MSE News: Compensation due after HomeServe fined £750,000 for silent calls

Options
Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 6 December 2017 at 12:21PM in Phones & TV
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ofcom has today fined HomeServe for making silent calls, but those affected can claim back £10 compensation"

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    MSE Dan's comment in the article is spot on. Why didn't the regulator think of that?

Also, what happens to the compensation payments that aren't claimed? Will those funds go back into the company's coffers?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If I had a tenner for everything silent call I've received, I'd be living on my own Caribbean island drinking pina coladas on the porch. :cool:
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »
    MSE Dan's comment in the article is spot on. Why didn't the regulator think of that?

Also, what happens to the compensation payments that aren't claimed? Will those funds go back into the company's coffers?

Do they have the power to?

As the article indicates it would put a huge burden on the comany and I imagine OFCOM don't have the power to do it - maybe the article writer can clarify?
  • college_mum
    Options
    Cold sales calling isn't the only issue with Homeserve - it doesn't get any easier when you are their customer. We have Homeserve cover for our central heating boiler. They come out and service it in August each year. In July 2011 we were on hoilday and away from home for 8 days. When we got home there were 11 missed calls (no messages) - all the same number, which turned out to be Homeserve. Same day we got home we got another call (12 calls total) and I explained that we didn't want to book the service yet, and please call back in August when it was actually due. After 3 more calls over the next few days - still in July - (15 calls in total) I gave in and told them to send someone round. They don't do themselves any favours with this rather agressive and bullying technique.
  • Curtis111
    Curtis111 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    on earth are you supposed to know which number they called from if they used an out of house service. . . methinks that they are the only ones who know whom they have called and ought to be honest and cough up. In the last year to my mobile I've had over 100 such silent calls. . . it would be great if it was from them tho' and I could bill them a tenner each.

All I've got to do is prove it which is pretty nigh impossible. Whose side is the regulator on?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How am I supposed to know it was Homeserve that called me last year? I didn't keep a diary or notes of abandoned calls so have no idea of the dates or times. Should I just make a claim anyway?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 11:53AM
    Options
    There is a long list of people on Who calls me from 08451 469372 including me ....

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08451469372

Also 01992 420057 again including me ...

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01922420057

http://www.homeserveplc.com/contact-us/our-locations

Announcement Outbound calls according to Homeserve http://www.homeserveplc.com/media

We stupidly paid a premium for about 10 years, that is when the problem begins because they constantly hassle you to take more policies.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    happymj wrote: »
    how am i supposed to know it was homeserve that called me last year? I didn't keep a diary or notes of abandoned calls so have no idea of the dates or times. Should i just make a claim anyway?

yes .
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    I decided to test out this 'joke compensation' and fired off a complaint via their website. I received a letter in the post this morning and according to them I was not affected by silent calls during Feb-March but that I had received 'numerous' sales calls and having thoroughly investigated they have upheld my complaint and have arranged for a £10 cheque to be delivered.

So that's ok then, I don't think so Homeserve :mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is it worth calling their freephone number to claim a tenner? Chances are you won't get anything out of it. This way you give them your phone number and may been spammed by them forever after. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure