IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Should I take my cat to the vet?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,357
# 1
msrisotto
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Should I take my cat to the vet?

I have just booked an appointment but it costs 36 just for a consultation so I want to check i'm not overreacting!

Got back from holiday on saturday. A neighbour had been checking in on her (house cat) everyday for us. Neighbour reported no concerns. When we got in, she had thrown up all over the house, there must have been 6 large piles of vomit dotted around the place. I wondered if she'd kept anything down since we left! We'd only been gone a week. Anyway, phoned the vet who said to take her off food for 1 day then give her chicken and rice. She's not eaten much of it (never has been a fan of food not from a tin!) but she hasn't been sick since.

Then I noticed that the fur above her eyes and near her ears was thinner than usual. Her skin in this area looks red and sore. I gave her a flea treatment but i'm not convinced this is the problem. She's less active than usual but this could be because she's not eating much.

Vets the right idea?
# 2
msrisotto
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

There was no blood or anything unusual in her sick by the way.
# 3
picklepick
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yes, vets.

We aren't allowed to give medical advice on this forum.
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to picklepick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
msrisotto
Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok fair enough, thanks.
# 5
krlyr
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Have you recently changed brand or flavour of foods? Could the neighbour have been feeding something different? A food allergy or intolerance could cause vomiting and a skin reaction. There are quite a few reasons for hairloss though, including some parasites (like mange/mites) that wouldn't be treated by a regular flea treatment. Hormone-related health issues like hypothyroidism or Cushings can also be a culprit.
Ringworm can also be more common in cats but would be a little unusual in a housecat as there would be limited exposure - have you bought or been given any secondhand toys, a carrier, etc. that could potentially have introduced it?
Definately worth a vet trip IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to krlyr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Oliver14
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM

The fact that you are asking the question means you are worried enough to want to see the vet.
'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
Samuel Clemens
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oliver14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
juliebunny
Old 02-07-2012, 5:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you rang around other vets in your area? My vet charges 20 for a consult and they are brilliant. Actually they have a 3 scale charge for consults, depending on how long it takes, sometimes they charge less......

If this is purely whilst you were away I would strongly suspect the change in routine has played a hand in her getting herself into this state. I would monitor her for a week if she continues to improve. She may have been rubbing her fur herself if she was anxious.

How well do you know this neighbour? Is there any chance they didn't follow your instructions or perhaps she was just fretting for you or lonely, esp if she is an only cat, and indoors all day on her own. Seems a bit odd that there was so much vomit for you to come home to - were these in places that they wouldn't have needed to visit to cat sit?
Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
2014 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!

Last edited by juliebunny; 02-07-2012 at 5:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to juliebunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
msrisotto
Old 02-07-2012, 8:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No, she would have seen it, my husband trod in it when he walked through the door!

I did take her. The vet is concerned that it might be autoimmune disease but said I could wait and see if the redness goes down tomorrow

I did check a couple of nearby vets and this was the cheapest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msrisotto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

So, has the vet actually eliminated a simple flea allergy, or are they going straight to the long term, potentially serious illness necessitating gazillions of pounds of tests?

Cheapest consult isn't always the best - especially if they make up for it with costs from other things instead - chat to the other vets and see who you feel most comfortable with.

Reason I'm saying this is that several years ago, one vet insisted my girl needed loads of expensive tests for something that on the surface, sounds very similar. Refused to try anything before all these tests were done.

The next vet I went to 24 hours later, took one look at her, said 'flea allergy', gave her one injection and she was absolutely fine, as whilst the fleas had been eliminated, the reaction had started up and she had been overgrooming due to the itching. Cue copious amounts of furballs.

The other possibility that occurs to me is how trustworthy do you think the neighbour is? Could she have opened two tins on, say last Sunday, chucked them in bowls and then not bothered going back until Wednesday? So the food wasn't fresh?
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
kev225
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sounds strangely coincidental that this has happened to your mog whilst you've been on holiday.

Stress can cause cats to pull out their fur, have issues with food and vomit.

If there's chuck up in several easily visible places then that does add doubt as to whether the neighbour actually did their cat-sitting duties.

Personally I'd give my mog a lot of attention, food she's fond of and monitor her for a day. If no chance in behaviour then a trip to vets, but often, we worry too much.

Best wishes to your cat
The Following User Says Thank You to kev225 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
msrisotto
Old 03-07-2012, 6:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo the Tightfisted View Post
So, has the vet actually eliminated a simple flea allergy, or are they going straight to the long term, potentially serious illness necessitating gazillions of pounds of tests?

Cheapest consult isn't always the best - especially if they make up for it with costs from other things instead - chat to the other vets and see who you feel most comfortable with.

Reason I'm saying this is that several years ago, one vet insisted my girl needed loads of expensive tests for something that on the surface, sounds very similar. Refused to try anything before all these tests were done.

The next vet I went to 24 hours later, took one look at her, said 'flea allergy', gave her one injection and she was absolutely fine, as whilst the fleas had been eliminated, the reaction had started up and she had been overgrooming due to the itching. Cue copious amounts of furballs.

The other possibility that occurs to me is how trustworthy do you think the neighbour is? Could she have opened two tins on, say last Sunday, chucked them in bowls and then not bothered going back until Wednesday? So the food wasn't fresh?
The vet never mentioned it being potentially a flea allergy. He took her temperature and felt her tummy but that is it....Do you think I should get a second opinion?

Oh and my neighbour didn't give her wet food, she didn't even know that I give her wet food once a week - she had dry food out everyday. She self regulates her food well. Neighbour just checked on her and played with her.

I reckon her ears are a bit less red today. I might wait and see a bit.

Last edited by msrisotto; 03-07-2012 at 6:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to msrisotto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
mazza111
Old 03-07-2012, 9:44 AM

I too was going to mention the stress of you being away. Stress can often cause cats to over groom, then get furballs and bald patches. Hence the puking. Whenever we go away, we always come back to a pile or 2 of puke, even though she's got plenty of company when we're away (housesitters) but she over grooms and gets bothered by furballs anyway. Even giving her furball treatment every day, she still manages to puke at least once a week. And never in the same place twice!!!

Hope your moggy is feeling better soon
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
The Following User Says Thank You to mazza111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
spike7451
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo the Tightfisted View Post

I agree with JoJo here,the original vet I used told me Orbit was fat & needed to loose weight,so put him on a ridiculously expensive diet cat food that I had to buy off them (this was before the explosion of the online shopping & I had internet access before anyone screams 'online!") Hills Science Plan IIRC & it was around 2004.
So he was on this food for ages but his weight stayed the same
Anyway,I found a vet closer to home a few years later (2007 ish) that was also used by the cattery that I use, & took Orbit there.She diagnosed heart failure & kidney problems & he was put on Fortekor.I asked her about his weight & she said that the weight was more than likely an effect of the kidney/heart failure.
Orbit passed away at home in his own time Sept 2009 aged about 16
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike7451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
msrisotto
Old 03-07-2012, 2:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So do you think I should see another vet? I hope when I get home from work that the cat will be loads better but the vet did say that if her ears hadn't got less red to take her back in for blood and urine tests at a cost of 130.
# 15
rising from the ashes
Old 03-07-2012, 5:28 PM

Have you used the vet before?

If not, were they recommended?

If you have, it's really a case of whether you're comfortable with them & feel confident with them treating your cat.

If you haven't, it may be worth looking for a 2nd opinion but ask a few friends / colleagues for recommendations as this is usually the best way to find a good vet.

Hope kitty is on the mend soon
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

The Following User Says Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
msrisotto
Old 03-07-2012, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I took her to this vet for her booster injections and that is all. I'm new to the area so haven't had any recommendations.

When I got in from work, her ears were normal colour but they've gone darker pink now. Confusing. She's back to her usual self now though so I think I will wait a bit.

Thanks so much for your comments everyone, it's just nice to have some advice/hand holding.
The Following User Says Thank You to msrisotto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
juliebunny
Old 03-07-2012, 6:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think you should definitly post a photo of your cat (-:

Bear in mind that blood tests are very stressful for the cat too. Lord only knows about the urine samples, I followed my cat around for a week to get one as she refused to pee in the surgery.
Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
2014 = the year I finally get my house tidy any get fit and healthy!
The Following User Says Thank You to juliebunny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
msrisotto
Old 03-07-2012, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hehe, any excuse
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...9-15183526.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...9072010367.jpg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msrisotto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Jojo the Tightfisted
Old 03-07-2012, 7:50 PM

I see she has white/pale ears.

and a fascination for cardboard boxes

Has it been sunny at all?

Does she fall asleep on the windowsills or flop out in the garden much?

Reason I'm saying that is because cats with white ears/noses can also get sunburn. And as it's one of the main ways they lose heat, their ears get redder when they are hot.

Mind you, one of mine would eat his crunchies so fast, as soon as he had a slurp of water, the crunchies would expand and come straight back up. Almost every other day of his life.

There are lots of different causes, of course I am not a vet but I wouldn't be happy about banging out over a hundred quid over pink ears in summer and a couple of piles of puke on the floor. Well, not until other alternatives had been considered first.
I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinw View Post
Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo the Tightfisted For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
spike7451
Old 03-07-2012, 7:50 PM

Oh that's a naughty kitty...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to spike7451 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread