Have I Been Scammed?! WeBuyUKMotors.com

Options
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help with what feels like a scam I have been subject to!

My car is currently for sale on Autotrader, and this weekend I got a text suggesting they would give me a fairly acceptable price for it (not what I wanted, but was willing to accept to get it sold). The text had a website on it, webuyukmotors.com I had to book for one of their representatives to come and inspect my car, and choose a time/date for when I wanted them to show up. In order to confirm the appointment, I had to provide a UKASH voucher code, which so they say would be returned to me by when I attend the appointment/inspection. I have since been to the shop, bought a £50 UKASH voucher, and paid them via their website.

Since, I have e-mailed them and tried phoning them to confirm the appointment etc, but have had no response what so ever. The line I dial seems to go dead, and they just haven’t responded to my e-mails.

Has anyone used this company before? And is there any chance I will get my money back? What are my next steps?

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it is a scam.

Why would you pay somebody to come and look at a car that they are hoping to buy?

You will have to put this down to experience and move on unfortunately.
  • Tobster86
    Tobster86 Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, how did you lack the slightest inclination at the time that it could be a scam?

Get straight onto the police; but don't have high hopes of seeing your £50 again.

And in future, ASSUME all situations where you would part with money before receiving goods or services with no obvious legal protection are scams.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Any company that asks for a UKASH voucher or cash through Western Union is almost certainly running a scam. You should be able to pay by credit'debit card.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    Any company that asks for a UKASH voucher or cash through Western Union is almost certainly running a scam. You should be able to pay by credit'debit card.

Why pay at all?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • aud27
    Options
    wish Id' read your story. My husband got scammed. Like you had a car on autotrader for sale got a text offering reasonable amount of cash. Went on line booked an appointment paid the £50 UKASH you guessed it they never turned up - Cheeky B............ We live and learn - unfortunately the hard way
    BEWARE STAY CLEAR OF WEBUYUKMOTORS.COM !!!!
  • markgoodwin2701
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Normally, I would certainly not be as carte blanche about these sorts of things but when you start just wanting to sell your car it reels you in.

In response to the last reply, I assume there was nothing you could do in terms of getting your money back?
  • bramval
    bramval Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Normally, I would certainly not be as carte blanche about these sorts of things but when you start just wanting to sell your car it reels you in.

In response to the last reply, I assume there was nothing you could do in terms of getting your money back?

Probably not apart from contacting trading standards and the police.

I have had quotes from webuyanycar.com and wewillbuyyourcar.com in the past but have used these mainly to get an idea of the likely trade-in price before going to the garage.

You may be able to offload your vehicle through one of these sites if you are concerned to get a quick sale. As far as I know they both exist and are not scammers although I have have heard stories about them giving you a price and then trying to knock this down when they see the vehicle.
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    Looks like that website has been shutdown/
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • albionrovers
    Options
    This scam has evolved from the old skool phone call promising a ready buyer for £100 maybe 5/10 years ago ... the fictional 'buyer' then withdrew interest after payment had cleared leaving the seller high and dry ... sellers eventually got wise to this by word of mouth.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't reiterate enough - read the anti scam things on autotrader.

Do not pay people to buy your car, even if they have a 'guaranteed' buyer. If they are so confident, let them make the sale and you can give them their commission afterwards. That's how it should work. Not one of these scammers will take you up on the offer.

And as always, if it sounds a bit dodge or looks too good to be true, it probably is. Google before not after the horse has gone!

Appreciate that doesn't help you OP but if it stops anyone else doing the same...
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure