Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking > BBC1 Rip Off Britain programme and NCP (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
BBC1 Rip Off Britain programme and NCP
Views: 2,318
# 1
morrisoscar
Old 26-09-2012, 9:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default BBC1 Rip Off Britain programme and NCP

Caught some of BBC1 Rip Off Britain this morning and in an article regarding NCP a parking charge notice was being referred to as a fine and parking ticket.

Last edited by morrisoscar; 26-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morrisoscar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
peter_the_piper
Old 26-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.
Confucius Say...Man without grass in garden looks forlorn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
morrisoscar
Old 26-09-2012, 10:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_the_piper View Post
No matter how much we try the general public will always know them as "fines" and "penalties", the ppc's know this and play on it to get their ill gotten gains. All we can do is to try to educate them.

A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morrisoscar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mildred1978
Old 26-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisoscar View Post
A view reinforced by a BBC programme the point of which is telling people how not to get conned.
Watchdog does the same. I've complained to the BBC and ITV Wales several times about it. They still continue with their sloppy journalism.
Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
Tim Minchin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildred1978 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Mindless Clone
Old 26-09-2012, 11:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

That's joiurnalism at it's best. The words "fine" and "penalty" are more sensationalist that "speculative invoice".
# 6
roddydogs
Old 26-09-2012, 12:58 PM

As are the words "Traffic Warden" when referring to council parking attendants.
# 7
trisontana
Old 26-09-2012, 1:06 PM

On a previous edition of the programme in a feature not relating to parking tickets, the presenter could't make her mind up about whether she was talking about debt collectors or bailliffs. She kept interchaning the phrases
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity – but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
note
Old 26-09-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i saw on one of these programs a while back that their advice was to pay the ticket as soon as possible to stop the charges escalating, then to try and reclaim the money back after.

in the telegraph i read the motoring section on a saturday and 'honest john' advises you pay the PPC £10 in full and final settlement.

there are so many lies and !!!! advice out there that this site is a godsend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to note For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Coupon-mad
Old 26-09-2012, 5:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisoscar View Post
Caught some of BBC1 Rip Off Britain this morning and in an article regarding NCP a parking charge notice was being referred to as a fine and parking ticket.

That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).

Glad I missed it TBH...had the misfortune to see some of Monday's programme and it was truly dire with no conclusions or follow ups to actually right any wrongs.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
# 10
loadbang
Old 26-09-2012, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupon-mad View Post
That is a shockingly dreadful programme with presenters past their prime and not up to speed with anything to do with rip-offs (all very well-known very well-off ladies, being spoon-fed information on an autocue. Information which they don't ever seem to understand).
It's ok, the researchers on this show are unpaid interns and half the staff are paid below NMW.

What I am shocked about is how this programme gets through BBC's quality control. I have worked on TV programmes and any legal information has to be passed by their legal department and also by a solicitor. BBC go crazy and rejects a programme if we have one blank frame or sound level hits 6.5 for third of a second, but the content of the programme is plain wrong it passes muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to loadbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
taffy056
Old 26-09-2012, 8:11 PM

The same for X-ray when they covered excel in ebbw vale, they kept on referring it to fines and penalties . I just don't understand how the same station then produces watchdog and its completely different. It seems that the right arm don't know what the left arm is doing. Kind of like the Abu Hamza thing with the queen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
BASFORDLAD
Old 26-09-2012, 8:15 PM

Abu Hamza is like something on the bottom of your shoe that you just cant get rid of
For everthing else there's mastercard.
For clampers there's Barclaycard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BASFORDLAD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
taffy056
Old 26-09-2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASFORDLAD View Post
Abu Hamza is like something on the bottom of your shoe that you just cant get rid of
He is scum , he came to our country and has a uk passport but hates us. Why bloody come here then ?
# 14
devonlad
Old 26-09-2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildred1978 View Post
Watchdog does the same. I've complained to the BBC and ITV Wales several times about it. They still continue with their sloppy journalism.
did the bbc reply back to your complaint?
The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
We workers all love it and the ppc hate it
# 15
esmerobbo
Old 27-09-2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASFORDLAD View Post
We will be rid of him soon hopefully, I bet the yanks wont have him looked after so cosily in their prisons.
# 16
fb1969
Old 27-09-2012, 7:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

After the shameful episode of Get Dom Get Done, which told people to pay the PPC, I thought the 'famous' episode of Watchdog had set the record straight and that at least researchers on that programme knew what the law is. But no, last night was taling about Travelodge "fining" people for smoking (or not) in a room!
The Following User Says Thank You to fb1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
trisontana
Old 27-09-2012, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1969 View Post
After the shameful episode of Get Dom Get Done, which told people to pay the PPC, I thought the 'famous' episode of Watchdog had set the record straight and that at least researchers on that programme knew what the law is. But no, last night was taling about Travelodge "fining" people for smoking (or not) in a room!
That should have raised the whole question of "civil recovery" where, just like PPCs, companies try and claim money off people that has no relationship to the actual loss they have suffered. They even use the same technique of sending out official looking letters, hoping people will cave in and pay.
Ben Franklin may have discovered electricity – but it is the man who invented the meter who made the money

Last edited by trisontana; 27-09-2012 at 8:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Mindless Clone
Old 27-09-2012, 10:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There was a bit about parking fines on Rip Off again this morning. Real council issued ones this time. Hounslow council were getting just over £400,000 for just one place by a train station that was, basically, just a bit confusing for people as they were dropping people off because there's no actual passenger drop off point there.
And it's all perfectly legal in their case. How do they sleep at night?

But at least Rip Off correctly called it a fine this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mindless Clone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Plushchris
Old 27-09-2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1969 View Post
I watched that, £150 "fine" for cleaning the room?

I'd tell them I'd see them in court, how can they claim cleaning the room as costs when the room would (or should) be cleaned anyway??
Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plushchris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
fb1969
Old 27-09-2012, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plushchris View Post
I watched that, £150 "fine" for cleaning the room?

I'd tell them I'd see them in court, how can they claim cleaning the room as costs when the room would (or should) be cleaned anyway??
I think I first read about Travelodge doing this at least a year ago, possibly elsewhere on these forums. It is one of Travelodge's many policies that mean I will never stay with them - money saving or not.