Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8 (Page 217)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 8
Closed Thread
Views: 247,697
# 4321
Time to face the music
Old 03-12-2012, 5:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelessly Hopeful View Post
Throw in pork scratchings and I'll join ya!

HHx
It's a deal but leave the whippet and ferrets outside the pub this time
DFW: LBM 10/1/12 ~ Start 5/2/12 £82344 Month 26: £25711=68.78% paid ~ DFD 31/1/16 ASAP
7/11 unsecured debts gone
MFW for July 2014: 2014 MFW number 135 ~ £2000/£2000 = 100%
“Home life ceases to be free and beautiful as soon as it is founded on borrowing and debt” Henrik Ibsen
Proud to be dealing with our debt and making our money our own
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Time to face the music For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4322
Hopelessly Hopeful
Old 03-12-2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time to face the music View Post
It's a deal but leave the whippet and ferrets outside the pub this time
I don't care what 'the authorities' say - you drive a hard bargain Ma'am!

HHx
Started DMP 1st June 2010. DFD aim end of July 2014. 47 months down, 4 months left 95.37% of DMP paid. DMP mutual support thread # 381, Paddle # 27.

Proud to be dealing with my debt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopelessly Hopeful For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4323
Growurown
Old 03-12-2012, 9:10 PM

Ooh er only three weeks tomorrow to go until Christmas day and I am so badly organised. You are all putting me to shame.

Last year I put some arts and crafts books onto my Amazon wish list (I love my wish list, I get the things I like that way!) with the intention of making gifts. I had the idea to spend my evenings being creative, hopefully to save some money and to be able to give a unique gift to family and friends. However I have spent all year playing angry birds - so no gifts made but I do have three stars on every level

Can I join you for a pint?
DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Growurown For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4324
jubilee14
Old 03-12-2012, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi all update from me 2nd DMP payment out to stepchange. still waiting for my latest statements with HFx and BCard both applying interest when plugged the figs into my spreadsheet was reaching past 2023 and figures were still going up so am hoping at some point that it will get sorted still early days.

did a bit of the xmas shop had got the £5 aldi voucher in paper last week so got two papers cut out all the vouchers and i did 1 shop on sunday mainly normal weekly shop ( plus some of the special offers) saved £7 then DH did the ' xmas food shop and got a further £5 so we're just about there.

Got most of the kids presents too so thats good. Did get paint though as my youngest has decorated my walls with her artistic work and really looks awful ( mind you so does the multi coloured carpet from juice stains but not doing anything about that.

anyway better go and get on with my surveys nearly at £10 redeemable at valued options. a while to go with my £40 at onepoll but may need by Jan anyway
LBM Sept 2012
started DMP 1.11.12
Debt £37012/£31125 DFD about Nov 2019 ( and moving out due to hfx cc interest)
The Following User Says Thank You to jubilee14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4325
antonic
Old 04-12-2012, 2:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did all my Christmas shopping on friday ! (the advantages of having a small family !).

3 presents from M&S (all with Gift Receipts) £30
3 x presents from Amazon (2 for same person) £28
1 x £10 to my sister for neice £10

Total spend on presents £70

All paid for out of February 2013 no council tax month (loaned to me by me dad !).
LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
Dec 2005 debt £21.959.64 + HBOS Int £1769.32
June 2013 debt £0.00
DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
DFW Long Hauler 297
# 4326
Time to face the music
Old 04-12-2012, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growurown View Post
Ooh er only three weeks tomorrow to go until Christmas day and I am so badly organised. You are all putting me to shame.

Last year I put some arts and crafts books onto my Amazon wish list (I love my wish list, I get the things I like that way!) with the intention of making gifts. I had the idea to spend my evenings being creative, hopefully to save some money and to be able to give a unique gift to family and friends. However I have spent all year playing angry birds - so no gifts made but I do have three stars on every level

Can I join you for a pint?
My daughter once added Angry Birds to my phone, after about 30 minutes I deleted it because I knew I would spend half my life playing it

Bitter or lager? And crisps or pork scratchings? Watch out for HH's whippet, he's a bit overfriendly, if you know what I mean. Oh and tuck your jeans in your socks, she has those ferrets with her again
DFW: LBM 10/1/12 ~ Start 5/2/12 £82344 Month 26: £25711=68.78% paid ~ DFD 31/1/16 ASAP
“Home life ceases to be free and beautiful as soon as it is founded on borrowing and debt” Henrik Ibsen
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Time to face the music For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4327
Time to face the music
Old 04-12-2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee14 View Post
hi all update from me 2nd DMP payment out to stepchange. still waiting for my latest statements with HFx and BCard both applying interest when plugged the figs into my spreadsheet was reaching past 2023 and figures were still going up so am hoping at some point that it will get sorted still early days.

did a bit of the xmas shop had got the £5 aldi voucher in paper last week so got two papers cut out all the vouchers and i did 1 shop on sunday mainly normal weekly shop ( plus some of the special offers) saved £7 then DH did the ' xmas food shop and got a further £5 so we're just about there.

Got most of the kids presents too so thats good. Did get paint though as my youngest has decorated my walls with her artistic work and really looks awful ( mind you so does the multi coloured carpet from juice stains but not doing anything about that.

anyway better go and get on with my surveys nearly at £10 redeemable at valued options. a while to go with my £40 at onepoll but may need by Jan anyway
Great bargains! I never used vouchers before I came here and now I love them

My daughter borrowed a steam mop to clean granddaughter's carpet and it came up a treat, see if you know anyone who has one.

For surveys, I have recently added GratisPoints too and made a £15 Amazon voucher in no time. Check it out
# 4328
Hopelessly Hopeful
Old 04-12-2012, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time to face the music View Post
My daughter once added Angry Birds to my phone, after about 30 minutes I deleted it because I knew I would spend half my life playing it

Bitter or lager? And crisps or pork scratchings? Watch out for HH's whippet, he's a bit overfriendly, if you know what I mean. Oh and tuck your jeans in your socks, she has those ferrets with her again
Started DMP 1st June 2010. DFD aim end of July 2014. 47 months down, 4 months left 95.37% of DMP paid. DMP mutual support thread # 381, Paddle # 27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopelessly Hopeful For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4329
debtdawg
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi all

First payment went out to step change this month and everything seems to have gone quiet. Lloyds are the only ones who wont stop interest and who have accepted the reduced payments towards my loan for 6 months but expect full payments to resume at the end blahdy blah. Funny how some creditors have been lovely and Lloyds are tools! They knew I didn't have an income when I took out the loan (we had to move house but had no first month or deposit available so had to take out a loan to cover it ) but were happy to lend it to me.

Looking forward to Christmas but also looking forward to January and getting 'proper straight'.
The Following User Says Thank You to debtdawg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4330
Hopelessly Hopeful
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtdawg View Post
Hi all

First payment went out to step change this month and everything seems to have gone quiet. Lloyds are the only ones who wont stop interest and who have accepted the reduced payments towards my loan for 6 months but expect full payments to resume at the end blahdy blah. Funny how some creditors have been lovely and Lloyds are tools! They knew I didn't have an income when I took out the loan (we had to move house but had no first month or deposit available so had to take out a loan to cover it ) but were happy to lend it to me.

Looking forward to Christmas but also looking forward to January and getting 'proper straight'.
Well done! Great feeling isn't it. Welcome to your new life, the debt will start to go down. When did that last happen?

