Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > iPhone 4S with ???? Water damage! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
iPhone 4S with ???? Water damage!
Reply
Views: 1,039
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
LG30
Old 28-11-2012, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default iPhone 4S with ???? Water damage!

After purchasing my iPhone 4S on contract from 02 in June, all was fine until a few weeks ago when the speakers stopped working. No sound from keypad, slider tone or when watching a video clip. It rings occasionally! After contacting 02 - as my phone is under warranty (although not insured) they sent my phone to Apple to repair.

The day after the repair centre received it, they sent me a text message to say the phone has water damage and cannot be repaired under warranty. They would like 110 to fix it!!

I now have my non-repaired phone back. My questions are though, how can my phone be water damaged when its never been near water?? I'm very careful with my phone and its always had a cover on and stays inside a sleeve when not in use. Apparently the charger doc is corroded from this too. I've had the phone since June....why on earth is it corroded already? I don't have problems with this part of the phone.

I've heard/read so many stories now of people being to their phones are water damaged and not coveted under warranty.

Can anyone advise if they have had similar problems? And if so, what I can do as I feel my phone shouldn't have any sort of damage like this after only a few months.

Thank you :-)
LG30 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
albionrovers
Old 28-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,887
Default

Do you play music in the bath? Condensation and all that?
albionrovers is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
thatsean
Old 29-11-2012, 7:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 980
Default

#it's quite common, using the phone in the rain, after a heavy workout, on a humid day can all get moisture into the phone. As Albion says - using the phone to play music, or text in the bath is one I'm terrible for - and on day I know I'll get an out of warranty phone for it.

Unless you live somewhere where the humidity is zero - your options are to get an Apple approved repair centre to check it out as a second opinion.

Repair centres are paid by the mfr for fixes, not to reject jobs - whilst im sure some blagging does on, broadly, there's not much of an incentive for them to reject the job with a 110 invoice, rather than replace the phone and invoice Apple 350 for it. They do it because they know the warranty wont cover it.

Last edited by thatsean; 29-11-2012 at 4:47 PM.
thatsean is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 4
LG30
Old 30-11-2012, 8:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

I've never used my phone to listen to music in the bath (although my husband does use his to listen to music all the time whilst in the bath and has never had any trouble)

Ironic that you could buy a cheaper handset and not have any like problems.

It's seems that so many people are told there phones are water damaged that this is a bad thing for apple. Phones are made to be used!!!! My friend was told that condensation from her talking can cause problems with her phone. It's ridiculous.
LG30 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 5
gjchester
Old 30-11-2012, 8:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG30 View Post
It's seems that so many people are told there phones are water damaged that this is a bad thing for apple. Phones are made to be used!!!! My friend was told that condensation from her talking can cause problems with her phone. It's ridiculous.
Due to people in the past water damaging phones and claiming it was a warranty fault most manufactureres put in moisture sensative indicators. Simply put they are stickers that go red when they get wet. The problem is that moisture can so all sorts of damaged from shorting circuits when its still liquid, to drying out and leaving salts that cause corrosion or shorting. It's often not cost effective to fix a phone as there may be more damage later on and water damage is almost exclusivly user damage, it's hard to see it happening in the factory as a manufacturing defect (although the sensers can fail sometimes and give false posatives)

Once the sensors are tripped that it, they are tripped regardless if it's a false posative or not, and all smartphones have them. It's not really just Apple. Apple is reported more as there are more iPhone out there than anything else.

Apple is actually better than most, if they see the sensors on the headphone jack going red they will check the others so it take more than one to be classed as water damage.

None of this helps you but is the reason why they have them and water damage is reported more..
gjchester is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 6
Emy1501
Old 30-11-2012, 8:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,757
Default

I would go back to Apple and advise that the phone has not been dropped in water and therefore on what basis they believe the phone has suffered water damage.

if they come back with the condensation argument then I would go back to the retailer pointing out the phone is not fit for purpose. No way that a phone should fail due to condensation.

It seems to me that manufacturers are using this argument to get out of repairing faulty phones.
Emy1501 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emy1501 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
gjchester
Old 30-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy1501 View Post
I would go back to Apple and advise that the phone has not been dropped in water and therefore on what basis they believe the phone has suffered water damage.

if they come back with the condensation argument then I would go back to the retailer pointing out the phone is not fit for purpose. No way that a phone should fail due to condensation.

It seems to me that manufacturers are using this argument to get out of repairing faulty phones.

Apple will simply show you the red activated sensors and say there has been moisture present. You can see where the obvious ones are here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302 but there are two more internally see http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en...,r:7,s:0,i:108.


They may suggest the cause is condensation, but it's only a suggestion the sensors can't tell you what cause them to trip, all they say is the phone has been exposed to moisture not how. Apple have been are reported to allow warranty repairs if the internal ones are not tripped even if the two external ones are.


They sensors can be over sensative but it most likely come down to the OP having to proving lack of water contact, which would be almost impossible.

If in the past people hadn't water damaged phones andthen tried to claim on warranties so much we may not be in the situation we are, but not a lot we can do about it now..
gjchester is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to gjchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Emy1501
Old 30-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
Apple will simply show you the red activated sensors and say there has been moisture present. You can see where the obvious ones are here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302 but there are two more internally see http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en...,r:7,s:0,i:108.


They may suggest the cause is condensation, but it's only a suggestion the sensors can't tell you what cause them to trip, all they say is the phone has been exposed to moisture not how. Apple have been are reported to allow warranty repairs if the internal ones are not tripped even if the two external ones are.


They sensors can be over sensative but it most likely come down to the OP having to proving lack of water contact, which would be almost impossible.

If in the past people hadn't water damaged phones andthen tried to claim on warranties so much we may not be in the situation we are, but not a lot we can do about it now..
The small claims court is very claimant friendly. If a claimant says the phone was not dropped in water then it will be down to Apple or the retailer to prove it was. Apple will have to admit that the sensor could be triggered by condensation and there is a reasonable chance that this could be caused by any sort of consendation.

I suspect there is little chance a court would accept this arguement.

A phone has to be fit for purpose and manufactuers suggesting phones should be used in a moisture free environment is a nonsense.
Emy1501 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Emy1501 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
LG30
Old 30-11-2012, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emy1501 View Post
The small claims court is very claimant friendly. If a claimant says the phone was not dropped in water then it will be down to Apple or the retailer to prove it was. Apple will have to admit that the sensor could be triggered by condensation and there is a reasonable chance that this could be caused by any sort of consendation.

I suspect there is little chance a court would accept this arguement.

A phone has to be fit for purpose and manufactuers suggesting phones should be used in a moisture free environment is a nonsense.
Thank you! My point exactly. A phone should be fit for purpose. Think I will be fighting my corner on this one. My phone is 4 months old and should be working perfectly well as it is looked after.


Will take it to our nearest apple store to put my questions to them.

Thanks for replying :-)
LG30 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 10
sniggings
Old 30-11-2012, 1:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,127
Default

one of the sensors is in the headphone jack, I wonder why Apple have now moved this to the bottom of the phone! a drop of rain would easily get in the iphone 4/4s phone jack when it was on the top of the phone.

sniggings is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 11
gjchester
Old 30-11-2012, 3:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggings View Post
one of the sensors is in the headphone jack, I wonder why Apple have now moved this to the bottom of the phone! a drop of rain would easily get in the iphone 4/4s phone jack when it was on the top of the phone.
Which is why Apple usually check both external and internal sensor stickers.

The headphone jack on the 4 is on the top, the other external sensor is on the dock connector. rain on the heaphone jack alone would not be rejected.
gjchester is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 12
sniggings
Old 30-11-2012, 6:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
Which is why Apple usually check both external and internal sensor stickers.

The headphone jack on the 4 is on the top, the other external sensor is on the dock connector. rain on the heaphone jack alone would not be rejected.
I only have your word for the "fact" they check for 2 triggered sensors.

Even if true, it still means one of the sensors can be triggered too easily.

It still doesn't answer my question as to why they have now put the jack on the bottom of the phone, seems a bit daft, from a jack point of view to have it in the bottom of the phone, with the headphones in place, your phone will now be upside down! The only sense I can make of it is that it was setting off too many sensor triggers being on the top, as if a sensor is triggered more examination of the phone would be needed, which may not be needed.


Last edited by sniggings; 30-11-2012 at 6:34 PM.
sniggings is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 13
gjchester
Old 30-11-2012, 6:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggings View Post
I only have your word for the "fact" they check for 2 triggered sensors.

Even if true, it still means one of the sensors can be triggered too easily.

It still doesn't answer my question as to why they have now put the jack on the bottom of the phone, seems a bit daft, from a jack point of view to have it in the bottom of the phone, with the headphones in place, your phone will now be upside down! The only sense I can make of it is that it was setting off too many sensor triggers being on the top, as if a sensor is triggered more examination of the phone would be needed, which may not be needed.
Your rihgt you only have my work, I can't prove it, I don't work for apple so can't show you a policy document.

People can stop the "accidental" triggering by not using the phone in the rain when rain can get in. People use phones in the rain whne no-one would think of pulling out a laptop.

