my lunch with me. Right, damage control. I have two Cup-a-Soups in my desk drawer, and a sachet of chocolate Horlicks. I'm only at work until 4pm, so that should be enough to keep me going, along with coffee! .

Evening edit: Woohoo, managed it!
Well done Snaggles! I don't know if you had them in your drawer as a result of my tip saying it's what I do at work, but if so I'm really pleased it came in useful!

Funnily enough I was a little bit lazy lastnight and am starting to get bored of my 'low cal' lunches (they're still high cal, just not as high as they were lol). I'd just bought a fresh loaf of bread in the supermarket so decided to pack a couple of slices as my lunch and use them to dunk in the oxtail cup a soup I keep here. Bread is gone already but the bonus is that lunch lasts longer as the soup is too hot to wolf back like I might have done cooler and more solid lunches! (I'm still supping at it now). Must remember to replenish the stocks after my next shopping trip.

How has everyone coped with LTW days in February, it seems to have been quieter in here this month. Will there be a thread for March (apologies if I missed the post for this already)? I've had to start a log on my desk calendar for LTW days for each month as it's becoming harder to take into account annual leave days and the likes!
12k in 2014 #048 2500/2500 Running Challenge 2014 = 72.4km 2 Savers Club 2014 #59 TOTAL: 166 (2013 total = 160)
Mortgage over-payments of 66.39 a month commenced 1.2.2013 6309 of debt cleared in 2012/13
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Twiggy_34 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 134
FatVonD
Old 28-02-2013, 1:30 PM

I'm still hanging on in there, courgette and salami pasta for me today and yesterday though I picked the onions out of it today

My planned leftover noodles didn't happen on Monday as DH ate them Sunday night so I had leftover cauliflower cheese and parsnips on Monday instead. I've bought a few 'provisions' (*cough* chocolate) but from the supermarket and multipack prices.

I have bread in my drawer and cheese in the fridge for tomorrow

Well done to everyone

Last edited by FatVonD; 28-02-2013 at 1:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatVonD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 135
mineallmine
Old 28-02-2013, 5:56 PM

Hi, I'm still doing this. I now see leftovers as lunch fodder!

It feels good to not do these unnecessary food spends. Today I bought a perfume which cost what I used to spend each week.

Keep up the good work everyone
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 136
kittiej
Old 28-02-2013, 6:08 PM

Hi everyone

Apologies for not posting the new thread up yesterday

I will post it up now because I might be too busy later.

Big well dones to every one of you keep it up for March and by the end we will be through the first quarter of the year!

the new thread is called March-ing and munching 2013 so feel free to pop over
1 debt v 100 days 2000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 137
Candlewick
Old 28-02-2013, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Evening to you all

Hope everyone is well and reaching their targets!

I still haven't got around to making paella yet but I do intend to when I get a bit of time.

I finished the month 1 day short of my target but I am happy with that. still lots better than last year.

Enjoy your evening

CW
November Challenge: NSDs: 7 / 14
(Oct 11 / 16, Sep 13 / 15, Aug 15 / 15, Jul 14 / 14, Jun 17 / 12, May 13 / 23, Apr 17 / 15, Mar 14 / 15, Feb 21 / 15, Jan 15 / 15)

Gave up smoking - 01 / 01 / 13 (3rd time lucky!) - Day 321
Lesson learnt from 2012: I cannot be trusted to credit card stooze!
# 138
kobrakai
Old 28-02-2013, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Am still going along with this - my savings account sure appreciates me putting money in every Friday! I did slip last Friday though as I got home on Thursday and realised I had nothing to make sandwiches with...so I had to cheat and buy one from Tesco. Still managed to save 95 over the month though!
2 Savers Club 2014 #38 | 20p Savers Club 2014 #37 | 50p Savers Club 2014 #29
365 in 365 days #89 9/365 | DFBX2014 challenge #023 70/6500
Weekly Saving Challenge 2014 #30 6/1378
Save 12k in 2014 #159 80.62/2000
The Following User Says Thank You to kobrakai For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 139
SmarterNotHarder
Old 01-03-2013, 1:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well that's February over! Managed 2/3 days this week - I'm on annual leave today! However, Wednesday was a planned spend day as I "deserved" a treat and I was on a course

Tuesday was a jacket potato I'd cooked at home when the oven was on anyway and some coleslaw I'd packed into a tub - see adventurous!! and yesterday was my usual cheese sarnie along with the crisps etc.

thats a total february spend of 2.92

It's great to see how well everyone is doing and I hope everyone is well
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in 2014
57 UU 44 Ins 4 TA/GA Total spend 25.28
and 150 Advantage Points
September 4 UU 3 INs 1 TA/GA Total Spend 1.49
# 140
kitrat
Old 01-03-2013, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

How long would you think spanish omelette would keep in the fridge?