Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries > The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012"... (Page 8)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge - PART 3!!!
Closed Thread
Views: 152,359
# 141
kerri_dfw
Old 09-04-2012, 1:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sharronej - that's some great bargains you've picked up there and I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it more than having the little bits that she can go and purchase herself Sorry to hear about the cat I hope she's feeling better now.

Spagbol - it was a very yummy chili, although the recipe uses too much chili and cayenne pepper powder for my liking, so I think where it says "3T" it actually should be 3t for teaspoons instead of tablespoons. Either that or the woman likes REALLY hot food. If you do follow the recipe and it gets too hope, just add some demerara sugar, that tamed it for me recipe here

Jakes-mum - hope you feel better soon I think it's the change in temperature that's knocking people for six at the moment, I was feeling really rundown last week. Although there is that thing of when you have a holiday weekend you always end up sick, real pain though *big hugs*

Jemma - Aw I've just got into gardening too, although I'm growing my veg from seeds as although it'll take a little longer it's really quite cute watching them coming up Lettuce is really easy to grow from seed if you get the chance to find some more, I'm still waiting for the little pea to make his appearance, he's been poking through the top of the soil but not emerged just yet. You are defo right though, the money you spend now will be saved when it comes to harvesting the fruits of your labour

Barbeduk - after staying up until 3.30am listing thing on fleabay I'm with you on the movie day I'm doing nothing today, absolutely nothing!

Well TCB have just reported that my n3tflix payment has been approved and is sat waiting in my account, I have over 18 on there now which I think I shall convert to rainforest vouchers, but need to decide what I want/need from the rainforest. I do want the 3rd book in the series that I'm currently reading (it's a book that was popular in film quite recently, about a girl with a tattoo of a dragon ) I've not seen any of the films yet as I'm reading the book first. Although saying that I do need some tupperware, so maybe I'll split between tupperware and a book

I've just paid my daily 1 to the c/c, quite liking paying it everyday and 1 doesn't seem like very much when I'm doing it like this. Have also just scheduled all my items to active on fleabay, so I shall await the watchers and the bidders. I was going to try to list the additional 33 items to get me to the max of 100, but I don't have it in me to attempt it after spending so long yesterday doing listings.

Anyway, #005 2628/5030
Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
DEBT FREE 13-10-13
Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
Mortgage: 399,435.91
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kerri_dfw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 142
k30lly
Old 09-04-2012, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh no!! I feel like I have wasted a free weekends listing!! I shouldn't be so hard on myself as I've done lots of other organisational stuff this weekend, but can't bear missing one. Anyone ever had bids ending on a Monday? Usually arrange it for Sunday finishing - seem to get more. Might do 10 to make myself feel better! X
1% challenge - Started Feb 2014. Cap1 card 1,073.42
1% = 10.73 0% so far
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to k30lly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 143
mumof3plusoh
Old 09-04-2012, 3:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Jakes-mum sorry to hear you are not well. Get well soon.

I too love to grow my own and I have things starting to come to life in the greenhouse. Note of warning keep an eye out for slugs in the greenhouse. I noticed that the heads of some of my marigolds had started to disappear and the silver trails indicated the dreaded slugs. I sprinkle a few slug pellets around, but be careful of pets. My dogs can't get in there.

What a horrid wet bank hols. Just watched antz and now flushed away on the tv.

Have a lovely relaxing day everyone.
SPC4 #1395 Aug 11 135.75/150
SPC5 #1395 Shower fund used 13.60 31/7/12 Banked Farepack administrators cheque 301 19/10/12 326.40 in the tin....TOTAL 641
SPC6 #1395 Shower fund 10 used 12/8/13 Total 144.62
from the lovely Sue. SPC7 # 051 Banked so far 100

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mumof3plusoh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 144
dd1981
Old 09-04-2012, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Update time for me!

Haven't updated in a wee while so thought I should! Am hoping to knock a little more off this month when my expenses come through and when I finally get my bum into gear to put stuff on fleabay, treegum, amazonia etc!

#056 2,839.87/9,793.81 (28.99%)

Really pleased with how much we have managed to pay off but we really still have so much to learn and change. We are a million times better than we were because of this amazing thread but need to crack down on the unnecessary spending. Gonna set myself a target of NSD's and see how we get on I don't post much but read every day and love hearing how brilliantly everybody is doing. Congratulations to everybody on their debt reduction so far!

DD
xx
CC1- 483.59
CC2- 1925.03 1902.68
Total= 2410.512396.62

24.24 paid 1%
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dd1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 145
Barbeduk
Old 09-04-2012, 5:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

K3olly, you're not too late! It's free listing today too.

Couldn't work out why I was feeling so mellow today then realised that I'm not worrying about money all the time. Even though we're in debt, we are dealing with it. So thank you all for helping me along the way.
June GC 288.01/400
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barbeduk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 146
jakes-mum
Old 09-04-2012, 7:04 PM

Thank you for all your well wishes, I really do feel like cac today, ive not been in this much pain in a long time and am currently considering trying to get in the shower as im so cold, even with a hot water bottle and a duvet on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof3plusoh View Post
Just watched antz and now flushed away on the tv.

Have a lovely relaxing day everyone.
Have just sat and watched both these films too felt like a big kid

My broad bean plant on my kitchen window sill is thriving, its over 3 inches tall now :O havent been out the back to check on my peas and carrots but am hoping for some shoots soon

Right because im feeling so very cac today im declaring another 50 off my overdraft New total is:

3296.35/8806.89 37.43%
SPC No 032 SPC(3) 285/250 (4) 519.84/500 (5) 768.32/500 (6) 911.30/600 (7) 59/600
Total Wins Of 2012 = 3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = 4427.11 Wins of 2014 = 1175.11
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jakes-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 147
kerri_dfw
Old 09-04-2012, 7:35 PM

K30lly - there will be other free listing weekends so I wouldn't worry and don't forget you can still list 100 items in any one month up to 99p each for free Besides I'm sure you actually left the house this weekend unlike me

mumof3plusoh - Ewww icky slugs! Is there an eco-way of seeing them off? I'm trying to be an organic gardener, but still pretty new to all of this.

DD1981 - Congrats on being over a quarter of the way to debt freedom you're doing amazingly well I've found the best visual for NSDs is to write a blue star in marker on my calendar that's by my bedroom door, that way I can see how many NSDs I am racking up.

Barbeduk - I hadn't realised until you mentioned it that I'm not so stressed out about money anymore, I know how much I have to spend and I know I'm going to be ok. Although I did have a panic after I had a mad splurge when it was payday, if I can rein that in then I'll be fine all month long.

jakes-mum - oh no that sounds like how I was the beginning of last week, fortunately for me it didn't come to anything much as I tucked myself up into bed early and slept it off. Hope you feel better soon and nice one on the broad bean plant. Could you send Jake out to check on the peas and carrots? My little seedlings are coming up a bit spindly and I've no idea if that's normal or not. Well done on declaring another 50 off the OD by the way excellent news.

I'm currently watching S1lent W1tness from last night and was shocked at the blase way the detective just said to the other one "He had a 9k overdraft"...."That's nothing these days" WHAT?!?!?! I don't think the British public need the Beeb to be telling them that 9k isn't anything to be too worried about, pfft! I think the majority of society have a lot to wake up to with this debt business, have we really been sold the idea that it's ok to buy things on credit for so long that it doesn't shock anymore? Although saying that C4sualty did make a good point last night that in these times we need to be eating more fresh fruit & veg and less processed or we'll get scurvy ick! Right rant over
Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
DEBT FREE 13-10-13
Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
Mortgage: 399,435.91
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kerri_dfw For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 148
sharronej
Old 09-04-2012, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So sorry you're feeling under the weather Jakes Mum let's hope tomorrow is a better day. Well done on paying another 50 off the overdraft!
LBM 45k Oct 10 Oct 2012 36k including Mortgage May 2013 still 36K

Grocery Challenge wk 1 65/70 wk 2
Jan 191.07/350

My thought for the day - if you're in a hole just stop digging!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sharronej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 149
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 7:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry guys but I'm catching up and updating at the same time so I may be commenting on things from a couple of days ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenwiccan View Post
Hey Jemma, he's going in for an operation on Friday don't really want to say too much about it, its not really routine and its really embarrassing for him but hopefully if it works it'll fix his problem for at least the next ten years. We know he has a good consultant (he was his Mam's cancer consultant and she's in recovery now) but these things are never fun. Recovery is not going to be pleasant apparently but he'll be staying at his parents a few nights as the hospital is next to them. Just want the flat finished and tidy before he comes back so there's no risk of him tripping on boxes.
Well I really hope the operation goes well for him. How far is the hospital/his parents away from your flat? xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes-mum View Post
Am writing my letter to my works today agreeing that for them to make me redundant on medical grounds is the best option all round
Are you sure it is the best option for you hun??? As much as I like where I work I 100% know that I am completely replaceable and there is no real loyalty on their part xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpopsicle View Post
Hi Peeps,
DS had a great time in Berlin (paying for the trip was part of my debt initially) and brought me back some euros. Exchanged and went straight to the bank to pay against cc. Totals now

No. 069 3315/ 7719 = 42.94%

Have a good weekend everyone
Wow you are sooooooo close to 50% hun. Well done!!! xxx
New Debt Journey: Pay off 19,622.91 by 30th April 2015

Debt at Highest: 43,073
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mf0u1098 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 150
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 8:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpagBol View Post
Thanks so much, he is ok thanks but suffers with allergies and after a few weeks at the start of the year on our economy diet of more pasta, bread etc and less meat he looked really tired and unwell. Looks much better again now I found myself on a well known parenting forum for a while worrying about him rather than on here worrying about money but we've still kept the year of austerity up...no pubs or restaurants in 2012 yet (except mothers day!) which is soooo hard but satisfying to save so much money!

We are so determined...we have paid off a huge amount but still at less than 10% I still can't believe we made such bad decisions to get to this place but there we go...

How are you doing anyway K? I must go and check out your diary in a minute.
No pubs or restaurants in 2012!!! You have my deepest respect

I'm glad you put that you've paid a huge amount off, don't think about the total you still have to pay off, try and think of it more in smaller chunks so it doesn't seem so overfacing and celebrate when you've achieved those smaller goals. xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohspals View Post
Haven't posted for a while as I had problems with my laptop but happy to say that i've been chipping away at the debt and for my first post of the new thread would like to say:

#269 3768.90 / 17820.96 paid

As I've said before our aim is to get to 50% by this Xmas and the full amount by Xmas 2013. We are in for the long haul
That's not long now till Xmas 2013, only about 19months!!! In no time at all it'll be Xmas 2012 and you'll be 50% of the way through and onto the home stretch!!! xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly Rocker View Post
Gah - gained 0.5lbs this week.

Probably will gain again cos I'm off it today & monday as its Easter.

138 Dolly Rocker 6/36

Dxxx
I'm not even going to look at the scales for at least a month!!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mf0u1098 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 151
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 8:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenwiccan View Post
Thanks Kerri, managed to get a rug I'd been looking at from Next marked down from 99 to 40

We finished building our wardrobe yesterday and today we've finally put all our clothes away and cleared all the boxes out of the spare room so our friend can stay tonight

Hope everyone is having a good Easter
Did you friend like your new place? xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo-polo1965 View Post
I am fine thanks Jemma! Been in hospital recently for an operation so have only been reading and lurking rather than posting.

Been really careful with money and have managed to save up so am hoping to pay some extra ff the credt card this month! Just need to do a few more sums!

Will post again when it is finalised!

Thanks everyone for your posts on here i love reading about you all, sorry for not posting very much!
Don't worry about not posting often, as long as your still debt busting and updating us on your totals then thats fab!!! xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpagBol View Post
Oh, and I spoke to our mortgage company today before speaking to our IFA next week as our fix is up soon. We can get a fixed rate 1% below our current mortgage to take our repayments down by almost 200pcm!!! We could do that for a couple of months to help with our snowballing or reduce the term by 6 years and have the same monthly payment. So either way...saving lots of money
Sounds like a lot of things are going right for you at the moment and you'll be under the 50k mark in no time at this rate!!! That will be a fantastic milestone for you to reach xxx

# 152
Mrs Addicted to Spending
Old 09-04-2012, 8:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hope you feel better soon Jake's Mum *hugs*

Kerri - re the slugs - the eco way is to pick them off the plants though they always seem to attack the plants when you are not there to see them doing it. You can also use salt which is not bad for the environment but not nice for the slugs - major understatement - but it depends how you feel about this. I'm not sure about any other eco ways.

Well done to everyone who has paid off some of their debts. I won't be until next pay day but will be on the case then.
Pay debt in 2012 #278 2347/5364
Sealed Pot 5 #1713 78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 79.49/100
Grocery Challenge:
Feb 359/360 Mar 390/450 Apr 335/320
May 330/320 Jun 455/400 Jul 321/320
Aug 399/370 Sep 345/300 Oct 421/400 Nov 0/320
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Addicted to Spending For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 153
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpurple View Post
Figured it was time for updated figures from me!

#256 3586.75/15,000

Only 11,413.25 to pay off by the end of the year and a fair bit more until i'm debt free!
That's a superb amount paid off hun, well done!!! just think of what your debt total could have been if you hadn't been working to pay it off. Give yourself a massive pat on the back xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucksfan View Post
Well we have decided to cut loose and spend the money we were given during the recent pet-sitting gig, on a one-night stay in a cabin on a campsite about 2 hrs east from us. Yes, we should be putting the $$$ towards the dreaded cc bill, but a couple of the children are in dire need of family-time...they have been getting a bit aggressive with their siblings and at school DH has really stepped up and said that he would do a bit of overtime so I can be at home more.
Sooo, the place we are visiting for our break sounds interesting. The Tourist Board says it has three claims to fame - the town was used as a location for Sylvester Stallone's movie 'Rambo-First Blood', there are lots and lots of chainsaw sculptures there AND it has more sightings of BigFoot than ANYWHERE! Can't wait to tell the children that we are going there tomorrow - they are gonna love it!!!
Happy Easter All xxx

OOoooooooh let us know if you see any bigfoots BIGFEET

Canucksfan#249-another $600 paid ..$11,300/17,418.95
You are doing so amazingly well. Only another 22.32 until you hit 65% paid off. When you started this challenge did you ever think you could pay off such a huge amount of money??? xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof3plusoh View Post
Happy Easter to all my friends on DFBX2012.

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU TOO!!!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mf0u1098 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 154
jakes-mum
Old 09-04-2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf0u1098 View Post

Are you sure it is the best option for you hun??? As much as I like where I work I 100% know that I am completely replaceable and there is no real loyalty on their part xxx
I havent been to work in 2 1/2 years now, and this way they have to pay me a years holiday pay and a weeks wages for each year ive been employed sounds really miserly on my part, but any money is better than no money. I know the chances of me returning are slim to none and I am holding on to a position that I cant fill in a time when alot of people are out of work
It does all come down to my boss though, he has to agree to the redundancy
SPC No 032 SPC(3) 285/250 (4) 519.84/500 (5) 768.32/500 (6) 911.30/600 (7) 59/600
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakes-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 155
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 8:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzight View Post
Thanks Kerri, that's the perfect supplement to my spreadsheet. Although it recommends I need to stop spending on food and drink for 11 days! Damn birthday meal.
oooh was it your birthday??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohspals View Post
I've done a snowball for the loan this morning - its a 10 year loan but we won't get punished for paying it off earlier so we are hoping to do it in 3 years - and if we keep up the payments as we have been doing it will be paid off in May 2014 Now I feel super competitive to beat the snowball and will chisel away at it a little at a time.
I know what you mean, my snowball says I'll be debt free in early 2013 but I'm determined for it to be by Xmas 2012. The snowball won't beat me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzight View Post
I've just finished filling in the MSE budget spreadsheet for the first time (My Statement of Affairs Calculator data lapsed) and have cross referenced the "desired spend"s with the EEBA app to give me monthly targets. My budget calculator results say I'm up 311 at the end of every month so if I can push my 2012 in 2012 target to 300 a month I will definitely be debt free by Christmas!
What a fantastic feeling knowing that you definitely will be debt free by Xmas 12.

# 156
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 8:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I havent been to work in 2 1/2 years now, and this way they have to pay me a years holiday pay and a weeks wages for each year ive been employed sounds really miserly on my part, but any money is better than no money. I know the chances of me returning are slim to none and I am holding on to a position that I cant fill in a time when alot of people are out of work
It does all come down to my boss though, he has to agree to the redundancy
Fair enough hun but only if you're sure it's right for you

How are you feeling now? xxx

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mf0u1098 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 157
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 9:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well I had a really fun day today, it was too wet to try and get that bl00dy stump out so I took my grandma to get some seed potatos and more compost. We also went to P0undland and got some fabulous containers to make a 3 tiered strawberry planter all for 3! I've spent all day potting lettuce, cabbages, onions etc. It was raining too hard to plant my potatoes and plus I've ran out of compost so will need to get some more tomorrow. You're right Kerri, it's really enjoyable growing your own food! xxx

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mf0u1098 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 158
jakes-mum
Old 09-04-2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf0u1098 View Post
Fair enough hun but only if you're sure it's right for you

How are you feeling now? xxx
I had a long talk with the HR dept who were very very careful that I understood it was my decision and they didnt want me to feel pressurised in any way, and then with DH who pointed out that I have alot of trouble with guilt and to keep holding on to a job I am unlikely to return too is not helping me. Im sure that this is the right option, plus should anything change, im able to apply back for my job if I want too

Throat is still sore, am about to take some more pain killers, DH is giving me funny looks as im trying desperately to sing along to Grease with my scratchy voice

As a side note . . are you SURE its 280 days till your debt free
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakes-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 159
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 9:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa View Post
Member #328 436/14185 (3.07%)
You're doing great Oompa Loompa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEZ View Post
Afternoon everyone. Hope you're all having a great Easter

Another 100 payment for me please Jemma

#191 1600/4000
Hurray for another 100 FREEZ!!! That's 40% done !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharronej View Post
I haven't worked out the full financial hit on the weekend yet but it won't be cheap! Managed to buy a beautiful material for covering my dining chairs to protect them from spills, thought it was going to be forty pounds but it was only twenty plus we're going picking a Dining Table and chairs up for our daughter's new house today, the set was originally 500 but we've found one on Gumtree for 150 - still more than we hoped but spent all day looking for something cheaper which turned from a four to an eight seater, It's perfect where space is limited but you can open it out if you have guests. We've still a washing machine and a bed base to buy but due to the overspend on the table she won'tbe having lots of little extras like matching bedding lol. I didn't sleep well again last night so I'm hoping for a relaxing day pottering, a movie day would be ideal lol. Don't know if I mentioned it but we had an emergen y trip to the vets on Fridaywith our very old cat (she's 19) she had Cystitis the poor thing anyway that was an unexpected 40 spend to start the weekend!

Have a lovely day everyone, well done to Kerri and Gemma and I'll have a look at that app, I use old fashioned pen and paper at the moment but I might bring myself up to the 21st century.
I'm really impressed with how you're making sure you 1) got the table at the right price and 2) made sure it did the job correctly! I bet your daughter loved the dining set xxx

# 160
mf0u1098
Old 09-04-2012, 9:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I had a long talk with the HR dept who were very very careful that I understood it was my decision and they didnt want me to feel pressurised in any way, and then with DH who pointed out that I have alot of trouble with guilt and to keep holding on to a job I am unlikely to return too is not helping me. Im sure that this is the right option, plus should anything change, im able to apply back for my job if I want too

Throat is still sore, am about to take some more pain killers, DH is giving me funny looks as im trying desperately to sing along to Grease with my scratchy voice

As a side note . . are you SURE its 280 days till your debt free
Well I'm glad you think it's the right thing for you to do, that makes me happy with your decision.

It might be 280 days given how much I've spent on plants recently!!!

Closed Thread