Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cpwp
    Bus Passes
    • 3rd Mar 12, 11:41 PM
    Bus Passes 3rd Mar 12 at 11:41 PM
    Why is this thread closed?

I was talking to a friend today who had heard that the bus pass was going to be withdrawn in 2013. I was sceptical but checked my pass and yes it expires in 2013. I contacted a number of friends and theirs also expires in 2013 which made me think.
    Normally something as large as the number of buss passes would be staggered so then it would not be one colossal effort to renew all the bus passes at once.
    If however it was going to be changed or removed, the fact that it happens to everyone on the same day would be very convenient. No anomalies, pass toady and gone tomorrow.
    Am I just a poor worried person who is being hit left right and centre by price hikes whilst having less money each month?
Page 3
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 25th Apr 12, 6:41 AM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    Doc N
    I doubt even this wretched 'government' would dare take bus passes away - it was a very clear election promise and a certain vote loser. Oddly, it's Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems who talk most about means-testing it, and who's ever going to trust Clegg again after the university fees fiasco?

Mind you, any party led by a couple of no-hopers about whom even one of their own MPs said recently:

"Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others – and that is their real crime."

is capable of shafting anyone - unless they happen to be wealthy!
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 25th Apr 12, 7:02 AM
    • 13,334 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    dzug1
    Problem is not so much the bus passes themselves but whether local authorities will have the funding to pay the bus companies whatever it is they pay them for the pensioners' travel. If that's insufficient then the bus companies will cancel journeys and/or routes or maybe refuse to accept the passes.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 25th Apr 12, 9:20 AM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Problem is not so much the bus passes themselves but whether local authorities will have the funding to pay the bus companies whatever it is they pay them for the pensioners' travel. If that's insufficient then the bus companies will cancel journeys and/or routes or maybe refuse to accept the passes.
    Originally posted by dzug1
    But it is the central government who funds it ie gives the local councils the money, isn't it?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 25th Apr 12, 9:21 AM
    • 4,236 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    I doubt even this wretched 'government' would dare take bus passes away - it was a very clear election promise and a certain vote loser. Oddly, it's Nick Clegg and the Lib Dems who talk most about means-testing it, and who's ever going to trust Clegg again after the university fees fiasco?

Mind you, any party led by a couple of no-hopers about whom even one of their own MPs said recently:

"Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others – and that is their real crime."

is capable of shafting anyone - unless they happen to be wealthy!
    Originally posted by Doc N
    They have already gone back on their official word, see post 35
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • jmaster
    increase in age for Bus pass
    The age for qualifying is increasing as the retirement age for women increases. So if you have just turned 60 , you won't get the pass until you are 62 and a half.

The retirement age for women is increasing until it is 66 for both men and women. (I think they are still talking about whether this will go up further)
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 25th Apr 12, 2:33 PM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    Doc N
    They have already gone back on their official word, see post 35
    Originally posted by zygurat789
    I agree with you entirely - and they'll continue to lie and cheat their way through until they (hopefully) get kicked out at the next election.

I think bus passes might be the one thing they're stuck with, though - the promises were very specific and were repeated again recently.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 26th Apr 12, 10:15 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    headpin
    Extract from Boris Johnson's manifestos for Mayor of London 2012

"I have maintained free or discounted fares for the most vulnerable, including the Freedom Pass for older people, which I extended to 24 hours, and for disabled people17. If elected I will go further and reverse the last Labour Government’s decision to stop Londoners getting their Freedom Pass at 60"

And Ken Livingstone's:

"I will return the age of eligibility for the Freedom Pass to 60."

So, if either get elected then the "expectation" is that Londoners will still enjoy "free" travel at 60.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 27th Apr 12, 9:15 AM
    • 13,334 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    dzug1
    But it is the central government who funds it ie gives the local councils the money, isn't it?
    Originally posted by zygurat789
    Yes it is - but they don't/won't give enough (whatever 'enough' is). So effectively they can keep the bus pass scheme but not fund it and let the LA take the flak.
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 27th Apr 12, 1:45 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    My local authority has already cut back on the buses - but we now have a long distance pensioner's special that rambles through all the villages.

Perhaps we can get the driver to drop passengers at their front door, like the buses I remember from my boyhood.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 28th Apr 12, 9:25 AM
    • 13,334 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    dzug1

Perhaps we can get the driver to drop passengers at their front door, like the buses I remember from my boyhood.
    Originally posted by John_Pierpoint
    My local bus does that - in the smaller places anyway. And some have turned into a roughly timetabled dial-a-ride service
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 28th Apr 12, 1:52 PM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 16,090 Thanks
    margaretclare

"I have maintained free or discounted fares for the most vulnerable, including the Freedom Pass for older people, which I extended to 24 hours, and for disabled people17. If elected I will go further and reverse the last Labour Government’s decision to stop Londoners getting their Freedom Pass at 60"

And Ken Livingstone's:

So, if either get elected then the "expectation" is that Londoners will still enjoy "free" travel at 60.
    Originally posted by headpin
    Did you enquire what Siobhan Benita says about this? She's apparently doing very well in the opinion polls.
    Ær ic wisdom funde, ær wearð ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • chesky369
    Did you enquire what Siobhan Benita says about this? She's apparently doing very well in the opinion polls.
    Originally posted by margaretclare
    Well she won't get too many votes in West London that's for sure, since she is backing a third runway at Heathrow.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 29th Apr 12, 12:59 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    alanq
    Originally posted by margaretclare
    She has a lot to say on transport but seems to be silent on the matter of the Freedom Pass.
    http://www.londonmoving.org.uk/blog/?p=6334
  • teajug

And Ken Livingstone's:

Originally posted by headpin
    Since it was Ken Livingston that brought in the freedom passes he said that there was no way he would rescend it. He also says that the will be reducing fares for everyone about 7% and also looking at the housing problems that exists in the city.

As for Bois he brought in the Boris bikes and to be able to take one out you have be a holder of a credit card that is if you have not got a disability and able ride on in London. Not much bike lanes created either in the city for these bikes, nothing at all about getting all transport and especially underground station usable for all disabled people.
    Last edited by teajug; 01-05-2012 at 9:46 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 1st May 12, 2:46 PM
    • 4,740 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    Farway
    Know what? Millions of people do not live in London and have zero interest or care about Boris bike, Oyster cards or Freedom passes
  • chesky369
    ..........and millions of people DO live in London, some of them even on these boards.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 1st May 12, 4:54 PM
    • 5,680 Posts
    • 18,544 Thanks
    Doc N
    ..........and millions of people DO live in London, some of them even on these boards.
    Originally posted by chesky369
    I'm not one of them (thankfully) - but I'm very envious of the Freedom Pass available in London.
  • HappyMedium
    Would be great to have buses or trains - have to have a car in rural areas
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 3rd May 12, 8:31 AM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    Would be great to have buses or trains - have to have a car in rural areas
    Originally posted by HappyMedium

..........................or a motor bike?
    • islandman
    • By islandman 17th Sep 12, 6:35 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    islandman
    and if they were being abolished, tell me why rail companies are now trialing their use to give one third off normal fares. Admittedly to begin with it's only on selected routes. There use is equivalent to the old persons railcard ie one third off.

In Dorset you can use them from Weymouth to Westbury (13 stations). yes it's an obscure route, but from small acorns, oak trees grow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,478Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter