IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Ultimate February Challenge
Views: 27,528
# 461
rosiecheeksblossom
Old 24-02-2013, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all, long time no see.....
Apologies for not checking in sooner, feeling a tad embarassed about the state of affairs. But need to owe up otherwise theres no point in following your challenges, and I do think everyone is doing a marvellous job with support and tips to help us all debt bust.
Anyhoo, my budgets are a little stretched - petrol way over and need to top up today too, had a few unpredicted trips as sadly a friend's mum died and have been over to see her a few times, although I would never ever begrudge this.

Food - did big spend on thurs but will minus the difference off March's budget, didnt plan the shop very well tho had tea out fri, sat and today - spends have all been out of my going out fund. But now have full fridge freezer and cupboards which should last a fortnight bar milk and some fresh fruit and veg.

Other - way way over, sponsored brother 10 and put a donation in at funeral. Although I did buy a WW book 4.95.
Really need to sort my diet out so it was an incentive buy, got to my 2 stone target last july, 2 and half stone is still eluding me.....
Only slightly over on presents and still have 50 on going out budget. Hoping that will counteract the overspends....

On a lighter note more rugby later and roast lamb tea at my mum's yummy!!!!

looking forward to March's challenge NSK, enjoy your sunday everyone
TTFN xxx
Halifax CC All paid Mort 7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20

Last edited by rosiecheeksblossom; 24-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosiecheeksblossom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 462
poodlegal
Old 24-02-2013, 3:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all just checking in as ive been awol (well having a quick lurk to keep motivated). Yesterday was my youngests 6th birthday and we had a day out for me and the 3 children for 20- we opted for the kids special at the cinema (7.00) a bakery pie and cake car picnic (6) a little treat in the shops each (small toy or accessory) 5 then a 2 donation to a free petting farm and then tea and birthday cake at grannys (free!!!) so it was a lovely day. Maybe not up to everyone else 6th Birthday treat standards but we enjoyed it! Just got to hang on in there now as the end of the month is in sight!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 463
Siouxsie32
Old 24-02-2013, 6:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hugs to PurpleJay and rosiecheeksblossom - sounds like you've had a rough week

Abundant, I kinda picture you as the cool uncle! I am an aunt and I'm different from all the other aunts and uncles in that a) there's no uncle b) I don't see my lot very often either and c) I bring cool gifts that they can't get where they live. Since you don't get to visit very often, your nephew/niece will get your full attention when you do visit - that also makes you cool! I have all the time in the world to help with homework or listen to the dodgy violin playing because I don't have the normal distractions of my real life. I love having late nights and lazy breakfasts in our PJs while their mum and dad turn a blind eye to the lack of discipline because aunty Siouxsie's here!! Yip, every child needs a cool aunt or uncle - that my friend, is us

Today was fairly productive. Took back a lamp that was a bit like the leaning tower of Pisa (it was bought during a Mystery Shopping visit so fully reimbursed anyway, but I didn't like it so I got a refund ). Also took back a pretty useless piece of kit I bought from a hardware store and got a refund there too - 42 back to me for hardly any effort! Managed to list a few things on ebay so hopefully next week I'll have another few to add to the kitty! I also signed up to the NowTV free 30 day trail through Quidco and will earn a cool 12 cashback for watching a few movies. And, last but not least, I visited 3 beauty counters and got little samples of moisturisers as I've completely run out! There's about 2 weeks worth there - I love a freebie

My calculation of my wages is an unhappy story. I'll not know for a few more days for sure but I reckon my wages are around 150 less than my outgoings next month Ebay will help, as will the 42 refund I got today. A bit of kat's whip cracking and I'll get through March with what I have, plus I'll scavenge some extra from somewhere to get the pesky debt down as well!!
450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
9107.25 0 (60 days early)
New Challenge for 2014:
20,136.47 17709.22 (More than twice as much in less time )

Last edited by Siouxsie32; 24-02-2013 at 7:48 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Siouxsie32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 464
nannygladys
Old 24-02-2013, 7:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi everyone, well hope you are all OK, hugs to all who need and well done to those who are achieving their targets, well my confession time is here I guess

Yesterday I needed some milk and went to Mr T's which is the nearest SM (not the one I work in though) and as I had just been paid I had money in the bank (I havent any excuses at all, Im just trying to make myself feel better) but I ended up spending 53in there. It was all on food and most was on fresh veg and fruit along with all my breadmaking stuff to last me next month. Anyway I think the only thing that I bought that I wont use was a bunch of daffs, and they me feel happy so I convinced myself they were for my own wellbeing. Anyway confession over and roll on March challange. (I could kick myself really and if it was some clothes or similar I think I would be taking it back, it means my OD wont have gone down as much as I would have liked)

Today was a SFD as Ive been at work all day, and tomorrow will be as well as Im working all day as well. Well off for a lurk on the other boards and I dont feel any better for confessing just very stupid, oh well at least it will all get eaten I suppose.

Jxx
CC1 OD

SPC no 186 doing well so far
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nannygladys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 465
Gretchen2012
Old 24-02-2013, 10:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi gang

Well I've made just over 60 on eBay and I have listed another seven items today so over target for the month. I think I might try and get a few more on before I go to bed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels guilty about not having loads of days out over half term. My dd is really good with money but does like a splurge every now and then but still keeps hold of some.

It's not just that I can't afford it but also cos I'm working too. I know it's part time but it still ruins a good day out. Got a couple of good trips out already booked and paid for in the summer which we are both really looking forward to.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend. Can't wait for a sneek preview tomorrow night Kat.
LBM - 02/02/13 - 9000.00
Updated - 02/01/14 - 0/5486.72 DFD 30/06/15
The Janus Illusion #23 - 4/20 SFD Food 37.94/160 Petrol 0/120 Misc 10.72/80
2 Saver #28 - 8/200
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen2012 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 466
thriftylass
Old 25-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My eBay sales didn't go quite as well as I'd have liked this time, but heyho. Had so many watchers but they never really started bidding (guess if I want more money don't start so low . Also lost out on a buy it now option for an old phone as someone bid on it while I was arranging pick up from my house from someone else in my town but he hadn't bought it yet online, so I'm stuck to the auction now. Well, I'm still learning

Had friends round for curry afternoon/night yesterday, but I'm not used to this entertaining anymore, the money spend on it , the two days preparation and days of cleanup (8 adults, plus as many kids, plus poppadoms and burst balloons everywhere) for a bit of a rushed meal it felt. But it was good to see them and tell them our news. Luckily hubby is off today and will tackle the worst. And at least we got quite a few leftovers as we cooked/bought too much.

Hugs to Purplejay, hope your mum is better today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 467
karmachilovething
Old 25-02-2013, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSavingKat View Post
I DID NOT MENTION CHIN PLUCKING!! Cheeky Chops!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxsie32 View Post
If anyone's interested, they only charge 10 for a chin wax
Quote:
Originally Posted by abundant1972 View Post

you gals are headed for a beard that will rival Gandalf's!

I am the chin plucker! Well actually I go for a combination of zapping it with sound waves and electrolissis, a bit more expensive the Siouxsies's suggestion, but it does actually kill the hair, so I need it less and less and hopefully I'll ultimately avoid becoming Gandalf

Anyway enough of that . . . ahem

Purplejay, hope you're recovered from the weekend. Sounds like a very stressful day, but ultimately turned out the best it could.

I moved out of my house on the weekend - with a cold too so was absolutely done in on Saturday. BF did stirling work lifting and carrying - I felt very lucky to have him this weekend. Met the agent just before lunhc and seemd pretty positive. Fingers crossed for a full return of the deposit!
Total debt: 9473.62 7,656.75 19% PAID
APS #45 | 9/20 SFDs | 3/10 eBay | 1/10 exercise | 3/10 Meat-free | Groceries 0/20 | Beauty 13.99/30
Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
DFD: June 2015
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karmachilovething For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 468
mayfair1985
Old 25-02-2013, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm hereeee and alive!!!! Just....

Firstly - purple - hugs.

Secondly - I've over spent. This weekend is going to be the last of the spends for the month so i'm here with my confessional.

This month I have cracked a big chunk of the debt off to the tune of 1600. This has only happened through budgeting and scrimping. I know that I had a spendy month but i managed to stay, for the best part, in budget. I earnt approximately 32 extra so it really just was planning and sticking to the budget that meant I could pay that much off.

My confessional.... On sunday I was too hungover to get on eBay. And to make matters worse we got Pizza taking us 26 over the total budget for the month.

And things I have learnt this month:

-It doesn't matter how you dress it is, NSD, SFD, SIAD (Spend it all day!) I can't keep track of them. I just can't. So there.

-Tramps want fags not tea (or maybe that was just mine??)

-Planning a budget makes it easier to stick too

So that's me for the month. Can't wait for the next challenge to bring us one step closer to DFD and A HOLIDAY!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mayfair1985 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 469
poodlegal
Old 25-02-2013, 2:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair1985 View Post

And things I have learnt this month:

-It doesn't matter how you dress it is, NSD, SFD, SIAD (Spend it all day!) I can't keep track of them. I just can't. So there.
Me neither!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 470
karmachilovething
Old 25-02-2013, 2:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair1985 View Post
If it helps, I colour the day pink on my spreadsheet (don't know why pink, friendlier but as eye catching at red?!) and also number them. Otherwise I'd have no idea where I was either.
Total debt: 9473.62 7,656.75 19% PAID
APS #45 | 9/20 SFDs | 3/10 eBay | 1/10 exercise | 3/10 Meat-free | Groceries 0/20 | Beauty 13.99/30
Proud to be Dealing with my Debt
DFD: June 2015
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karmachilovething For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 471
NinjaSavingKat
Old 25-02-2013, 4:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Hello Chickadees.

Did I just blink and miss that weekend.

I spent Saturday night at work, slept for preciselty 3.5 hours before the Dalmation started howling and woke me up, straight to a 1 year olds birthday party, viewed a house that was nearby, helped pack up said Birthday Party, came home shattered, slept very well with the moggy as a pillow ( fluffly and vibrating - lol )... checked dress and coat into laundrette for repairs and dry-cleaning and voila - 56 on the credit card! NOT HAPPY!!!!

Starting to realise how expensive this Ball is going to be. I should have stuck to my guns and said NO from the very beginning. SO far with the dress and the ticket it has cost me a whopping 240. I know we are meeting HRH Princess Anne, and we won't do this very often but my goodness am I going to eBay that dress now...It will be something to tell the Grandkiddies though.

Anyway.. I am sat at work until 1930. I have printed out an A4 page with the days ready to be filled in. I have requested overtime on 7 of the 10 weekend days in March so at one point this month I will be working a straight 22 days with 1 day off booked with free tickets to the Ideal Home Show. Other than this I have to book in the girlfriend I dodged this month for her Birthday dinner.

Beat that for dedication!!!

I will be whip cracking in March. I need it. I also need to get pennies together for my holiday and I am starting to panic. SO I AM TAKING YOU WITH ME. Yes it will be hard but everyone including myself has slacked off this month and its times to get back on IT!!!

So I looked at that house again and have decided to take it. She is removing the bed so I can take mine with me ( storage capacity underneath ) and just needs to verify that moggy is okay to move in and we are good to go. She needs 475 + 60 admin fee ( will be questioning this ) and will hold the place until I can move on the 1st April. So I MUST have the money ready for her and for my holidays - there is no way around this...

I shall be calculating food expenditure / CC payments ( paid for my brothers flight to see me next month and the dress ), and the basic on which I have to live. There will be another eBay challenge and I am really going to expect people to get rid of a lot of stuff. Its time to get super ruthless.

So I hope you are ready for whats coming your way. As much as I love helping homeless folk - its being outlawed in March! Every penny for himself and YOU need to save it!!!

So this is what I will work on today and tomorrow. I am planning to have it up and running by tomorrow possible lunchtime. I am away at the weekend ( work weekend, all travel and food / lodgings supplied ) so there will be minimal time for me to update. I will add instructions though..

Onwards and Upwards!!!
Travel Savings Fund ; 3700 / 12000

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 472
thriftylass
Old 25-02-2013, 4:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh I can't wait for March. Love the tougher approach coming NSK, think we all need it for various reasons. And good god that is some overtime .

Won't need to spend anymore till Thursday payday apart from ebay postage and still got some money for that in my wallet. Spreadsheets are ready, March here I come (February please finish asap).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thriftylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 473
NinjaSavingKat
Old 25-02-2013, 4:52 PM

******* March's Challenge will be up TONIGHT ******

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 474
Ninno820
Old 25-02-2013, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

oooh - I cant wait to see what evils you have in store for us!!

First day back at work ( I love it really!) and its a SFD. I was given a calendar for christmas which I dont particulalry like. Every night before bed I write up my step count for the day and how much I've spent / SFD / NSD etc. Its become part of my routine now.

I am struggling with ebay at the moment - my carp is too carp to be attractive I guess!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ninno820 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 475
NinjaSavingKat
Old 25-02-2013, 6:19 PM

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4466159

May I apologise in advance...And I forgot to take NSK CHALLENGE out before posting... eejit!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 476
Gretchen2012
Old 25-02-2013, 6:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oooohhh Kat can't wait....

Got two watchers on one my e-bay items but didn't get anymore on last night. Going to wait now for the March challenge.

I've totally blew my budgets and am gutted with myself. But as this was my first month doing it I'm hoping I can sort out where I went wrong.

Hope everyone had a lovely cheap weekend.
LBM - 02/02/13 - 9000.00
2 Saver #28 - 8/200
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen2012 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 477
Gretchen2012
Old 25-02-2013, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ohhh my newbie picture has gone
Signed up for the new challenge. Let battle commence
LBM - 02/02/13 - 9000.00
2 Saver #28 - 8/200
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen2012 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 478
NinjaSavingKat
Old 25-02-2013, 6:36 PM

Gretchen my budget went out the window too - am so annoyed. But we can pull it back in this month... well done for signing up to the next one.. lets get those budgets done!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 479
poodlegal
Old 25-02-2013, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have signed up I'm pretty pleased with Feb, the spends budget was gone over but very hard with birthdays and school hols to contend with as well as my eldest actually needing clothes, boiler and car both breaking down and tbh i'm pretty impressed that I kept it as low as I did. Though I did have a couple of slip ups. BUT March needs to make up for this and I WILL find something to ebay this month and really work on the find 100 as well as get a grip of keeping track of the SFDs. I am ready for action! Rrraaaahhhhh!
# 480
poodlegal
Old 25-02-2013, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh also wanted to just add I still havent bought any alcohol since NYE as we had that little conversation in Januarys challenge. Actually feeling quite good and not missing it at all. (Loving my new empty bottle recycling bin!)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to poodlegal For This Useful Post: Show me >>