Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Young_Investor
    Capital Gains = Unearned income? Help please.
    • 18th Sep 12, 8:36 PM
    Capital Gains = Unearned income? Help please. 18th Sep 12 at 8:36 PM
    Hi everyone. I have been fairly successful in my investing activities in the last few years which has lead to a substancial amount of current/future capital gains. This is obviously great, however it has lead to an issue which I don't know how to deal with.

Are capital gains classed as unearned income like dividends and savings interest?

I ask this as I'm starting to pay back my student loan and don't know whether to add on any capital gain minus 9% (e.g. 10,000 cap gain means I'd add 900) on shares I've sold over the tax year to my student loan repayments (through a self assessment form).

I hope this is not the case as it feels that I'm being punished (in a strange way) for doing well and investing while young. Also, if I make 50,000+ in capital gains (possible) within this tax year, I could be landed with a 4500 student loan bill instead of being able to reinvest my capital.

Also, how are gains ('wins') on a spread bet classed? Is this unearned income?

Thanks for any help given.
    Last edited by Young_Investor; 18-09-2012 at 8:40 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,520Users online

Martin's Twitter