Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle gui... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle guide
Views: 10,378
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 20-04-2012, 7:30 PM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Please feed back on the Freecycle and Freegle guide

Hi all, we've written a new Giveaway Sites guide to help you make the most of Freecycle and Freegle.

How did you find the info? If you're a Freegler, do you have any other tips you'd add? What are your best freebies?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MSE Jenny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The following User got this: Show me >>
# 2
fartinafit
Old 20-04-2012, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fartinafit
Default Freegle is absolutely super!

Thanks to the kindness of local Freegle members I've been donated almost all of the components to allow me to build a twenty foot (about six and a half metres in new money) greenhouse. All of the glass, doors, paving stones, most of the timber and industrial rubber backed rugs. It actually looks very good, almost professional!
Thank you Freegle!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fartinafit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
KxMx
Old 20-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I replied here from a feedback link in the guide.Clicky
The Following User Says Thank You to KxMx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
skyblue_scarlet
Old 21-04-2012, 7:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I used freecycle to get a sewing machine when i moved last year and although its an old machine (must be twice my age!) it was perfect for making some new cushions and throws etc to jazz up the house and the lovely lady even dropped it off for me as i dont have a car, she saved me a fortune.... a friend of mine told me about freecycle after she moved and desperately needed some furniture.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue_scarlet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
JC4Stuff
Old 21-04-2012, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Freegle - easier to use

As a Freegle user its been really useful to see them integrate it with Facebook and Twitter. Just makes it easier to see people's posts especially when I've viewing on my phone.

Also had some great items in the past, one top quality high sleeper saved me over a grand.
The Following User Says Thank You to JC4Stuff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
mttylad
Old 21-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello Jenny, thank you for the alterations you have made prompted from this post/thread.

Freecycle is the reuse group that hits the headlines because they were here first and the press seem to ignore the Freegle groups that have replaced them in the UK because they do not do enough research IMO.
Not to forget the other reuse groups as the main aim of them is to find new homes for peoples unwanted stuff rather than a freebies site.

When someone asks me what Freegle/Freecycle is all about I generally explain that if they have a wardrobe that is still in a usable condition that they no longer want. By offering it on the group not only will they find someone to take it away but they will often come and dismantle it or carry out out for you - leaving you to do nothing AND express gratitude to you. Additionally if you are searching for a something - some widget you have lost a part of etc then a WANTED post can be made to see if someone else in your local area has one that they do not mind giving away.

Mtty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mttylad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
edwh
Old 21-04-2012, 11:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Top tip: if you ever find yourself thinking "surely nobody would want this", then stop right there! The way to find out whether anyone would want it is to try freegling it.

Also think about freegling from work. Firms dispose of a lot of usable stuff, and pay to do so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edwh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
darkrev
Old 21-04-2012, 1:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What a great guide, yes I'm a Freegler and proud of it ! My advice would be that when collecting, try not to go alone. Sometimes you get invited into peoples houses ( sometimes they want you to fetch the item or have other things to offer/ show you) . I have been invited in where both parties were wearing small dressing gowns and nothing else. !!!

If you can't collect at the time arranged, Please contact the person you should be meeting in advance, even if you are just stuck in traffic. It really helps. IF you are a NO SHOW , it makes people angry. So if you can , just let them know , its appreciated.

You can also say no sometimes without offending ( it's not easy) .

Make sure you have transport to collect bigger items, don't ask for a canoe cos you fancy one , then not have a clue how you can get it home. Tell the Freegler if you have or haven't transport, when you request it. Many will drop it off when passing but some need a quick removal and won't be able to hang about . So be honest it's appreciated.

Try not to ask for everything you see.

You get to know those you suspect are selling on Ebay or car boots. If you want stuff to sell on car boots. Say so. some people have mixed boxes of stuff they want rid of in one go. Also rude and demanding emails are always ignored, but sometimes English isn't their first language, so please bare that in mind too.

I have enjoyed my time in the Freegle community. It's always an adventure. I have enjoyed sharing we have, because many charities charge people a lot of money for things now. We have received some lovely ( and not so lovely things) . Many those bits and pieces you hate paying for.....like small amounts of paint, or clothes airers even a sewing machine.

We have given away stuff that helped someone turn their spare room into an office and helped someone take their first steps into catering with the clothing and tools we no longer needed.

So go have a clear out of your old paint, your toiletries you tried once and didn't use, the spare kettle and iron you dont need, those glasses and crockery that you don't ever use. The exerciser bike that now collects dust. The cat bed and food it just ignores !

The perfume you got for xmas and didnt like or the bottle of vino that you will never drink. The 100 aloe vera plant cuttings and tomato seedlings that grew too quickly, The jeans that you will never fit again or the maternity clothes you were given and never worn.Old cookery books and stationary too.

You could make someone really happy and one day you might need a roof rack or a baby bouncer or a new bath and a Freegler might just have what you need too ! Just a thot # weirdest thing even seen on Freegle: battery hens with no feathers ( all found good homes) and Stick insects.!
Thank you to all the money savers for all the wisdom, companionship, bargains, competitions and ideas you have made a transformation to our household, Thank you, it would have been so much harder without you and together we are amazing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to darkrev For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
egs
Old 21-04-2012, 9:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default re: Additional tip

Quote:
"How did you find the info? If you're a Freegler, do you have any other tips you'd add? What are your best freebies?"
I found this info as a result of a "freegle or freecycle" Google alert I receive on a daily basis.

A tip I think would be worth adding is "patience"... A paragraph or two on the subject of patience. Many people keep stuff around for decades and then want to get rid of it today or they threaten they will put it in to trash tomorrow. What's the rush? Take your time.

Eric Snyder
Ottawa.FullCircles.org (FullCircles.org, a Canadian freecycling venue)

Last edited by egs; 21-04-2012 at 9:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to egs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
missy-
Old 22-04-2012, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I love these sites, got some great stuff over the years. The last GREAT thing I had was a single bed and barely used mattress for my daughter, this saved me between 100-200!
There is always lots of baby / kids stuff and this can really help at an otherwise expensive period :-)
I have to say it is a lot harder to get stuff now than it was a few years ago - I can imagine car boot dealers sat hunched over there computers replying to all offered items.
In response to an earlier post by edwh - I used to use freecycle a lot to get rid of items from the workplace and this was great - better than just ending up in the bin.
Lets keep it going guys :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to missy- For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
faerie~spangles
Old 22-04-2012, 2:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As a hoarder who cannot throw things out, I find Freegle a Godsend, I check the wanteds and if I have it gathering dust I gift it.

My dining room is completely furnished with Freegled items I couldn't have afforded to buy new. this is similar to the one I was gifted. similar table and chairs
I'm not that way reclined

Jewelry? Seriously? Sheldon you are the most shallow, self-centered person I have ever met. Do you really think that another transparently-manipu... OH, IT'S A TIARA! A tiara; I have a tiara! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to faerie~spangles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Blue___Nile
Old 23-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have been on Freecycle/Freegle for a number of years and offered more than I have received and whilst I wholeheartedly support Freecycle I feel I have to point out there are a couple of downsides to this.

Not often but it does happen, people offer things and then disappear off the face of the earth. So you apply for something and have no idea if its ever taken because they don't put it on site or reply to your email.

Also lots of people are no shows when they say they will collect something, so you end up hanging about waiting for them and they don't. Thats ok if you have nothing better to do and sit in and wait but most people live busy lives and don't have time to do this.

Lastly, some people seem to live on the site and grab things within minutes of items appearing which is unfair to those who can't (or have no wish to) access their computer 24/7. I'm often surprised when I check my emails to see an item has gone e.g at 10:07 and then receive an email at 10:11 for the same item thats offered! Just seems strange to me that the timing is backward...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue___Nile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dorathy
Old 29-04-2012, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have freegled lots of stuff. It is handy to pick up some of the gadgets others have ended up not using, or try out something you are thinking of investing in.
You think it is great for a week and then you find you never use it and put it back on. Passing one can crusher electric defluffer etc around, saves everyone having a cupboard full of stuff they never use.
Fancy satin sheets, plenty of used once ones I am sure. Don't buy new until you have tried sleeping in them and ironing them!

Settee too deep you can't put your feet on the floor. Pick up that cottage suite, and put yours on!
The Following User Says Thank You to dorathy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
SailorSam
Old 29-04-2012, 4:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

In the last few weeks i've given away about 75 garden plants, i was amazed how many people answered my post and whenever i'm pruning in the future will always pop the cuttings into pots rather than putting them in the bin. If they start to grow, good i'll help others. I've given away a bike, the first person who asked me didn't turn up, why do they do that. This morning i offered someone quarry tiles but they were already fixed up. I don't think i've got anything yet from others, but Freecycle is a great idea.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
ButtonF1Fan
Old 30-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Best thing i've given away. a sony playstation, controllers, games and memory cards, plus a sony tv. we'd got bored of it, gave the whole lot to 2 young girls who came round with thier mum. the look on thier faces, was like xmas. Shame about all the "grabby" folk who ask for everything... my advice never offer to whoever replies first, give it a day and choose someone who'll use it.

This week i got 2 pairs of lined curtains, with tie back and cushions with spare covers, all matching fabric. the fabric isnt something i'm keen on, but it isnt awful.
My front room wall has a massive double patio door and then smaller window. they are odd size windows, but these fit!!! i'm happy
Mummy to two mischievious boys (D is 12 and J is 6)

I like F1, Blogging and Comping ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to ButtonF1Fan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
grahaml221
Old 30-04-2012, 1:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Being now as im 52 I give my Drum set to a young kid better to see it carry on being used than to let it rot.
Hope his parents have forgiven me
The Following User Says Thank You to grahaml221 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
redsquirrelsuk
Old 02-05-2012, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I regularly recycle unwanted items on Freegle. A tip if you want to take an item that has been offered: good manners are everything. I know I am getting rid of clutter but please and thank you makes all the difference. I also appreciate a reason it helps me to sort out the huge list of people requesting an item. Also if you change your mind, let the giver know so they can offer the item to someone else. Turn up on time or let the giver know you will be late.

I keep a note of people who reply to everything I offer, I suspect these may be sold on. Someone else has mentioned the grabbers, I have never actually managed to bag anything myself despite having put numerous items on offer, I lose out to the same people time and again.

Despite that, its brilliant to be able to get rid of items you no longer want and other people do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redsquirrelsuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
kevanf1
Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Please look out for the South Staffordshire/ West Midlands recycling/repurposing groups that run under both Freegle and Freeworld-Recycling. We are listed on Freegle and work as affiliated groups to them.

A tip? Be nice to other members, your experience will be so much more rewarding and you will make a lot of new friends. Consider also joining your local groups 'cafe' group as you can get some great tips on local services from these which are not allowed on the main groups.
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
# 19
avidfreegler
Old 21-02-2013, 1:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's not correct that you must make an offer first on Freegle. A few groups insist on it but most don't and never have. I have found new homes for all sorts of stuff. I recommend it to anyone who either needs a clear out or who is setting up a new home, you can save an absolute fortune.
# 20
sarmsarm
Old 21-02-2013, 10:09 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default sarmsarm

Freegle sites are wonderful, however very few require anyone to offer an item before they can request one. I cna't speak for Freecycle.

Virtually all Freegle groups recognise that some people need things and others have them to give way and they are not necessarily the same people.

So item 9 is misleading and it would be a great shame if someone was put off from requesting something because they didn't have something to give
The Following User Says Thank You to sarmsarm For This Useful Post: Show me >>