June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Kids had a cookery lesson again. They were reminded of pastry ingredient ratios. They collected a handful of herbs for the quiche:sage, thyme, parsley and mint and then helped me to prep the ingredients.

We made a herby bacon quiche with a throw together slaw and a bit of garlic bread as it was removed from the freezer yesterday to make room in the freezer.

Nom :)

photo-105.jpg?t=1339502763
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Kids had a cookery lesson again. They were reminded of pastry ingredient ratios. They collected a handful of herbs for the quiche:sage, thyme, parsley and mint and then helped me to prep the ingredients.

We made a herby bacon quiche with a throw together slaw and a bit of garlic bread as it was removed from the freezer yesterday to make room in the freezer.

Nom :)

photo-105.jpg?t=1339502763
    :)oooooooooooooooh can i have some it all looks delish, love the slaw!!!:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    craigywv wrote: »
    :) excuse my ignorance but could someone pls tell me how to make my own oven chips , i read on one of the threads a woman casually saying she made her own oc but i didnt know you could do that i thought they went through a factory process or something, anyway i have just emtyied and cleaned my deep fat fryer in preparation on going on hols next week as it was needing oil change and washed out and dont really want to refill until we come home thanks:)

I part boil first for about 5 mins. Shake them around in a sieve to rough them up, lay them out on a baking tray one chip thick. Spray with a one cal oil and bake in a hot oven(gas mark 8) for about 1/2 an hour. Half way through a flip them over with a slice and respray with oil. If they are still pale about 5 mins before the end, I may spray with oil again and wack oven up to max.

You can do it with out part boiling first but they take longer in the oven and come out harder.

My family like them more than shop bought oven chips, saying that they are more like real chips.
    I'm away from the 15th to the 22nd june - if any new people join and they don't post their budget in red and big could someone show them how to do it - I can then just skim through the posts when I get back - thank you lovely people
    Hope you enjoy your holiday.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • jumblejack
    craigywv wrote: »
    :)oooooooooooooooh can i have some it all looks delish, love the slaw!!!:)

Course you can!!:)

I have loads of fridge stuff left to use up. I will probably do more slaw tomorrow with something else!

Has anyone got a good radish recipe as I have 2 bags left (they were 5p a pack whoopsied!). I've just used one pack up and don't want to waste anything! I have 2 cucumbers in as well along with half a cabbage that need to be used up quickly.

By the way, my youngest just told me that the slaw is 'a do again recipe'! Result!!!! :D
  • Had a spend at T's yesterday - £23.84 - trying not to panic about this being nearly half the budget for the week as I've already got stuff for DS packed lunch and lunches for everyone else in the house, not to mention my stuffed freezer.

Also DH wanted to put car through car was - I point blank refused "the works" at £8 and we compromised at a £5 version - predictably it poured down once the thing was dry.

Today have just spent £5.44 in T's again. I'm not worried!:eek:
    xK
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    HelenJelly- have a wonderful holiday, and get on with that packing!! :)

I spent £30 in Morries today, on total poop! The only useful stuff i got was 9 loo rolls (£4 andrex, on offer) and baking parchment. The rest was rubbish :(

ARGH, someone stop me!
    And i'll have to do another shop (a proper shop this time), which means i will have to be really carefull for the rest of the month!
  • jumblejack
    cleggie wrote: »
    HelenJelly- have a wonderful holiday, and get on with that packing!! :)

I spent £30 in Morries today, on total poop! The only useful stuff i got was 9 loo rolls (£4 andrex, on offer) and baking parchment. The rest was rubbish :(

ARGH, someone stop me!
    And i'll have to do another shop (a proper shop this time), which means i will have to be really carefull for the rest of the month!

Oh no:(
    I don't go in a supermarket withOut a list. The only exceptions are when items are whoopsied, in which case I will change meals to use up what is cheap and available.

Try to keep a list going on your phone or on the fridge of stuff you are running low on and then use it to arm yourself against the supermarket ploys next time you go in one. :)

You can do it:j
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Thanks JJ, i think i will from now on.
    I feel so disappointed, but trying to see getting through the rest of the month as a challenge.
    I am going to do my proper shop online, with @sd@, so that i only get what i need to.

I think part of the reason i did it was because i had the car in the garage and had to get new brake pads fitted. I thought it was going to cost about £100, but only cost £36 ( :) ) but i think i may have mentally put that money aside and since i didnt have to spend more than £36, i decided i could spend that extra.
    D'oh.
    Not doing that again!!
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £3.00 in P**land yesterday..did remember sugar:o

Had to go into town today to pay some bills so got what I needed from mrTs...trying to avoid it but only SM in our town and kids like the SP cereal..so £8.50 in there..£1.50 on bananas and apples from market and £4.00 in P***world...just opened so had to have a look:D

Will update sig now xxx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Enjoying reading all the posts. Don't get much of a chance to post but have spent £204.44 so far this month. Am doing the eating out the freezer and cupboards challenge as I have so much stuff in my cupboards and freezers so I am hoping that this month will be completely doable.

I have made JJ's cheesey bread, Millies cookies and twinks hobnobs so far this month and have been using up some old ingredients in the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure