Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kirstypark
    To Freedom...
    • 5th Dec 12, 9:50 PM
    To Freedom... 5th Dec 12 at 9:50 PM
    Hello folks,

Been lurking around here for a while and wanted to start posting. My OH and I have been paying a morgage since we were 18 and finally paid it off this year. We found it hard going in the early years and would often joke about being in our early 40s with no morgage. However, moved house a few years ago to a much more expensive area and had to take out a further advance which had another 15 years to run. Meaning we would have paid a morgage most of our working life

When I found this site, I learned the benefit of overpaying and have been doing this for a while now. Have managed to cut our eventual date by 2 years and 3 months. With both morgages we were due 120,000, now we "only" owe 58,300. Our fixed rate finished this year and is now half of what we previously were paying.

We live with our adult son, and our daughter has recently arrived hime from living abroad, so space is tight. My OH has gone from being not very interested to being more moneysaving than me...I have created a monster

I have recently changed jobs for one with more sociable hours, but slightly less pay, OH is self employed and his earnings are very variable, the kids are paying a small amount for rent. Our plan is to throw as much as we can at the morgage whilst rates are low, live frugally and try to get rid of this. Then we might be able to help the kids out with housing...Well a girl can dream!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,897Posts Today

8,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • On train home from Birmingham. Had dinner by the canal there this evening. Lovely area, very sunny and picturesque.

• Fantastic run by new UK star Zharnell Hughes in @BritAthletics #BritishChamps 200m.I was v proud to present the medal http://t.co/sSSXpM1SBZ

• Ok a wee bit chuffed. Just been asked if I'd like to present a medal at #Britishchamps, someone is now missing a hand as I bit it off!

• Follow Martin