Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuthbertlilly
    • By cuthbertlilly 6th Dec 12, 11:28 PM
    • 671Posts
    • 185Thanks
    cuthbertlilly
    T-mobile renewals - 37GB data use per month! (advice please)
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:28 PM
    T-mobile renewals - 37GB data use per month! (advice please) 6th Dec 12 at 11:28 PM
    Evening all,
    I'm coming towards the end of my 12-month SIM only contract with T-mobile, which is £9.50 per month for 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.
    However, they have baffled me by saying I use 37GB of data per month!! Now I use my lumia 710 to do betfair, BBC sport, a few apps, yahoo email for circa 2 hours a day - surely that can't be 37GB of data per month??!! ... Or can it?

Are they telling fibs to make me think of staying with them?
    As I was thinking of going to Three or Virgin, but am worried about potentially high data costs.

T-mobile annoy me as they charge for lyca mobile calls, voicemails and 0800 calls (but don't charge extra for data).

Any advice or experiences appreciated folks ...
Page 1
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 6th Dec 12, 11:42 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:42 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:42 PM
    By 'BBC sport', are you streaming programmes and for how many hours a week?

Surely T Mobile would have slowed or restricted your usage long before reaching that figure?
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 06-12-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    #JeSuisCharlie
    • cuthbertlilly
    • By cuthbertlilly 6th Dec 12, 11:45 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    cuthbertlilly
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:45 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:45 PM
    No, not streaming sport at all. I only watch about 10 mins of YouTube per month.
    Also, online banking, surfing, betfair, a few light apps.
    I'm very incredulous at the 37GB per month claim from t-mobile.
    Can I get them to send me a detailed breakdown of data usage?
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 6th Dec 12, 11:49 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:49 PM
    • 6th Dec 12, 11:49 PM
    Sounds like you might have some malware on your phone.
    #JeSuisCharlie
    • banger9365
    • By banger9365 7th Dec 12, 12:10 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    banger9365
    • 7th Dec 12, 12:10 AM
    • 7th Dec 12, 12:10 AM
    well i am on t-mobile and i've killed there FUP off 750Mbs,so far its upto 2GB and i've had there text telling i've gone over but no slow down or restrictions,still stream video, up load and down load stuff and still hitting 20Mbs second in the right areas ,
    but 37GB do's seem a lot for a mobile ,when i watch live tv on my phone for 40 minutes a day and only hit 2gb with 4 day to go until refresh date
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• Basil1234
    • 7th Dec 12, 6:50 AM
    • 7th Dec 12, 6:50 AM
    sounds to me like they might be trying it to say the least, take it you told them im going to move then they come back with the line do you realise you are using 37gb a month to worry you. don't believe it myself think feeding you bull to make sure you stay.
    suggest you download a free monitor something like
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=searc h_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5vbmF2by5hbmRyb2 lkLm9uYXZvaWQiXQ..

to find out the truth but i think i know the answer!
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 7th Dec 12, 8:10 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 7,552 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 7th Dec 12, 8:10 AM
    • 7th Dec 12, 8:10 AM
    I don't know if this may be a factor, but my OH's daughter got a Lumia 710 last month on Talkmobile. For 18 months she had been using an Android with 500mb per month that she never exceeded.

Within 10 days, Talkmobile contacted her and said she had used 9gb. She swears she has not changed her usage, or added any apps.

Wonder if Windows Tango is the offender here??
  • Emy1501
    • 7th Dec 12, 9:15 AM
    • 7th Dec 12, 9:15 AM
    I use my data manager on android will breakdown everything used and how much is used via mobile data, wifi or roaming.

Sounds like nonsense if you do not download movies etc.

I surf for about an hour a day using mobile data and only use on average about 300mb per month.

You could download a data app and monitor your usage over a few days and see if there is a problem
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 7th Dec 12, 10:07 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 7,552 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 7th Dec 12, 10:07 AM
    • 7th Dec 12, 10:07 AM

You could download a data app and monitor your usage over a few days and see if there is a problem
    Originally posted by Emy1501
    Regrettably, there does not seem to be such an app for Windows 7, unlike Android that has loads.

Big omission, Microsoft and, of course, not much incentive for Windows 7 developers to write one, unless Windows 8 compatible.
  • Emy1501
    Oh didn't realise the OP had a windows phone. Yeah apps are a bit naff as my dad has the 610 and could not find any data apps and even some of the general apps are poor compared to the android version.

Windows 7 phones are not worth it unless youR not bothered about apps.
  • cgk1
    Even so I have a windows phone and you'd have to go at it to get to 37gb a month, if the OPs description of their usage is about right - then they might be out by a few hundred meg but out by 30 or so gb of data? Doubtful.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 7th Dec 12, 5:34 PM
    • 10,394 Posts
    • 5,854 Thanks
    DUTR
    Evening all,
    I'm coming towards the end of my 12-month SIM only contract with T-mobile, which is £9.50 per month for 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.
    However, they have baffled me by saying I use 37GB of data per month!! Now I use my lumia 710 to do betfair, BBC sport, a few apps, yahoo email for circa 2 hours a day - surely that can't be 37GB of data per month??!! ... Or can it?

Are they telling fibs to make me think of staying with them?
    As I was thinking of going to Three or Virgin, but am worried about potentially high data costs.

T-mobile annoy me as they charge for lyca mobile calls, voicemails and 0800 calls (but don't charge extra for data).

Any advice or experiences appreciated folks ...
    Originally posted by rj2009
    What does the data counter on the handset suggest?
    3.7gb maybe more realistic, a colleague had used 11gb in a month, he wasn't streaming as such , just the data was clocking up on his handset after he had visited youtube.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,774Posts Today

9,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The new personal savings allowance - here's how it works... https://t.co/mW8Lc6cXZ2

• Just heard @RichardJLloyd is stepping down as Exec Director of Which? He's been a brilliant ambassador for them, shame for the organisation

• M'weekly email: 6% tax free, BIG freebies, marriage tax, Sky code, Starbucks241, Touche Eclat£15, 40mth0%, Valentine https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin