PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,002 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use 2 that size for one meal.. and I occasionally get some left over to keep the 17 month old a dinner for the next day... that is with added veg/lentils and vast quantities of potato/rice/pasta.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Interestingly Wikepedia thinks otherwise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat

"Oat protein is nearly equivalent in quality to soy protein, which World Health Organization research has shown is equal to meat, milk, and egg protein.[9] The protein content of the hull-less oat kernel (groat) ranges from 12 to 24%, the highest among cereals."

You have a point here, I checked, minced beef has 19% protein, Porridge oats 11% (and less fat and calories for those who need to watch their weight)
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/sainsburys-price-comparison/porridge_and_muesli/sainsburys_porridge_oats_15kg.html
    But this is raw meat against dry cereal, and once cooked the meat will lose water and presumably have a higher protein content per gram.

Considering how much junk food teenagers eat nowadays, it's very unlikely someone will have a protein deficiency if meat is bulked with beans/oats/lentils. As long as they don't end up eating little meat with just vegetables, milk watered down etc etc like you hear sometimes. Little meat, decent quality, mixed with good stuff is better than say giving lots of sausagemeat.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I currently have 750g mince simmering in the slow cooker with lots of onion, about 4 large carrots, a green pepper and some mushrooms and garlic, with a large jar of Dolmio that I have had in the store cupboard for ages

How many servings will it make?
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say 4-6 adults depending on appetites.
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Options
    It all depends on how many adults/children, size of appetites and what you're going to serve with it.

Rice? Pasta? Italian/French Garlic Bread or Foccacia or Tear and Share? Onion Rings? Potatoes? Vegetables?

I'd expect to serve around 6 adults from 750gms of Minced Beef. I usually work on four adults to 500grams - but have been known to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it further with addition of veggies and/or lentils and accompaniments of some kind
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 December 2012 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Out of 500g mince, 2 onions, 5 mushrooms and 1 bottle of passata I get enough for 3 adult portions of bolognaise and lasagne for 3. So I would say at least 8 portions from your mince recipe, depending on what you're serving it with.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks - I meant adult size portions - so those of you who say 6 portions are reckoning on 125g meat per portion
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Just_a_Girl_2
    Options
    Mostly I eat around 350g mince at a time so that would only make two portions for me :D

Tonight, I made a meatza though which had 850g mince between two of us. In my defence, it was post workout!
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 December 2012 at 9:17PM
    Options
    I do think tis depends on what meal you intend to make, spaggetti bolognaise, cottage pie, chilli concarni?

I find padded out with lentils, mushrooms or sweetcorn, or an extra can tomatoes that I get 4 good sized portions, from 250grms m so I would expect to have 12 portions from 750grms.
    Slimming World at target
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think it largely depends how much veg etc you have added to it, and how big an appetite your audience has :)

I know our portion sizes for freezing from measuring them out using a ladel if that makes sense. Serve yourself up a portions worth , count the number of level ladels , then work out your portion size based on that.

Every person is different :)

Ill merge this with our mince portion size thread later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts