Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > 1 HDMI cables at Poundland (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
1 HDMI cables at Poundland
Views: 25,455
# 1
Former MSE Becca
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 1 HDMI cables at Poundland

This is the place to discuss the Hot Bargain's deals note:

If you manage to find a Poundland HDMI cable, or another HDMI bargain, please join in the discussion

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 12-06-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
John Gray
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Err, what price did you expect to find something at Poundland?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Gray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
WhiteChristmas
Old 12-06-2012, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Poundland (other poundshops are available) pretty much always have HDMI cables in stock; what's "manage to find" all about?

And, yes, they give perfectly good signals and work every bit as well as 10, 20 or 50 cables from elsewhere with two caveats.

(a) it's quite common for them not to work at all, straight out of the packet

(b) the build quality is usually rotten, so they're poor for applications where you're going to plug them in and out a lot. Ideal for a permanant DVD-to-telly connection, less so for a games system which is getting moved about a lot.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
But, if the white runs out, I'll drink the red.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteChristmas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
debitcardmayhem
Old 12-06-2012, 3:48 PM

Location: Depriving a village of an Idiot, whilst waiting for a call from Heaven or Hell re my future

Whoa I found some for 80p in Euroland Shops (or 82Milllion Drachmas in Grexit Shops)
Be careful what you wish for -
I thought
Quote:
I could do with a stroke of luck so I can stop working
So I had a stroke and have not worked since. Lucky? , you figure.
Updated 2014 , was thinking about writing my biography, Doctor suggested I get a Ghost Writer in to finish it

# 5
Sue J Aylesbury
Old 14-07-2012, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default HDMI Cables from Poundland

I Managed to find lots of the HDMI Cables this morning in the poundland in Aylesbury and I bought 2 as my husband was going to buy some others this afternoon I told them you had suggested them and they work great all fitted now and my husband is pleased
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue J Aylesbury For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mttylad
Old 14-07-2012, 1:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have about 10+ of these.
I disagree a bit with part of post #3, the build quality is acceptable for paying a pound and I have never had any problem with plugging in/removing them. (not arguing - its just not that bad).
Every one of them has worked 100%

As with everything from pound shops you pays your money and you takes your chance, but you keep the receipt and if it does not work you can return it when next there. (in my case its every weekday - have to walk somewhere during lunch).

While they may not be of the same build quality as one that you pay 25+ for, they work exactly the same. In fact looking at some that I have seen for 15+ the more expensive ones are of the same build quality.

They are certainly not cheap rubbish though, neither are they really news as they have been on sale there for several years.

I only wish they did cables longer than 1 metre.
# 7
Kernel Sanders
Old 14-07-2012, 2:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttylad View Post
I only wish they did cables longer than 1 metre.
Poundland do USB plug-to-socket extension cables, so you could extend it that way. I bought one as I thought it would act like an aeriel for my 3G dongle, but there was no difference at all in reception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthstorm View Post
i would rather believe what a company says than someone from a online forum
# 8
chib
Old 14-07-2012, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can buy HDMI couplers on eBay for less than 1 delivered.
# 9
mttylad
Old 15-07-2012, 3:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

2 x 1m cables and a coupler = 3
a 3m cable is under 3 from ebay.

The USB cable cannot be used to extend a HDMI cable, although the cable inside may do it the connectors are incompatible.
# 10
Ben84
Old 15-07-2012, 7:57 PM

HDMI is a digital signal, so you don't need a fancy cable. Digital signals just do not care about noise or distortion in the way analogue signals do because they're interpreted by a chip inside the device receiving them to turn the data in to picture and sound, unlike analogue signals which are amplified and used directly to make the sound and picture. You can even send digital signals through the air and get crystal clear freeview TV with perfect sound on most people's sets - just as long as no part of the signal is completely lost.

So, I buy inexpensive cables for digital signals without any worries. Even for expensive TV and audio equipment there's no benefit to spending loads. Just get ones that are solidly made and won't fall apart or have cheap poorly fitting plugs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
jayme1
Old 15-07-2012, 8:32 PM

expert reviews did a comparison of cheap and expensive HDMI cables, the results won't shock anyone reading this thread, http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...absolute-proof
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayme1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Kernel Sanders
Old 15-07-2012, 9:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Are these the cables I have seen on sale with gold plated connectors?

Is the 3 HSPA+/3G mobile broadband signal analogue or digital?
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthstorm View Post
i would rather believe what a company says than someone from a online forum

Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 15-07-2012 at 9:40 PM.
# 13
steve1980
Old 16-07-2012, 12:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to steve1980

This is hardly breaking money saving news!

They have been selling these for years.
Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
# 14
cheltenhamgal
Old 18-07-2012, 8:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They have them in stock in Poundland Cheltenham
The Following User Says Thank You to cheltenhamgal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
torphi
Old 18-07-2012, 10:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default HDMI not so simple

There seems to be a number of misconceptions regarding HDMI.

If the cable has the official logo then it should have been tested during design to ensure it meets the required specification. But the equipment is very expensive that allows you to observe the eye diagram (try searching for: HDMI eye diagram) so many of the low cost cables may not have been tested properly during design and the performance could vary between the original design and the manufactured product.

Although the signal is digital, you get bit errors which depend on the quality of the source, cable and receiver. The lines in the cable must have good differential impedance over a very wide frequency range (at least 10GHz) to avoid reflections that cause closure of the eye diagram and therefore the potential for bit errors but also depending on the source and receiver's performance.

It is incorrect that because it is digital it either works or not as you can find that a cable will work in some systems but not in others - you may get lucky.

There is no guarantee that more expensive cables will be any better but a good brand is more likely to have invested in testing their OEM cable to avoid damaging their brand name.

Hope this helps!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torphi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Smallspender
Old 18-07-2012, 10:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default HDMI poundland cables are fine!

I have been using these cables for some time with no problems, and a superb picture from Blu-ray on a 37" Panasonic. Needed an extra one last week, and got it in Poundland Eastbourne. They do run out, but restock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smallspender For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Toxteth_OGrady
Old 18-07-2012, 10:38 AM

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...absolute-proof

http://www.audioholics.com/education...le-bench-tests
604!!

Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toxteth_OGrady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
awm49barhill
Old 18-07-2012, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I got two at the Poundland in St Ive's

I just got two from the poundland in St Ive's, I am surprised by the many negative comments about the leads. granted they are only 1m but they work perfectly.

For those who are complaining about manufacturing standards and complaince the point of the cables is they either work or they don't. If they don't work keep your receipt a get a refund or exchage. I would also note that at 12.99 cost of HDMI leads at Dixons you could buy 13 poundland cables which should easily last the lifetime of any electical appliance and you will probably only ever use one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awm49barhill For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
googler
Old 18-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm49barhill View Post
I would also note that at 12.99 cost of HDMI leads at Dixons you could buy 13 poundland cables which should easily last the lifetime of any electical appliance and you will probably only ever use one
Would you rather buy 13 Ladas, or one Rolls-Royce, when you can only drive one? I'd have the Rolls-Royce.
# 20
Dave_C
Old 18-07-2012, 1:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Surely
Quote:
It is incorrect that because it is digital it either works or not as
is equivalent to
Quote:
you can find that a cable will work in some systems but not in others
For short HDMI Leads, the cheap cables are rubbish thing has the same plausibility as cheap speaker cables are rubbish. I.e. none at all.

I have a three metre HDMI cable from the local computer shop which cost a fiver. This means that I can use by TV as a 40 inch monitor for the laptop without any problems.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_C For This Useful Post: Show me >>