Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Student Money Saving > Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What... (Page 4)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?
Views: 14,230
# 61
bouncydog1
Old 20-04-2012, 7:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by setmefree2 View Post
Is a small safe worth having for valuables - cameras, I pods, etc? You can pick them up quite cheap these days.
Good suggestion, but you would be giving potential thieves a bonus by keeping all the valuables in one place. Unless the safe can be bolted to the wall/floor (and in Uni you're not allowed to deface the property) then thieves could just pick it up and walk off with it!

It might also mean that students were less careful about ensuring their room was always locked when they left it - which would invalidate a theft insurance claim.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bouncydog1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 62
doglover123
Old 20-04-2012, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Matress protector - some Uni's come with these bit I brought one and put it ontop of the other one to make the bed even more comfy.
Quilt
Pillows
Bed covers - I brought two to save money on washing
Printer - Most Uni's charge you to use the printer in the Library
Clothes horse - saves money on using the tumble dryer
Towels - Again I brought two to save money on washing
Bath mat (if living in en suite accommodation)
Toiletries - I stocked up on these when they were on offer and I didnt have to buy any until at least Christmas
(Also as a christmas present my Mum brought me a basket full of toiletries so i've never had to buy toiletries since i've been here)
Pots/pans - Tesco Value are what I brought and they have lasted fine
Cutlery
Plates/bowls - I brought two of each so if one broke I had a spare
Glasses
Mugs

Thats all I can think of now.
Also for freshers some shot glasses and maybe some cheap alcohol for predrinking before going out (i know thats what we did to save money!!)
Poundland do a lot of disposable plastic glasses which can be washed which is a doog idea for Freshers week as many of my glasses got smashed because someone drunkly knocked one over!!

I also brought roughly a weeks worth of shopping to cover me before my 1st loan came in before I came to Uni as well which was a huge help.

Many places do delivery on shopping to student accommodation which costs about 3.00 to deliver (which is usually cheaper than bus fair and means you dont have to carry home loads of shopping on the bus!!) which also means you can order some shopping for your daughter if she is desperate!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doglover123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 63
bouncydog1
Old 20-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Forgot to add that I often forward DD money saving emails - 10 train fares etc as well as vouchers for cheap meals out and everything else I can think of. Result? She now does a voucher search before she buys anything -even a recent eye saved 20 - and always asks if shops give a student discount!
The Following User Says Thank You to bouncydog1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 64
deb0020
Old 23-04-2012, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Essentials from my experience with a daughter going into catered halls.

To help with getting to know people:-

Full length mirror DD was the only one on her floor with one and so lots of other girls popped in, especially on fancy dress nights.
Something to prop door open with
Alcohol
Biscuits
Sweets
Tea, coffee

Plates, glasses, cups, cutlery, Just because there are 3 meals a day provided does not mean they will not eat in their rooms.

Clothes horse.

All basics :- sellotape, scissors, safety pins, needle and thread, blu tac, change for laundrette, batteries, plasters, paracetomol, post its, drawing pins etc. All the things they are used to having provided for them at home.

Knowing how to use a:-
Microwave
Toaster
Washing machine
Tumble dryer

You would be surprised how many of my DDs fellow students struggled with basic equipment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deb0020 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 65
BACKFRMTHEEDGE
Old 18-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thought I'd give this a bump back to the first page.

I had a " Parents Welcome Pack" from my kids university. Anyone else get one?

The Following User Says Thank You to BACKFRMTHEEDGE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 66
mrs motivated
Old 18-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My daughter got a welcome pack today. But doesn't know yet which accommodation she will be in. She is guaranteed a place in halls, but had to apply for 3. Each with different facilities (and prices ).

I am so excited for her and can't wait to start getting the things she will need, so glad I found this thread
Well behaved women seldom make history . . . . .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs motivated For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 67
New York No1 fan
Old 18-08-2012, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergirl View Post
Hello not sure if this is in the right place so if necessary could someone put it right
I am the mother of a child going to Uni in September 2012 and aside from all the issues with finance I know that I am going to have to get him a lot of other things like pots and pans etc. I thought we could start a thread advising each other of any bargains. Also any parents of currents students could advise of things they bought that either turned out to be really useful or a waste of time.
To get the ball rolling. I went into B*S yesterday and they had an 80% off sale in the home section. I bought a two seasons duvet reduced from 55 to 16. Then I asked about a discount card I had which they didn't know how to work, so they asked if I was a student to which I said no but I am buying this for a student so they knocked another 20% off making it 13.20 The quality looked O.K. and I thought this would be doubly useful as it covers all eventualities..hot/cold room and a spare duvet if friends come to visit. The uni he is hoping to go to has a shared kitchen and they advised not to buy lots of pots and pans as everyone brings them and for awhile they have 8 of everything, so my MIL is giving us a set of spare pans, so we won't have to fork out for them initially and we can suppliment them at a later date if need be.
I am hoping by starting early on my purchases to get some bargains in the sales. Anyone else got any thoughts
Suggest making everything identifiable in the kitchen department.

