Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on... (Page 23)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)
Views: 88,781
# 441
rb10
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp04 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have just logged onto Santander Online Banking for the first time. The First Home Saver is not there, so I will have to contact them to see if I can add it. WIll keep you updated!
The changes to the terms of the account do not take effect until tomorrow, so I certainly wouldn't expect to see anything different today.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 442
Nessie23
Old 12-11-2012, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi I have just been to my local Santander branch today, and it appears that the account will only become instant access as of midnight today.

So I'll give it 24 hours and try again.

Out of interest anyone had any different answers from Santander?
# 443
Wings of Ambition
Old 12-11-2012, 2:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Managed to transfer half my money elsewhere today without being told I had to close the account.
# 444
MoneyStudent
Old 12-11-2012, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Absolutely gutting that the 5% rate has come to an end. Not entirely sure what I'll do with my money now. Probably leave it in there for the 3% rate.
# 445
gadgetmind
Old 12-11-2012, 3:23 PM

The 5% was too good to be true, and nice while it lasted, but 3% isn't as big a slap in the face as they could have delivered.
I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
# 446
tjr1234
Old 12-11-2012, 3:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i transferred it all apart form 1 to my current account then used internet banking to transfer it to my monmouthshire 4% account today. I had to walk through the staff what to do they had no clue. Its defos today that the account changed because the interest rate is now 3%.
# 447
Eponym
Old 12-11-2012, 4:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've used the bulk of it for my ISA allowance and will leave the rest where it is for now. I think I'll keep the standing order running as well.
# 448
someone
Old 12-11-2012, 8:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have rang up and transferred all but 1 to my current account no problem. Whizzed off part to my ISA which is only part funded and the rest to my eSaver paying a bit better than this account.

Kept account open as rates are so bad I might need the 3% when my current esaver bonus finishes.

Do people have any opinions about stocks and shares ISAs? I am tempted to open one and invest about 3000 - 5000 to see how it goes. Rates are tanking so quick and I wont be using this money for 3-5 years at least.
# 449
antispam246
Old 13-11-2012, 3:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Still not seeing it online (can't add it)

# 450
gt94sss2
Old 13-11-2012, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfg12345 View Post
i asked via secure message and have been told that as it will become an instant access account it will become available to add to your online accounts after mid november
When I asked the same a few weeks ago, the secure message I received said this account wouldn't be appearing online...

Regards
Sunil
# 451
ses6jwg
Old 13-11-2012, 8:17 AM

it wont be online
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ses6jwg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 452
Moneygrabber24
Old 13-11-2012, 8:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Its definitely not appeared on my online banking when going into ’add remove or rename an account ’ link. I was hoping it would. Shouldn’t all instant access accounts be accessible via online banking!?
# 453
gadgetmind
Old 13-11-2012, 9:22 AM

To make it available online would require changing their computer systems, which would involve a lot of hammering and welding as key parts of them date from the mid 1880s.
I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gadgetmind For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 454
Moneygrabber24
Old 13-11-2012, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Lol@gadgetmind.

By the way I just phoned santander online banking and the lady told me that the first home saver is present on my personal online banking. Trouble is, I log on via my business banking and havent used personal banking for ages and don't have the log on details. She said that the first home saver would take upto 48hrs to switch to my online business banking. Will have to wait and see. Will keep you posted.. .......
# 455
ses6jwg
Old 13-11-2012, 10:54 AM

the first home saver is not available online. period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ses6jwg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 456
antispam246
Old 13-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unless someone can prove they have it online I'll assume everyone else is just lying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antispam246 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 457
Eponym
Old 13-11-2012, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses6jwg View Post
the first home saver is not available online. period.
Given that ses6jwg has been 100% correct about all of these recent changes I have to assume he/she is right about this one. It's unfortunate though!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eponym For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 458
ade1982
Old 13-11-2012, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

From a secure chat I sent today

Quote:
Thank you for your email.
I can confirm your account does not have access to the Online banking facility.
If you would like to discuss a more suitable account, you can find details of the appropriate contact numbers and our opening times by selecting Savings & Investment > Contact Us.
Alternatively you can view and apply for our latest accounts via our website www.santander.co.uk.
I hope this information is useful and if you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me via Secure Messaging or my colleagues on 0845 9724724, Monday to Saturday 7am to 11pm and Sunday 8am to 10pm.
Kind Regards,
Sarah
Santander Customer Services
Looking forward to seeing how much this gets screwed up now, as I transferred money into the account (paying better than my e-Saver) and I couldn't do it through the Santander website, so I ended up having to transfer it into my Halifax current account, and then back across to the FHS account in Santander. Then it's a case of getting a statement!

Last edited by ade1982; 13-11-2012 at 8:47 PM.
# 459
ade1982
Old 13-11-2012, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The plot grows thicker.

I transferred a fair chunk in today, so I phoned Santander to make sure it went in. I was told on the phone that the rate was 3% if you pay in 100 a month by standing order.

I wish someone there knew what was going on and could give consistent information!
The Following User Says Thank You to ade1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 460
rb10
Old 13-11-2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade1982 View Post
The plot grows thicker.

I transferred a fair chunk in today, so I phoned Santander to make sure it went in. I was told on the phone that the rate was 3% if you pay in 100 a month by standing order.

I wish someone there knew what was going on and could give consistent information!
No, the plot doesn't grow thicker at all!

You just happened to speak to someone who doesn't know what's happening with the account.

The letter clearly states that "you no longer need to pay in between 100 and 300 a month by standing order, to receive the full interest rate".

Very few Santander staff actually knew about this account when it was on sale, so I certainly wouldn't expect many to know several years on.
The Following User Says Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>