May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    me again, does anyone know how to make cordial..... i growing blackcurrants and my bushes are already laden with what will be blackcurrants so i should hopefully be getting quite a large harvest of them, i do make jam and freeze some for pies etc but i seem to have an exceptionally large amount this year i would love to make RIBENA type stuff that you add water to dilute pls and ty:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • jumblejack wrote: »
    Eyeswideopen,
    I used to have hens and would often find eggs in unusual places not knowing when they were laid.
    A simple, timeless method of testing is simply this:

Pop egg into a jug of water.
    If it floats to the top, bin it!!!
    If it floats only a little, up to half way point, use it for baking.
    If it stays at the bottom, it's as fresh as a daisy!!

The scientific reason is that eggs are porous: they absorb air.
    The older it is, the bigger the air sac. Hence the floating.

Your eggs can last for months in the fridge. Honestly. If in doubt, conduct the test.

:T

Excellent advice, I wish I had know this last week, I threw away 12 eggs :mad: :(

I had salmonella about 20 years ago, it was horrific! I lost 3 stone in 3 weeks :eek: and was hospitalised for over a month, awful......... anyway it was blamed on under cooked eggs, so I have always been over cautious!

Anyway, have updated my signature, I had a spend of £27.48 in land of ice and got a £5 off £25 future spend, so will use that this weekend.

Went into Mr T tonight to get a birthday pressie for a work colleague. I picked up a lovely mug with a pic of a custard cream on it for £1.97 (they had jammy dodgers, bourbons, nice & digestives), a pack of custard creams 65p and a card for £1..... really pleased :T

Still looking for a 2nd freezer!

Happy Wednesday to you all
    Pix
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hi everyone!

I have just had my dinner - turkey bolognese, and made a JJ micropud for pudding. OMG it was lush! I did the golden syrup one. Will def be making that again!! So easy to do too, which is even more of a bonus! Thanks JJ!

NSD today :D That's two out of two for this month so far! I'm planning on managing until Saturday with nsds, and need to go then because of buying a present and then getting bmfv ready for next week.

Only trouble is, I am running out of milk...

Oh no, strike that - I bought myself a litre of uht for just such an emergency! That was a good idea on my part! And the fact I remembered it too...

Hope you're all having a great evening; I'm off to curl up with my kindle (doesn't sound the same, does it?!), and have a cuppa while my dinner goes down.

Night all!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Florenceem wrote: »
    No prize - cheats never prosper! :( Well - unless they are in government! :D

Cheating? Never! Just using my intuition and detective skills! :D Unless you explore all options you never get ahead....:p
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NSD here - need to get in quite a few of them - don't like my May GC total! :eek:
    We had roast potatoes, roast parsnip, steak in thick gravy, HM Yorkshire pudding with roasted beetroot, onions and tomatoes for dinner. I made 12 Yorkshire puddings so 10 to go in the freezer.

7136651999_fb21fbaac0.jpg

Tomorrow night is TITH.

I have done my menu for the next 18 day's dinners - takes me up to next pension day.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    NickJW wrote: »
    Cheating? Never! Just using my intuition and detective skills! :D Unless you explore all options you never get ahead....:p
    Silver tongue - are you a politician? :D
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • NickJW
    Forumite
    Silver tongue - are you a politician? :D

I wish! (actually - no I don't!). I WOULD like the salary, but everything else about the position I would hate. I like my work/life balance for instance. I would rather earn less money and have more time to myself, than be like a lot of people I know who work full time, then take home work for the evening. Yes - it's great to earn loads of money, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it? :think:

PS: Sorry if I ruined your guessing game btw. :(

• NickJW
    Forumite
    NSD here - need to get in quite a few of them - don't like my May GC total! :eek:
    We had roast potatoes, roast parsnip, steak in thick gravy, HM Yorkshire pudding with roasted beetroot, onions and tomatoes for dinner. I made 12 Yorkshire puddings so 10 to go in the freezer.

7136651999_fb21fbaac0.jpg

Tomorrow night is TITH.

I have done my menu for the next 18 day's dinners - takes me up to next pension day.

Dinner looks loooevvely! I've never been able to make a good Yorkshire!. They always end up too dry and crispy so I never bother anymore!

• Bumpmakesfour
    Bumpmakesfour Posts: 852 Forumite
    Ok...I have just inventoried(IS that a word??) my cupboards/fridge and freezer and am sat pen in hand meal planning for the week.I'm actually gobsmacked what I just found in my cupboards!! Beans,tomatoes,kidney beans,cannelini beans ..pasta, rice,noodles galore.5 homemade frozen chilli,4 frozen shep pie bases,3 frz spag bols.Spices,sauces..plus lots lots more..gawd TONS!!!how did I not notice :eek:
    Am I starting the right way btw?My strategy is to use everything we have first so hopefully a nice cheap first week ;)
    Slightly mad mummy to four kidlets aged 4 months,6,7 and 8 :D:D:D xx
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    craigywv wrote: »
    me again, does anyone know how to make cordial..... i growing blackcurrants and my bushes are already laden with what will be blackcurrants so i should hopefully be getting quite a large harvest of them, i do make jam and freeze some for pies etc but i seem to have an exceptionally large amount this year i would love to make RIBENA type stuff that you add water to dilute pls and ty:)

Haven't got a cordial recipe to hand, but I make Blackberry Vinegar, which is brilliant neat for sore throats and colds, or diluted with water for a refreshing drink. (Yes, really!)

Blackcurrant Vinegar - R!bena with a kick!

Rinse a quantity of blackcurrants, (no need to top, tail n de-stalk). Drain. Bring to a gentle simmer, without added water, until they are cooked.. Squash them through a sieve.

Add 1lb of sugar and 1 pint of vinegar for each pint of juice,

Bring to the boil, dissolving the sugar. Simmer until syrupy. Pour into scalded glass bottles. Cap tightly.

Keeps in pantry for years. Once opened, store in fridge. Mmmmmmm!

I know it's tempting to buy the vinegar in quantity, but I use vinegar, in pint bottles, from Mr M, because the bottles are a handy size for fruit vinegars and cordials.

Can also be used as a sauce on puddings and ice cream etc.

Enjoy!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business