Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Freebies (no spend required) > Freebies gone but not forgotten > World Book Night: one million free books to give ... (Page 13)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
World Book Night: one million free books to give away - have you been selected?
Views: 36,054
# 241
bubs
Old 29-02-2012, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yay, I was chosen too. Not applied before. Mine are going to a local cancer charity where they provide a place to meet plus relaxation treatments. Am v happy, thanks again to the OP.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 242
Miró
Old 16-04-2012, 6:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yay....just got the email to say my books have arrived at my collection point
"Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
# 243
LadyH
Old 16-04-2012, 7:56 PM

Hello. I'm new to this thread.

I picked up my books - Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - today, and just filling out the book plate page.
# 244
Chocmonster7
Old 16-04-2012, 9:48 PM

I've had my email to say they will be ready for collection from tomorrow so looks like I'll be going out between the rain showers!
# 245
atarisrocks
Old 17-04-2012, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

collected mine today they were heavy now gotta find a way to keep 25 books in my work locker to give out to the employees
prizes i would like to win
holiday, car, festival tickets, snowboard equipment, tablet/laptop
# 246
Miró
Old 17-04-2012, 2:44 PM

Yay, picked up my 24 copies of 'Misery' today. Nearly killed me carrying that heavy box the half mile home.....
"Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
# 247
moneypenny2k
Old 03-01-2013, 3:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to moneypenny2k Send a message via Yahoo to moneypenny2k
Default World Book Night 2013 Free books for you and your friends

I've just received an email asking me to sign up to World Book Night once again. It's a scheme where you get a box of books, all the same title, to give away

From the website...
World Book Night is a celebration of reading and books which sees tens of thousands of passionate volunteers gift specially chosen and printed WBN books in their communities to share their love of reading.
Each year we recruit 20,000 volunteers to hand out 20 copies of their favourite book from our list to members of their community who don’t regularly read. By enlisting thousands of passionate book lovers around the country World Book Night reaches out to the millions of people in the UK who have yet to fall in love with reading in the hope that we can start them on their reading journey. In addition World Book Night distributes half a million books directly to the hardest to reach potential readers in prisons, care homes, hospitals, sheltered, supported and social housing, the homeless and through partner charities working throughout the UK. World Book Night is about giving books and encouraging reading in those who don’t regularly do so. But it is also about more than that: it’s about people, communities and connections, about reaching out to others and touching lives in the simplest of ways, through the sharing of stories.

http://www.worldbooknight.org/about-...-to-be-a-giver

Each year I sign up, the idea is that you give the books free of charge to people who don't normally read. Mind you, I always keep one for myself

So not just a freebie for you, one for a lot of other people too

Last edited by moneypenny2k; 03-01-2013 at 3:28 PM.
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to moneypenny2k For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 248
moneypenny2k
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OOOO we got a wow
The Following User Says Thank You to moneypenny2k For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 249
Missli
Old 04-01-2013, 8:58 AM

Thanks for posting. I would love to be involved. I hope I get picked!
Always be yourself!
The Following User Says Thank You to Missli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 250
snowleopard61
Old 04-01-2013, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think this is definitely 'Wow!' The only problem is that I don't really think any of my favourite books would appeal to people who aren't already keen readers. Do you find people usually try to choose books with more general appeal, or do you take it literally and give people your favourite book regardless?
Life is mainly froth and bubble
Two things stand like stone —
Kindness in another’s trouble,
Courage in your own.
Adam Lindsay Gordon
The Following User Says Thank You to snowleopard61 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 251
snowleopard61
Old 04-01-2013, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry, I fired off the question before reading the website and FAQs
Courage in your own.
Adam Lindsay Gordon
The Following User Says Thank You to snowleopard61 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 252
moneypenny2k
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I do tend to pick books I think people will find more accessible rather than worthy. The way to get people into reading is to give them access to books they find enjoyable. I've still got a copy of James Joyce's Ullyses on my shelf that I feel I should read but have never got past page 37.