And your right the only reason Apple moved it to stop triggering it, nothing do do with a bigger screen and battery and the entire phone is smaller. By shrinking the dock connecot they made some space so the headphone jace (whcih can't be shrunk moved), and and the fact the vibrator motor is now where the headphones were. They've also standardised the placing on the ipod too. And it's probably better if your running as it's now the right way up to read the screen when running.,


The Iphone 5 sensor is inside the sim tray if Apple where so set on invalidating everyones warranty by water damage why did they move it to some where less likely to be accidentially triggered??
gjchester is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 14
LG30
Old 30-11-2012, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
Your rihgt you only have my work, I can't prove it, I don't work for apple so can't show you a policy document.

People can stop the "accidental" triggering by not using the phone in the rain when rain can get in. People use phones in the rain whne no-one would think of pulling out a laptop.

And your right the only reason Apple moved it to stop triggering it, nothing do do with a bigger screen and battery and the entire phone is smaller. By shrinking the dock connecot they made some space so the headphone jace (whcih can't be shrunk moved), and and the fact the vibrator motor is now where the headphones were. They've also standardised the placing on the ipod too. And it's probably better if your running as it's now the right way up to read the screen when running.,


The Iphone 5 sensor is inside the sim tray if Apple where so set on invalidating everyones warranty by water damage why did they move it to some where less likely to be accidentially triggered??
Then obviously is a design flaw in the previous iPhones so they have admitted to the sensor needing moved?
LG30 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 15
sniggings
Old 30-11-2012, 7:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjchester View Post
Your rihgt you only have my work, I can't prove it, I don't work for apple so can't show you a policy document.

People can stop the "accidental" triggering by not using the phone in the rain when rain can get in. People use phones in the rain whne no-one would think of pulling out a laptop.

And your right the only reason Apple moved it to stop triggering it, nothing do do with a bigger screen and battery and the entire phone is smaller. By shrinking the dock connecot they made some space so the headphone jace (whcih can't be shrunk moved), and and the fact the vibrator motor is now where the headphones were. They've also standardised the placing on the ipod too. And it's probably better if your running as it's now the right way up to read the screen when running.,


The Iphone 5 sensor is inside the sim tray if Apple where so set on invalidating everyones warranty by water damage why did they move it to some where less likely to be accidentially triggered??

mate calm down, I didn't say Apple were doing anything, I was asking why the move and saying that the jack on the top was not the best place for a jack, using the phone in the rain and having water go down the jack is not the same as water damage, as the setting of the jack sensor does not mean the phone would be damaged, my point was it would be easier to get false sensors triggers when the jack was on the top.

Not sure what your running example is trying to prove, 1st I doubt apple would design an iphone with running in mind and 2nd even if they did, the jack being in the top doesn't make the iphone less user friendly or should I say runner friendly.


Last edited by sniggings; 30-11-2012 at 7:13 PM.
sniggings is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to sniggings For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sniggings
Old 30-11-2012, 7:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG30 View Post
Then obviously is a design flaw in the previous iPhones so they have admitted to the sensor needing moved?

that would be my guess as it's quite a big change, and does seem a daft place to have an open hole, on the top of the phone, add into that putting a sensor in there too, no wonder these sensors are going off.

There is a big difference in using the phone on a day to day basis and being refused a warranty repair because of water damage.

You could ask for the pics as they do send them out showing the damage, if it's quite bad then you may agree but if they just show you a triggered sensor I would not be happy.

sniggings is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to sniggings For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cmatt
Old 01-12-2012, 7:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Default

as others have said - if you can get to a repair centre try your luck there. Also book a genius bar appointment at the apple store.

To me it sounds more like a problem with the dock connector where the iphone thinks it is docked. Try adjusting the phones ringer using the volume buttons. If it is 'docked' when you press the buttons there will be no indicators showing up when you press up/down and it will just show 'ringer: ' I had the same issue and the only way round it was a swap out for another iphone.
cmatt is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 18
LG30
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Talking

Today I visited our nearest Apple store and told them my story about my iPhone. Within minutes of being there, they replaced my phone with a brand new iPhone FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Thank you Apple store in Braehead. I'm so glad I pursued my case and didn't just give in and pay the initial 110!!!

LG30 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to LG30 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:52 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 16 April 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Weekly email:Free breaking bad, top shares ISA, HOT bband deal ending, 2.5% cash ISA, Tesco wine sale, £10 champers.. h?
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Ovivo closure: MSE?s reported the mobile firm to authorities. If you?ve been affected, here?s how you can complain http?
  • Right switching off Twitter now. Going back offline. Thanks to those of both sides tweets for making it a more enjoyable watch.

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 87
  • THE VAMPSMEET THE VAMPS (DELUXE VERSION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSFROZEN (ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.