IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bus Passes
Views: 9,771
# 41
Doc N
Old 25-04-2012, 6:41 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I doubt even this wretched 'government' would dare take bus passes away - it was a very clear election promise and a certain vote loser. Oddly, it's Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems who talk most about means-testing it, and who's ever going to trust Clegg again after the university fees fiasco?

Mind you, any party led by a couple of no-hopers about whom even one of their own MPs said recently:

"Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others – and that is their real crime."

is capable of shafting anyone - unless they happen to be wealthy!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc N For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
dzug1
Old 25-04-2012, 7:02 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Problem is not so much the bus passes themselves but whether local authorities will have the funding to pay the bus companies whatever it is they pay them for the pensioners' travel. If that's insufficient then the bus companies will cancel journeys and/or routes or maybe refuse to accept the passes.
# 43
zygurat789
Old 25-04-2012, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzug1 View Post
Problem is not so much the bus passes themselves but whether local authorities will have the funding to pay the bus companies whatever it is they pay them for the pensioners' travel. If that's insufficient then the bus companies will cancel journeys and/or routes or maybe refuse to accept the passes.
But it is the central government who funds it ie gives the local councils the money, isn't it?
The only thing that is constant is change.
# 44
zygurat789
Old 25-04-2012, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc N View Post
I doubt even this wretched 'government' would dare take bus passes away - it was a very clear election promise and a certain vote loser. Oddly, it's Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems who talk most about means-testing it, and who's ever going to trust Clegg again after the university fees fiasco?

Mind you, any party led by a couple of no-hopers about whom even one of their own MPs said recently:

"Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others – and that is their real crime."

is capable of shafting anyone - unless they happen to be wealthy!
They have already gone back on their official word, see post 35
The only thing that is constant is change.
The Following User Says Thank You to zygurat789 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
jmaster
Old 25-04-2012, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default increase in age for Bus pass

The age for qualifying is increasing as the retirement age for women increases. So if you have just turned 60 , you won't get the pass until you are 62 and a half.

The retirement age for women is increasing until it is 66 for both men and women. (I think they are still talking about whether this will go up further)
# 46
Doc N
Old 25-04-2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygurat789 View Post
They have already gone back on their official word, see post 35
I agree with you entirely - and they'll continue to lie and cheat their way through until they (hopefully) get kicked out at the next election.

I think bus passes might be the one thing they're stuck with, though - the promises were very specific and were repeated again recently.
# 47
headpin
Old 26-04-2012, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Extract from Boris Johnson's manifestos for Mayor of London 2012

"I have maintained free or discounted fares for the most vulnerable, including the Freedom Pass for older people, which I extended to 24 hours, and for disabled people17. If elected I will go further and reverse the last Labour Government’s decision to stop Londoners getting their Freedom Pass at 60"

And Ken Livingstone's:

"I will return the age of eligibility for the Freedom Pass to 60."

So, if either get elected then the "expectation" is that Londoners will still enjoy "free" travel at 60.
The Following User Says Thank You to headpin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
dzug1
Old 27-04-2012, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygurat789 View Post
But it is the central government who funds it ie gives the local councils the money, isn't it?
Yes it is - but they don't/won't give enough (whatever 'enough' is). So effectively they can keep the bus pass scheme but not fund it and let the LA take the flak.
# 49
John_Pierpoint
Old 27-04-2012, 1:45 PM

My local authority has already cut back on the buses - but we now have a long distance pensioner's special that rambles through all the villages.

Perhaps we can get the driver to drop passengers at their front door, like the buses I remember from my boyhood.
# 50
dzug1
Old 28-04-2012, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Pierpoint View Post

Perhaps we can get the driver to drop passengers at their front door, like the buses I remember from my boyhood.
My local bus does that - in the smaller places anyway. And some have turned into a roughly timetabled dial-a-ride service
The Following User Says Thank You to dzug1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
margaretclare
Old 28-04-2012, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpin View Post

"I have maintained free or discounted fares for the most vulnerable, including the Freedom Pass for older people, which I extended to 24 hours, and for disabled people17. If elected I will go further and reverse the last Labour Government’s decision to stop Londoners getting their Freedom Pass at 60"

And Ken Livingstone's:

So, if either get elected then the "expectation" is that Londoners will still enjoy "free" travel at 60.
Did you enquire what Siobhan Benita says about this? She's apparently doing very well in the opinion polls.
Ær ic wisdom funde, ær wearð ic eald.
Before I found wisdom, I became old.
# 52
chesky369
Old 29-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretclare View Post
Did you enquire what Siobhan Benita says about this? She's apparently doing very well in the opinion polls.
Well she won't get too many votes in West London that's for sure, since she is backing a third runway at Heathrow.
# 53
alanq
Old 29-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretclare View Post
She has a lot to say on transport but seems to be silent on the matter of the Freedom Pass.
http://www.londonmoving.org.uk/blog/?p=6334
# 54
teajug
Old 01-05-2012, 9:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpin View Post

And Ken Livingstone's:

Since it was Ken Livingston that brought in the freedom passes he said that there was no way he would rescend it. He also says that the will be reducing fares for everyone about 7% and also looking at the housing problems that exists in the city.

As for Bois he brought in the Boris bikes and to be able to take one out you have be a holder of a credit card that is if you have not got a disability and able ride on in London. Not much bike lanes created either in the city for these bikes, nothing at all about getting all transport and especially underground station usable for all disabled people.

Last edited by teajug; 01-05-2012 at 9:46 AM.
# 55
Farway
Old 01-05-2012, 2:46 PM

Know what? Millions of people do not live in London and have zero interest or care about Boris bike, Oyster cards or Freedom passes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
chesky369
Old 01-05-2012, 4:15 PM

..........and millions of people DO live in London, some of them even on these boards.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chesky369 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Doc N
Old 01-05-2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesky369 View Post
..........and millions of people DO live in London, some of them even on these boards.
I'm not one of them (thankfully) - but I'm very envious of the Freedom Pass available in London.
# 58
HappyMedium
Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Would be great to have buses or trains - have to have a car in rural areas
# 59
John_Pierpoint
Old 03-05-2012, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMedium View Post
Would be great to have buses or trains - have to have a car in rural areas

..........................or a motor bike?
# 60
islandman
Old 17-09-2012, 6:35 PM

and if they were being abolished, tell me why rail companies are now trialing their use to give one third off normal fares. Admittedly to begin with it's only on selected routes. There use is equivalent to the old persons railcard ie one third off.

In Dorset you can use them from Weymouth to Westbury (13 stations). yes it's an obscure route, but from small acorns, oak trees grow.