Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Gone Off! > I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards chall... (Page 155)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge
Closed Thread
Views: 611,771
# 3081
Edwardia
Old 17-03-2012, 9:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

VfM4meplse, peeling 4kg of carrots you deserve a medal ! Hope you used a swivel peeler or wore gloves, thinking of the blisters you could have gotten !

Boiled FR eggs for breakfast, lunch was a Waitrose Delicatezze asparagus frittata, really low carb. Both OH and moi liked so I'm looking for frittata recipes now.

OH just handed me some clotted cream ice cream mmm.. two ice cream scoops = 11g carbs and it's Kellys, 2 x 1 LTR tubs for 5 at Waitrose right now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Edwardia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3082
VfM4meplse
Old 17-03-2012, 9:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardia View Post
OH just handed me some clotted cream ice cream mmm
Yum. Waaitrose used to do the most own-brand delicious clotted crean and strawberry ice-cream but I haven't seen iit for years! It was very sweet, very creamy and very dreamy .

ETA: just seen it on MySupermarket for 2.49/L, now with a cow on the pacakging. All is well .
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!

Last edited by VfM4meplse; 17-03-2012 at 9:20 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3083
Edwardia
Old 17-03-2012, 10:12 PM

I don't have room in my (small) chest freezer until Easter when the duck, lobsters and bits of fish/seafood I've been accumulating for soupe de poissons, are removed. But I will look out for that, thanks !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Edwardia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3084
brighteyes1987
Old 18-03-2012, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Good Morning,

Happy Mothers Day!!! DD burst in my room at 6.30am shoving cards & presents in my face lol, even a balloon How on earth she hid a balloon without me knowing I have no idea lol

Kirri I did indeed resist the muffins, they are now looking pretty on a stand with a bow waiting for mum who's coming over for lunch

Breakfast was last of the rice krispies (yay another box gone) dd had other cereal
Lunch will be a chicken dinner with swede, carrots, savoy cabbage, roasties, stuffing & yorkshires
Chicken is roasting as I type, it smells great
Dinner will prob be a boiled egg for dd, I doubt I'll have anything after lunch maybe a slice of toast this evening

Another great haul Lyndsey!!

Have a lovely day all if you're a mum or not

BE x
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brighteyes1987 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3085
lyra
Old 18-03-2012, 12:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=VfM4meplse;51863341]

Spent the afternoon making a load of goodies including gajrela (http://desirecipes.wordpress.com/200...wa-or-gajrela/) /QUOTE]
That looks amazing What sort of quantities does it make please? Would love to do it for my parents

NSD yesterday or today. Round at my mum & dad's for mothers day. My brother's cooking roast pork, with apple cake to follow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyra For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3086
tracey12
Old 18-03-2012, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
Thanks Lynsey, it's been a difficult week, I just feel I am being totally ripped off, I am paying almost as much as a relative who has been driving for 1 year!!! Anyway not much I can do about it.. Just hope it goes through the MOT but with my luck probably not!!
I know the feeling Kirri, I have been driving for 18 years with no accidents or points (touch wood) and feel I am being ripped off. When I first passed my test I had my own insurance for years. I left work on maternity leave and my ex-husband and I only had one car then so I was a named driver on his insurance. When I left him and got my own car I took out my own insurance and they charged me as if I was a first time driver as I had lost my own no claims bonus. I was well miffed

Tracey
Officially debt free
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tracey12 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3087
Edwardia
Old 18-03-2012, 3:23 PM

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on MSE.

Had annual sight test done this morning, chose new glasses and prescription sunglasses this time - got to go back to get contact lenses sorted tho.

Suggested pub lunch to OH and thankfully we missed the Mumday rush. Wiltshire ham, fried free range eggs and salad watching Aussie GP.

OH gone to Sainsbo's to pick up dinner and DVD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edwardia For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3088
VfM4meplse
Old 18-03-2012, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra View Post
what sort of quantities does it make please? Would love to do it for my parents
4kg of carrots reduced down sufficiently to fill a 2L pyrex container, so quite a lot . It took about 90 mins to reduce down, with constant stirring, but I have found a microwave recipe that will save you loads of time: http://showmethecurry.com/desserts/c...-ka-halwa.html

That amount does last a long time as you only eat a small amount at a time, alternatively you can freeze it. I would suggest reducing the grated carrots until they are really red, and then adding sugar to taste as carrots are naturally sweet anyway. I tend to add a lot less sugar but my parents compensate by warming it and then dousing it with double cream; I prefer it warm with vanilla Carte D'Or.

Had a marathon cook-in today! Made a load of food today so my parents won't have to do much when they get back, and got the deep fryer out for the first time in years! Made piles and piles of broccoli and baby spinach pakoras using some chickpea flour that had been hiding at the back of cupboard for years! Unfortunately my falafel (which I had intended to make in bulk and freeze) were a disaster - I think the mixture was too loose despite following the recipe - which meant that they started to break up in the oil . I fried about a quarter of the mixture before deciding to give up on them - mixed the cooked ones back into the uncooked mixture, piled it into a loaf tin and baked to create a chick-pea loaf. I think I'll freeze it in individual slices and eat with salad as and when.

Then cleaned the house throughly including mopping and polishing the floors which I hate . Knackered but chilling now .

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3089
Sofiaki
Old 18-03-2012, 4:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Kirri - reporting back on the Almond biscuit recipe before it slips my mind. Absolutely lovely. However, for some reason they didn't spread ... Would you have any idea why? I'll be using the recipe again for sure.

Now pondering about using frozen spinach to make a quiche ... perhaps with mozarella ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sofiaki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3090
VfM4meplse
Old 18-03-2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiaki View Post
Now pondering about using frozen spinach to make a quiche ... perhaps with mozarella ?
Sounds lovely but I would probably use a mixture of a creamy / soft cheese, and something blue and veiny for a strong flavour. Oh yes I would also recommend squeezing the spinach after you've defrosted it otherwise you'll end up with a soggy bottom!

Hope it turns out well.

# 3091
Lynsey
Old 18-03-2012, 7:12 PM

Evening.
Busy day painting and cleaning and popped into John Lewis to pick up MY Mothers Days present..............a Polti steam cleaner. lol

On the way home I popped into Asda and bought a cooked large chicken for 2.15 for an easy tea..............good job they had something decent to eat as I couldn't have been bothered to make anything tonight!!
Strangely they were actually giving all the reduced bread etc. away for free, yes free. For every two packs you took they gave a smiley coupon thing to hand in (never seen that before).
I got 3 packs of hot cross buns, 2 x paves and a pack of crusty rolls.
Bought some bread flour and some crumble topping for those apples.
Celery also for 10p and some reduced milk sachets, handy for holiday and expiry date mid April.
3.75 spent and gave some bread and hot cross buns away, had some crusty rolls with chicken and not freezing, so birds will have hot cross buns tomorrow for breakfast. lol
Chicken breast still there for tomorrow.

Lynsey
**** Sealed Pot Challenge 2014 (No. 7) - Member #96 - Target 1000 (2 - 354.00, 1 - 541.00, 50p - 50.00, 20p - 40.00 - Total 985.00 (890 of it banked)) ****
(x13)
No. 6 Total 740.00
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynsey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3092
VfM4meplse
Old 18-03-2012, 7:14 PM

Another good day bargain-hunting then!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3093
Lynsey
Old 18-03-2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
Another good day bargain-hunting then!
I wasn't even "bargain hunting", just hoping there was something nice and quick for an easy tea..........chicken came to rescue!!
It was weird, the staff were chasing customers around the store asking them if they wanted free bread and handing out smiley coupons...........the looks on the customers face were amazing and quite a few just froze and rejected the offer..........poor birds would have appreciated the food though.

This was in the new Byker Asda on the way back from Newcastle town centre and the same place I got loads of sausages after Xmas fo 15p per pack. I wish this was my local Asda. lol
The locals there must have a "field day" and good luck to them!!

Lynsey
**** Sealed Pot Challenge 2014 (No. 7) - Member #96 - Target 1000 (2 - 354.00, 1 - 541.00, 50p - 50.00, 20p - 40.00 - Total 985.00 (890 of it banked)) ****
(x13)
No. 6 Total 740.00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynsey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3094
ms_night_ryder
Old 18-03-2012, 7:29 PM

got a pork loin joint whoopsied today 11.87 down to 2.83, it wasnt in the whoopsie section looks like it was abandoned, no whoopsies left although i did see people in store with loads of whoopsies in their trolleys, so wil go earlier next time, still figuring out whoopsie times lol.

did a little shopping, im not cooing, gonna steam some rice and veg enough for a few meals, have loads of food from my grandmas party last night, beef, pork, fried chicken and curry, i did forget my mac and cheese, bit gutted but ah well.

need to take some milk out the freezer for this weeks porridge

my meat drawer was half empty, the racks of ribs came out and 1 pack of my aunt bessies 50p roasties, so the joint will go in, forgot i took sme salmon out, will bung it in the steamer as well, so will have a variety of lunches this week, if i run out i will take out the cooked chilli mince and use that up, off to put rice in the steamer.
Lose 28lb 3/28lb
SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ms_night_ryder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3095
Lynsey
Old 18-03-2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_night_ryder View Post
off to put rice in the steamer.
Does this work better in a steamer??
never tried it as yet, may try my Tefal steamer next time.

Well done on your pork bargain...................and yes, get those "whoopsies" times sorted.

Lynsey
(x13)
No. 6 Total 740.00
# 3096
ms_night_ryder
Old 18-03-2012, 8:04 PM

Lynsey i will faithfully promise to stalk mr s on a sunday until i know the time better than the staff lol

i really love my steamer! i only cook rice in there now, as there is no standing over it, no stuck to the bottom bits, just generally leave it and go, infact yesterday my cousin asked me to cook rice and i was quite taken back lol, didnt want to cook it but i did.

i got it in the last currys voucher thing, so paid 1.99 for it, best thing ive got apart from my slow cooker lol, its practically all i use now, apart from when im making a pasta dish.

those birds must love your garden, its like a regular feast lol.
Lose 28lb 3/28lb
SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ms_night_ryder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3097
Sofiaki
Old 18-03-2012, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
Sounds lovely but I would probably use a mixture of a creamy / soft cheese, and something blue and veiny for a strong flavour. Oh yes I would also recommend squeezing the spinach after you've defrosted it otherwise you'll end up with a soggy bottom!

Hope it turns out well.
Thanks VfM4meplse. I haven't made it yet. Problem is the only other cheese I have in the fridge is parmigganio (sp?), so I was trying to be sensible. Couldn't be bothered in the end and had a tin of soup instead. I'll make sure I don't get a soggy bottom lol. I think I have some frozen cheddar left in the freezer somewhere.

Wow Lynsey, I reckon you're the queen of the offers. Freebies! Taste even better eh?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sofiaki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3098
Sofiaki
Old 18-03-2012, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I remember trying to give away a free cinema ticket in the queue. It was ending that day and I wouldn't use it, so figured someone may as well benefit. I asked about 5 people. I then talked an old lady into it but she tried to give me money. I told her to buy her granddaughter an ice cream with the money she'd saved on the ticket and have a nice day. It was like pulling teeth!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sofiaki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3099
quintwins
Old 18-03-2012, 8:20 PM

havent been on much, but all i bought all week was 2 litres of milk and a loaf of bread (all my whoopsie bread is gone )

moves going ahead so i need to use things up now as my freezer can't come i will be down to a wee fridge freezer, i did it before i can do it again we will be moving to an old family building instead of a mobile now, it's already converted and another family member lived for awhile.

just making quiche with the past there best eggs and ham for tomorrows lunch, chicken casarole for tea tomorrow
Saving for a house 9407 (+6550 owed from friend and 3500 owed from inlaws) Total 19,257

Save 1300 in October 0/1300
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to quintwins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3100
Lynsey
Old 18-03-2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiaki View Post
I remember trying to give away a free cinema ticket in the queue..........

...................It was like pulling teeth!!!
Exactly!!
There were lots of "speciality" breads available like fruit pave and spelt and honey pave which sell full price at 1.67, so over 3 worth of bread for free with every 2 taken and they still struggled to get rid of it!!
Just had a bit of spelt and honey pave and you really can taste the honey, pretty nice.............................and something I would actually buy........................well reduced to 10p anyway.

Just mentioned on the Lidl thread that the Lidl Deluxe Butter Fudge is very, very nice and only 1.25 for 150g.

Lynsey
(x13)
No. 6 Total 740.00

Last edited by Lynsey; 18-03-2012 at 8:39 PM.
Closed Thread