Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 26th Sep 12, 10:31 AM
    • 22,780 Posts
    • 27,362 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:31 AM
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:31 AM
    No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.
    Millies gone back to Thailand, Roll on July 8th
  • morrisoscar
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:41 AM
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:41 AM
    No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper

A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.
  • mildred1978
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:43 AM
    • 26th Sep 12, 10:43 AM
    A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.
    Originally posted by morrisoscar
    Watchdog does the same. I've complained to the BBC and ITV Wales several times about it. They still continue with their sloppy journalism.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    Tim Minchin
  • Mindless Clone
    • 26th Sep 12, 11:57 AM
    • 26th Sep 12, 11:57 AM
    That's joiurnalism at it's best. The words "fine" and "penalty" are more sensationalist that "speculative invoice".
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 26th Sep 12, 12:58 PM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 26th Sep 12, 12:58 PM
    • 26th Sep 12, 12:58 PM
    As are the words "Traffic Warden" when referring to council parking attendants.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 26th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 26th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    • 26th Sep 12, 1:06 PM
    On a previous edition of the programme in a feature not relating to parking tickets, the presenter could't make her mind up about whether she was talking about debt collectors or bailliffs. She kept interchaning the phrases
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • note
    • 26th Sep 12, 3:16 PM
    • 26th Sep 12, 3:16 PM
    i saw on one of these programs a while back that their advice was to pay the ticket as soon as possible to stop the charges escalating, then to try and reclaim the money back after.

in the telegraph i read the motoring section on a saturday and 'honest john' advises you pay the PPC £10 in full and final settlement.

there are so many lies and !!!! advice out there that this site is a godsend.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Sep 12, 5:21 PM
    • 35,436 Posts
    • 46,274 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 26th Sep 12, 5:21 PM
    • 26th Sep 12, 5:21 PM
    Caught some of BBC1 Rip Off Britain this morning and in an article regarding NCP a parking charge notice was being referred to as a fine and parking ticket.
    Originally posted by morrisoscar

That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).

Glad I missed it TBH...had the misfortune to see some of Monday's programme and it was truly dire with no conclusions or follow ups to actually right any wrongs.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• loadbang
    • By loadbang 26th Sep 12, 6:17 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    loadbang
    That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    It's ok, the researchers on this show are unpaid interns and half the staff are paid below NMW.

What I am shocked about is how this programme gets through BBC's quality control. I have worked on TV programmes and any legal information has to be passed by their legal department and also by a solicitor. BBC go crazy and rejects a programme if we have one blank frame or sound level hits 6.5 for third of a second, but the content of the programme is plain wrong it passes muster.
  • taffy056
    The same for X-ray when they covered excel in ebbw vale, they kept on referring it to fines and penalties . I just don't understand how the same station then produces watchdog and its completely different. It seems that the right arm don't know what the left arm is doing. Kind of like the Abu Hamza thing with the queen
  • BASFORDLAD
    Abu Hamza is like something on the bottom of your shoe that you just cant get rid of
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • taffy056
    Abu Hamza is like something on the bottom of your shoe that you just cant get rid of
    Originally posted by BASFORDLAD
    He is scum , he came to our country and has a uk passport but hates us. Why bloody come here then ?
    • devonlad
    • By devonlad 26th Sep 12, 9:38 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 8,195 Thanks
    devonlad
    Watchdog does the same. I've complained to the BBC and ITV Wales several times about it. They still continue with their sloppy journalism.
    Originally posted by mildred1978
    did the bbc reply back to your complaint?
    The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
    We workers all love it and the ppc hate it
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 27th Sep 12, 6:52 AM
    • 4,627 Posts
    • 6,089 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    Originally posted by BASFORDLAD
    We will be rid of him soon hopefully, I bet the yanks wont have him looked after so cosily in their prisons.
    • fb1969
    • By fb1969 27th Sep 12, 7:57 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    fb1969
    After the shameful episode of Get Dom Get Done, which told people to pay the PPC, I thought the 'famous' episode of Watchdog had set the record straight and that at least researchers on that programme knew what the law is. But no, last night was taling about Travelodge "fining" people for smoking (or not) in a room!
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 27th Sep 12, 8:06 AM
    • 8,797 Posts
    • 13,265 Thanks
    trisontana
    After the shameful episode of Get Dom Get Done, which told people to pay the PPC, I thought the 'famous' episode of Watchdog had set the record straight and that at least researchers on that programme knew what the law is. But no, last night was taling about Travelodge "fining" people for smoking (or not) in a room!
    Originally posted by fb1969
    That should have raised the whole question of "civil recovery" where, just like PPCs, companies try and claim money off people that has no relationship to the actual loss they have suffered. They even use the same technique of sending out official looking letters, hoping people will cave in and pay.
    Last edited by trisontana; 27-09-2012 at 8:09 AM.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Mindless Clone
    There was a bit about parking fines on Rip Off again this morning. Real council issued ones this time. Hounslow council were getting just over £400,000 for just one place by a train station that was, basically, just a bit confusing for people as they were dropping people off because there's no actual passenger drop off point there.
    And it's all perfectly legal in their case. How do they sleep at night?

But at least Rip Off correctly called it a fine this time.
  • Plushchris
    Originally posted by fb1969
    I watched that, £150 "fine" for cleaning the room?

I'd tell them I'd see them in court, how can they claim cleaning the room as costs when the room would (or should) be cleaned anyway??
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
    • fb1969
    • By fb1969 27th Sep 12, 3:53 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    fb1969
    I watched that, £150 "fine" for cleaning the room?

I'd tell them I'd see them in court, how can they claim cleaning the room as costs when the room would (or should) be cleaned anyway??
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    I think I first read about Travelodge doing this at least a year ago, possibly elsewhere on these forums. It is one of Travelodge's many policies that mean I will never stay with them - money saving or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,247Posts Today

5,139Users online

Martin's Twitter