DD and No1 son daubed a spot of hammerite paint on all their items, not necessarily to prevent it from getting stolen but more as a point of ID especially if you are buying new stuff rather than taking items from the home. You'll be amazed what they can't identify as their own when its all in the same cupboard as 6 other people!

So far the paint has lasted 4 years worth of washing up!!

Also invaluable is the tin of sweets to share around with their new housemates on arrivals day. Helps break the ice!

Defoe suggest 9 page list of 'what to take to uni' on Student Room site as already suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to New York No1 fan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 68
vanoonoo
Old 18-08-2012, 2:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

a sharpie pen, a book of stamps, a set or two of passport photos would all be useful
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z founder (newbies welcome)
keep safe and warm and dry and hydrated
Inventor of the BugOutBra and the BarBra
be good, be safe, be careful
The Following User Says Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 69
mintymoneysaver
Old 18-08-2012, 9:34 PM

Glad this thread has been bumped. Daughter has just found out her hall today, not what she wanted ( it's catered with a sink when she wanted self catered and en suite!) so she's gonig to try and phone them on Monday, but then we'll be using this to help us plan.
Wins: 2010-800, 2011-450, 2012-600, 2013-290 /2013
Win letters of the alphabet- ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Book x 3,whisky, hairdryer/brush, cinema tickets, Spontex cleaning stuff, tea tree set, Glam tickets, Ladies Day tickets, hair oil
The Following User Says Thank You to mintymoneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 70
SuziQ
Old 18-08-2012, 11:33 PM

I bought my DD a lovely small clothes airer for her room this week ( she has recently finished her degree) it was from dunhelm mill and it has a small foot print but is taller than average. It was 12 and came in lovely colours, lol.

We bought a small, heavy duty lockable Filing cabinet when she first started Uni, to put her valuables and lap top in, she took it to each accommodation and it gave her some security. I know a serious thief would have got into it, but it would have slowed them down, and certainly stoped sticky fingers that her flatmates suffered from occasionally when they had parties!We got it from a second hand office supply shop for about 35.
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 71
SuziQ
Old 19-08-2012, 12:10 AM

Having just read the full thread, I would just like to add my two-pennorth about helping your kids out at the start of this adventure. I shopped with my DD to get her stuff, we were really lucky that WIlkies had a mammoth sale on in July that year so we got a huge trolly full of stuff for less than30!
It's a big thing for a lot of kids, leaving home for the first time. I wanted her to be able to just enjoy the first few weeks without worrying about getting 'stuff' and I know she appreciated it. She learnt to cook before she went and ate really well and cheaply for the whole 4 years, budgeting carefully. Every time I saw her I wold give her a bag of shopping- the essentials like long life milk, tinned toms etc, plus a few treats I knew she wouldn't buy for herself. I put stuff away whenever I got a good deal, and she stored the tinned stuff under her bed in those pull-out under bed storage boxes. I would send her back also with home made cottage pie and pasta meals, split into reusable boxes to freeze- that was especially useful to her, when she was sitting exams as she could just pull out a ready made nutritious meal with little effort and get on with her work. When she was cooking she would make a double portion, having the second for her lunch the next day- so proud of her!

On the other hand, one of her friends was just left to get on with it, and spent all her money very quickly in the first term, leaving her broke- and her mum furious. The second year that mum doled out her money like pocket money, leaving the poor kid with no feeling of independence at al. She learnt nothing from it, whereas if that mum had taken the time to teach her to cook, shop, budget- how different an experience it could have been for her!

When I took DD back after a period at home I would take her to the Asda local to her digs and was always impressed with how she shopped. She actually came away from Uni with savings, never had any debt/overdraft and is a very resourceful, independant young lady now, so helping her did not hold her back or baby her in any way!
Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!

Last edited by SuziQ; 19-08-2012 at 12:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 72
awayinchina
Old 19-08-2012, 6:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Also, you may want to look at student software (last thing most parents think about). As a student they will be able to get MS Office and a few other packs at a discount (www.software4students.co.uk) the office comes with a key to use on 3 pc's.
Most think halls are pretty safe and in the whole they are but laptops are stolen from halls on a regular basis. There are PC tracking software so should it be stolen as soon as the thief turns it on it takes a picture via webcam logs its location IP etc and emails the owner or designated email all the information. this kind of software costs around 50 and is worth it.
Also, a spare hard drive is a good idea and an account with drop box so the student can back up data (dropbox provides 2.5gb free storage).
as the student progresses on there course software like minitab, adobe photoshop and endnote might be required and as a student can be purchased at a discount.

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to awayinchina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 73
bossymoo
Old 19-08-2012, 7:49 AM

My uni days were before the advent of laptops, and even mobile phones weren't commonplace, but we were warned not to keep valuables. All sorts of things went missing. It's a good idea to safeguard things. I know someone who had everything valuable tied up in bike locks... A good idea.

The best thing I was given was a little kettle for my room, and a jar of tea, the type with milk powder already in. Would stop me going to the kitchen and getting distracted if I was supposed to be studying...

Also, tinned meals are great, but there is only so much storage, so regular top ups.

Lastly, I never got anything in the post from my parents. I was given a phone card to call them, but was jealous when all the other kids got sent little parcels. I remember having a little cry after my friend got sent a pack with some wine gums, a letter from mum and dad, and a photo.

I realise the digital age is different, with texts and mobile Internet, but I still think getting a handwritten by snail mail is wonderful!
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - #91 - 300 so far
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 74
BACKFRMTHEEDGE
Old 19-08-2012, 9:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadoosh View Post
I love how deluded some parents are on here.

Key points.

Your child will be drunk a lot (especially in the first two weeks)
Your child will spend money on alcohol
My kids hate the way "your" generation tries to portray all young people as drunks and drugies.

This generation is not quite the same as "yours".

Quote:
Teenagers in England are shunning drink and drugs for a cleaner lifestyle, say health officials.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18996139

Seriously, there is nothing like being brought up by a generation of alkies to put you off drinking.

Hope your liver is holding up.

Last edited by BACKFRMTHEEDGE; 19-08-2012 at 9:45 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BACKFRMTHEEDGE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 75
BACKFRMTHEEDGE
Old 19-08-2012, 9:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anybody got any advice on looking after valuables?

The Following User Says Thank You to BACKFRMTHEEDGE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 76
BACKFRMTHEEDGE
Old 19-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good Website here

http://www.savethestudent.org/accomm...niversity.html

# 77
awayinchina
Old 20-08-2012, 3:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKFRMTHEEDGE View Post
Anybody got any advice on looking after valuables?
as for laptops go for a kingston laptop lock.
In regards other valuables I know it might sound anal but suitcase place them in it lock the case and place into the cupboard.

other than that not much else you can do. Chances are you can tell a child what to do, but unless you are there to police it, you have to leave them to it and class it as a life lesson about to be learned.
The Following User Says Thank You to awayinchina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 78
chaostheory
Old 20-08-2012, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendall View Post
The one thing i regret is the tv license i made sure he had one and said we would pay for it, but he has said this week that he never watches tv, he uses the tv for his xbox and watches stuff on iplayer.
Thank you for this post. I think you have saved me a couple of hundred quid!!!! My son doesn't really watch any TV (he'll be more than happy with some DVDs that he can watch on his lap top) and I've just checked that he can watch BBC progs on i player legally without a TV licence.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to chaostheory For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 79
BACKFRMTHEEDGE
Old 20-08-2012, 8:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awayinchina View Post
In regards other valuables I know it might sound anal but suitcase place them in it lock the case and place into the cupboard.
Is this a common hiding place for laptops? It's just that this crossed my mind too - so it might be a bit obvious?

# 80
awayinchina
Old 20-08-2012, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKFRMTHEEDGE View Post
Is this a common hiding place for laptops? It's just that this crossed my mind too - so it might be a bit obvious?
I would put all other valuables in the case. The laptop I would secure using a kensington laptop lock. This lock connects to the chase of the laptop and then the cable is used to secure to a table etc.
Have a look at kensington laptop locks:
http://www.kensington.com/kensington...different.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awayinchina For This Useful Post: Show me >>