Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• FZwanab
    • By FZwanab 1st Jan 07, 12:33 PM
    • 469Posts
    • 678Thanks
    Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?
    • 1st Jan 07, 12:33 PM
    Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)? 1st Jan 07 at 12:33 PM
    How much mince would you need to feed 5 adults and 3 toddlers without being over generous or mean at the same time?
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
Page 13
  • valk_scot
    The recommended portion size of red meat for the average adult is 4oz/113g, so 750g would give you six full portions. Of course if you padded it out you could get more in terms of portions. But you do need to keep an eye on protein intake and either compensate for smaller meat portions by either adding more protein in other ways (lentils, cheese on the top, yoghurt for pudding) or having other proteins at other meals.

There's no advantage of having excessively large portions of meat btw, unless you're into weight training. You just use the excess for fuel or lay it down as fat.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th Dec 12, 11:23 AM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    I split my 750g in 2, and then i can get 2 meals for 5 of us from half, so i'd say 16 portions (kids eat about the same as 2 adults)

If i really need to make meat stretch i mix the mince threw the pasta for sag bol (it's easier if you use pasta shapes) and use very little. If i was using mince i'd do half for mince and taties or sheperds pie, and the rest in a huge pie.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 5th Dec 12, 11:57 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    I get three portions out of 250g mince but to do that I split the mince and sauce in half (OH doesn't have anything other than mince and sauce) and then add veggies to my half to bulk it out and make 2 portions (I then freeze one for when he's away :P)
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
  • agreenmess
    Golly I'd say out of 750g that will make 6 meals, based on 125g per adult portion which is in line with what most nutritional people say HTH
    Nessy x
    House Deposit - £0 /£20,000
    Weight Loss - .5lbs
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 5th Dec 12, 6:14 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    Thanks for all your contributions. I've gone with 3 x 2 portions - one for tonight and freeze two. We don't eat pasta or rice - we will be having it as a topping for Roast vegetables, or baked sweet potato. It looks generous - I will post again after dinner!
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 5th Dec 12, 8:37 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    Well, just for us for future reference, I think 750g mince cooked with onions, carrots peppers and tomoatoes (or dolmio) will make 8 adult portions if it is being served with vegetables (or pasta or rice if that's what you eat). We are both quite stuffed! We don't need to worry about protein intake as we have protein breakfast (sausages today) and lunch (cheese salad)

Thanks for your input everyone :-)
  • winniepooh
    250g of mince
    I've just finished writing my freezer list and I have 250g of beef mince. I don't think there is enough for a main meal for the four of us and I'm not sure what else to do with it. Any ideas?
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!

• Jennie
    • By Jennie 28th Dec 12, 4:19 PM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 6,300 Thanks
    I would make a mini bolognese or chili and serve it on top of big jacket potatoes with salad.

Or, I would make a bolognese or savoury mince and mix it with cooked pasta. Sprinkle cheese on top, bung under the grill.... perfect!
    Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.
    • anniemf2508
    • By anniemf2508 28th Dec 12, 4:20 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    i'd make meatballs
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 28th Dec 12, 4:21 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 28,379 Thanks
    I would make spag bol with it but instead of putting it on top mix it threw the pasta like you would a bake and top with cheese, i split 750g packs into 2 for the 5 of us so 325g a meal, but if i make spag bol i always do this and get 2 meals
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 28th Dec 12, 4:23 PM
    • 16,171 Posts
    • 37,008 Thanks
    250g of mince will easily make enough bolognaise for 4, I get 6 large portions out of 500g that would easily stretch to 8.

250g mince
    1 large onion
    4 mushrooms
    1-2 tins chopped toms
    tube tom puree
    Paprika, salt & pepper
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 28th Dec 12, 4:23 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    If you have a slow cooker, make bolognaise sauce. Just add lentils with your mince, whatever veggies you want, herbs/spices and chopped tinned tomatoes or passata. I do this quite a lot and you can't even taste the lentils
    • By THIRZAH 28th Dec 12, 4:28 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 4,569 Thanks
    You could mix it with the same amount of sausage meat for meatballs or meatloaf
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 28th Dec 12, 4:32 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 8,145 Thanks
    250g is the amount that I would normally use for a bolognese, chilli or shepherds pie for the 4 of us as i would be adding lots of veg and beans to the chilli etc.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 28th Dec 12, 5:39 PM
    • 5,578 Posts
    • 36,356 Thanks
    Definately enough for bolognese but as others have said, stir it through the spaghetti before serving and top with cheese.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Dec 12, 5:40 PM
    • 12,177 Posts
    • 90,025 Thanks
    Lasagne with a lot of chunky veg and a handful of red lentils will streeetch it to a decent size with maybe even a small left over to go into the freezer
    £60.00 for the next 30 days in my food purse
    Day 24 and just spent £29.32 in total on essentials so far this month. £30.68 left in food purse
    • JIL
    • By JIL 28th Dec 12, 6:15 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    chilli con carne with a tin of red beans and a tin of chick peas, mushrooms and peppers.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 28th Dec 12, 6:44 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 72,645 Thanks
    Or do you have tortillas? You could make chilli and stack with tortillas like lasagne and top with cheese. A sort of fajita stack...
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 8 - #91 - £500 so far
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 28th Dec 12, 6:58 PM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 10,976 Thanks
    I made this the other month and the amount of meat you need is very little, it was very filling - we had far less than the serving size (yet were absolutely stuffed), I halved the whole recipe for the two of us and there was still enough leftovers for two generous lunch portions for 2 people the next day.
    Last edited by krlyr; 28-12-2012 at 7:01 PM.
  • winniepooh
    Thank you to all of you. Loads of fab ideas
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

56Posts Today

3,772Users online

Martin's Twitter