Also it's a nice thing to do for people, One year I just stood outside Tescos and gave the books to people that looked like they might enjoy them. I love random acts of kindness
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneypenny2k For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 253
snowleopard61
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypenny2k View Post
I do tend to pick books I think people will find more accessible rather than worthy. The way to get people into reading is to give them access to books they find enjoyable. I've still got a copy of James Joyce's Ullyses on my shelf that I feel I should read but have never got past page 37.

Also it's a nice thing to do for people, One year I just stood outside Tescos and gave the books to people that looked like they might enjoy them. I love random acts of kindness
Ulysses, ohhhh yess! I wonder how many people have tried and failed to read this. Thankfully I only borrowed it from the library (more than once, I have to admit, and I never succeeded!).

I've applied for WBN and put The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency as first choice. I reckon if that doesn't appeal to people, there's no hope! Someone gave it to me as a present and since then I've read my way through all the subsequently published books in the same series, plus Scotland Street, Isobel Dalhousie and Corduroy Mansions.

Alexander McCall Smith sounds such a lovely man too. (It's worth checking out the Really Terrible Orchestra on YouTube, which he and his wife belong to. I heard about it and always assumed they would be actually quite good, just not up to professional standards. It was refreshing to find that they are genuinely pretty bad, like a fairly basic school orchestra!)
Courage in your own.
Adam Lindsay Gordon
# 254
DUKE
Old 04-01-2013, 2:32 PM

Thanks moneypenny2k, I was only thinking of this last night in bed I've taken part the last 2 years & would love to do it again.
Thanks everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to DUKE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 255
Madagascar
Old 04-01-2013, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks moneypenny2k, have just registered for this, would love to be involved in something like this
The Following User Says Thank You to Madagascar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 256
kitschkitty
Old 04-01-2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard61 View Post
I've applied for WBN and put The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency as first choice. I reckon if that doesn't appeal to people, there's no hope! Someone gave it to me as a present and since then I've read my way through all the subsequently published books in the same series, plus Scotland Street, Isobel Dalhousie and Corduroy Mansions.

Alexander McCall Smith sounds such a lovely man too. (It's worth checking out the Really Terrible Orchestra on YouTube, which he and his wife belong to. I heard about it and always assumed they would be actually quite good, just not up to professional standards. It was refreshing to find that they are genuinely pretty bad, like a fairly basic school orchestra!)
My mums read them all but I'm afraid I find them a bit boring!
But then we tend to read a lot of fantasy/comedy/sci-fi in our house - and other genres too, to be fair.
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to kitschkitty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 257
snowleopard61
Old 04-01-2013, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitschkitty View Post
My mums read them all but I'm afraid I find them a bit boring!
I can see that they are really quite slow-moving. I've always had what some of my friends consider to be a strange preference for books where nothing happens!

(I'd better stop talking about books as opposed to World Book Night; don't want to hijack the OP's thread but it's tempting!)
Courage in your own.
Adam Lindsay Gordon
# 258
Savethekipper
Old 04-01-2013, 6:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I work in a Magistrates Court and regularly see people who just don't have the same opportunities as me. I have applied to do this in the hope of getting some books to hand out and just maybe get some of them back to reading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savethekipper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 259
moneypenny2k
Old 04-01-2013, 8:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard61 View Post
I can see that they are really quite slow-moving. I've always had what some of my friends consider to be a strange preference for books where nothing happens!

(I'd better stop talking about books as opposed to World Book Night; don't want to hijack the OP's thread but it's tempting!)

LOL I'm happy to talk books, it may convince more people to take part in WBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savethekipper View Post
I work in a Magistrates Court and regularly see people who just don't have the same opportunities as me. I have applied to do this in the hope of getting some books to hand out and just maybe get some of them back to reading.
That's a lovely thought Kipper
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneypenny2k For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 260
emmlouie
Old 23-02-2013, 6:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thank you op, just got my email saying i am to be a book giver this year