HHx

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hopelessly Hopeful For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4331
bertman
Old 04-12-2012, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had my (now monthly) call from HSBC saying they hadn't had anything yet from SC. I range SC again and they say they have had a problem that has just come to light with correspondence that has been sent to HSBC where they apparently haven't had any of the letters. This was sorted out last week and they are now working through the backlog.
Hopefully this will be sorted soon as HSBC are adding interest at a 29.99% rate every month!!
Debts as of June 2012 - £68,986.35
Now £56,866.35
17.5% of debts cleared
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bertman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4332
NaughtySpot
Old 04-12-2012, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi to all DFW'ers, three weeks today the big man will have been!!

Welcome to the newbies, as others have suggested definitely take the time to read the whole thread, it has been and is so helpful and there is no judgement on this thread; we are all in the same boat.

Had a terrible month moneywise last month, we totally lost the plot budget-wise and just ran out . We've got blase with the budget, so the purse strings must be tightened here.

Christmas presents all bought, my one night out is already paid for apart from drinks, and just fresh food and drink to buy now. Due to OH working nights over Xmas week we are doing Christmas Day the following Saturday when my parents are coming, and my lovely dad has given us some money towards the cost which is fab.

I'm still having no joy from Natwest about stopping charges on our OD and CC, saying they was the SC details again. This will be the third time and will no doubt be a waste of time. Knobbers.

We're due a review but I am putting it off a bit as our mortgage and nursery fees are going up this month and I'm not sure of the amounts.

This will be our second Christmas without credit, and January is so much more pleasant without the dreaded CC bills coming. Christmas will be quiet here, and having only bought for our DS and neices and nephews, it will be a simple one.

And do you know what, when we have money again, it will stay simple!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NaughtySpot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4333
stupid-fool
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtdawg View Post
Hi all

Hi debtdawg

We've also just made our first payment. Doesn't it feel good

Lloyds are also one of the few who haven't stopped charges for us - they have frozen them on the OD and CCs (I think as everything is a little confused at the moment) but the loans are still having interest applied - I plan to write letters of complain in the next week or so, following that its FOS. Everything with Lloyds has been agreed on a 6 month basis.

Sadly we also have Creation who haven't stopped interest or charges so again we'll writing after the next bill arrives.
LBM 25/10/12
DMP start date - 02/11/12 - £68,236 - DFD 13/12/2018
Current status - 03/12/12 - £67,393 - DFD 03/01/2019
First Payment made

Eating the elephant one bite at a time
The Following User Says Thank You to stupid-fool For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4334
Finshopefulmum
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi everyone

It's great reading how everyone is preparing for Christmas. I have to admit that it has felt so good this year not putting everything onto credit. When I think about where we were this time last year, it makes me shudder!!

I wonder if I could pick your brains please.....we've been ticking along on our DMP since May, had to reduce payments in August due to DHs work situ changing, but all seemed to have gone smoothly. However Nationwide have now written to say they don't accept the lower payment and that they are going to push for a CCJ, and that if the court don't increase the payments they will go for a charging order and secure the debt against the property.

StepChange have told me to ignore the letters, but to get in touch if we receive court papers. I expected the defaults, and I know a CCJ doesn't really make much difference in the whole scheme of things, but wondered why I feel bothered by it. Did any of your creditors go for CCJs or did they stop at defaults?

Thanks xx
LBM Feb 2012
DMP start date 1 May 2012
DFD May 2018 72 payments to financial freedom

Update - DFD now 2020 - still a good 50 years earlier than if I was still making minimum payments on my credit cards!
# 4335
houseiseverything
Old 05-12-2012, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, Barclays are going for a charging order against our house. They are also blackmailing us by saying that if we give them a voluntary charging order interest will be 3%, however if they take us to court interest will be 8% plus they will add costs etc. I have to say we are going out of our minds with worry about this- we have posted on here for advice but I don't think many people have experienced this issue. We are going to take legal advice today, which we can ill afford! Although I know that they are trying to bully us into giving them a voluntary charging order, and trying to scare us, I am tempted to do it at the moment as I don't want any chance of them forcing a sale. I wouldn't just ignore the letter though- we were advised by National Debtline to keep talking to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to houseiseverything For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4336
Finshopefulmum
Old 05-12-2012, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I think that StepChange said to ignore the current letter and wait to see if they do go for a CCJ first, as that's the first step before they can go for the charging order. I kind of feel that we just have to follow the process as there is absolutely nothing else we can do as we don't have any more money. The charging order doesn't really mean anything other than if we sell our house we would have to settle their debt doesn't it? I think I'd also read that possibly the court wouldn't agree to the charging order as we're on a DMP and making whatever repayments we can.
LBM Feb 2012

Update - DFD now 2020 - still a good 50 years earlier than if I was still making minimum payments on my credit cards!
# 4337
houseiseverything
Old 05-12-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There is really good advice on the National Debtline website- it is very clear about charging orders, have a look it might put your mind at rest. It seems that if the house is in joint names, you have children etc then the chances are it would just sit there until the house is sold, yes.

Our case is slightly more complicated because the house and the debts are in my partners sole name! Barclays will not accept the DMP at all without us providing a voluntary charging order.That's why I almost want to give it to them , because if it will just sit there then it wont make much difference. When it would make a difference would be if something awful happened an we had to reduce our payments to them, or couldn't pay at all for some reason- in that case I think they could make us sell if they wanted to. I just don't know what to do about it- fight them or give in.
The Following User Says Thank You to houseiseverything For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4338
lizzy23
Old 05-12-2012, 3:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseiseverything View Post
There is really good advice on the National Debtline website- it is very clear about charging orders, have a look it might put your mind at rest. It seems that if the house is in joint names, you have children etc then the chances are it would just sit there until the house is sold, yes.

Our case is slightly more complicated because the house and the debts are in my partners sole name! Barclays will not accept the DMP at all without us providing a voluntary charging order.That's why I almost want to give it to them , because if it will just sit there then it wont make much difference. When it would make a difference would be if something awful happened an we had to reduce our payments to them, or couldn't pay at all for some reason- in that case I think they could make us sell if they wanted to. I just don't know what to do about it- fight them or give in.
if its any consolation i would fight, it won't make the situation any worse
LBM 2 and the OH is onboard sept 12, DMP will start on the 1st November, DFD who cares as longs as it comes
1 year down 5 to go and now under 30k and 10% paid off
The Following User Says Thank You to lizzy23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4339
Finshopefulmum
Old 05-12-2012, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

houseiseverything, thanks for the tip I'll definitely read it.. I'm sorry I can't help with your situation. Is there no other free organisation you can talk to? Or maybe appeal for info on the main board to see if anyone else has been in the same situation? It seems such a hardball tactic from Barclays. Who is arranging your dmp? I'll have a search through old posts to see if I can find anything. X
LBM Feb 2012

The Following User Says Thank You to Finshopefulmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4340
MrDJB192
Old 05-12-2012, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi all,

First time poster!!

I've use this site a few times for various things but never registered. After many years of suffering with debt which gradually grew to £26,000, over the last few days, many heart to hearts with my partner (who didn't know the full amount of debt) and a number of phonecalls to various companies / charities its been agreed that the best way forward for me is a 4-5 year DMP.

Quite honestly, even though the process is at the very beginning, I already feel like I may get some proper sleep tonight for the first time in months. My appetite has returned and I feel like there may be light at the tunnel.

I'm well aware that i may continue to receive phone calls and letters demanding money, but I'm prepared for the worst - after all, how much worse can it be than borrowing from quickquid to make sure a halifax credit card is paid.....

The payday loan was the final straw....

I guess i'm just writing here to say that for the next few years, I'll be hanging around here like a bad smell seeking guidance if necessary and also, maybe one day, supporting others who aregoing through what i'm suffering at the moment.

So.....hello everyone!!!

I hope i'm posting in the right place
LBM - Dec 2012 (just under £27,000)
DMP - Jan 2013 - Aug 2017

Aiming for DFD of Dec 2015
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrDJB192 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread