Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,866
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sucumbed to 2 x 2l milk (special offer) as worried milk wouldnt last till saturday. I was right to worry! But it meant my nsd didnt happen so strongly suspect wont make 8 this month as lidl tomoz, edinburgh sunday then friend coming sunday till friday. Still hopeful for gc challenge.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • linz4383 wrote: »
    thankyou :) ill have another look in the recipe collection see if i can see them! i couldnt when i look earlier :)

Sorry this is so late but I have only just got back online.

Peanut Butter Cookies.

Preheat oven to 180degC. Put parchment on a baking tray. Mix together 6oz of caster sugar and 7oz peanut butter (I buy SM value range.) Add an egg and a tsp bicarb soda. Roll balls of mixture in the palm of your hand and flatten. Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins.

Gingerbread Biscuits.

Preheat oven to 190degC and put parchment on a baking tray. Sift 350g GF plain flour (I use Doves) into a bowl. Add 2tsp ginger and a tsp of bicarb. Put in 100g butter (for DF use something like Pure) and rub it in till it looks like breadcrumbs. Add 100g of dark brown sugar and 75g of caster sugar, 1 egg and 4tbsp honey. Mix it to a soft dough. If it is to wet then add some more flour, if to dry add a few drops of water. Knead dough on a floured surface, until smooth. Roll into balls in the palm of your hand and flatten. Bake for 10-15 mins until lightly brown.

Plain Biscuits.

Mix together 150g of GF flour, 100g ground almonds, 1 1/2 tsp GF baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarb. In another bowl cream together 85g butter (for DF use something like Pure) and 200g caster sugar. Add an egg and 1tsp vanilla extract.. Gently add the flour to the other mixture untill you have a stiff dough, add more flour if needs be. Divide in two and wrap in clingfilm and chill for two hours.

Preheat oven to 190 degC. Roll out dough on a floured surcae and cut out shapes using cutters and place on an ungreased baking tray. Leave plenty of space between them. If dough gets to soft bung in the freezer to firm up for a while. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.

I think these were from the Gluten Free Cookbook for kids. I do the PB cookies a lot for school things.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Its the last shop of the month for me this weekend and after writing a list I ripped it up again as I realised I was just buying what I always buy not what I actually need.
    I'm aiming for £10 for the week this time - the freezer is full and I only need some fresh bits (mostly fruit) and cheese and some breakfast bars for work.

I'm going to try for £100 for March - its 4 shops for me and £25 a week. Its doable if I try hard!

I do the same as you - always buying the same stuff, even if I have it in already. TBH, I think that's half the reason why my house is so full of food! It's amazing how much your budget is impacted when you stop doing that. I'm spending less than half of what I was spending on a week's worth of food now.
    PennyGrabber, what is a nobbly bobbly and what is the te$co dtd thread please?!

I can't remember spending anything today so that must mean a NSD - I'm pretty sure...

A nobbly bobbly is an icecream, kind of like a fab, but much nicer! The tesco dtd thread is where they talk about ways to con mr T out of some money, basically! They offer double the difference on some overpriced stuff. The link is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3806387

Just done my weekly shop, and spend the grand total of £22.29. Will put it into march's budget, and just have an extra-long march month, as I can't be doing with working it all out now. That therefore means I'm declaring Feb as £103.11/£100, and setting my March budget as £120. I don't really need to be on the front page list either, anything to save you some work. I'll keep updating in my sig, and in my dfd. Thanks to all who contribute here, and keep us all on the straight and narrow!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Lovethenight
    Lovethenight Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 1:18AM
    PennyGrabber, what is a nobbly bobbly and what is the te$co dtd thread please?!.

Ah- I haven't had a nobbly bobbly in years!! :rotfl:They are a lovely kind of ice lolly with ice cream, chocolate and covered in round 'hundreds and thousands' !!! (Sorry PennyGrabber - you can probably explain it a lot better!!:)

(edited-you just beat me to it ha ha!!. )
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Small spend for me tonight £3.80. Got an apple juice, chicken dinner for one meal, flapjacks and a big tub of m & $ crispy bars for uncles birthday visit.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Lisakay, Honestly, sometimes it feels like :wall: But make sure you give yourself the credit for your achievement :A, then hide his credit cards! :rotfl::rotfl:

Am off to !id! this morning for the weekend offers, won't be able to get there til around 10.30 due to bloomin' dd's judo class. DH is working an extra day so we can pay a bit more off the dreaded cc so I will buy him a bottle of beer too! Just the one mind :D
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • My Mr S order arrived tonight! All lovely with no substitutions until I noticed they'd not taken off my £10 first time customer voucher! Told the driver but have also emailed. Am hoping that'll get me an extra voucher?? ;-)

They did that with me too (few months ago now) - I phoned & was offered a voucher or a refund (took the refund as not sure when I'd be getting another shop from them).

Must say, I may do another when stocks run down in a couple of months - I was really impressed with their basic range :)
    Sue14 wrote: »
    Some people want the moon on a stick, lol! There's someone on our freecycle who is always asking for games consoles and games (mostly ps3/wii), and has also asked for iphone and blackberry phones and a laptop, only things she offers are things like vouchers she's got out of the newspaper!

Ours is the same *sigh* - it's the ones wanting things like WM or fridge/freezers but then say "must be silver" etc:mad: when mine broke I'd have happily had anything as long as it worked!
    Even more reason to be shocked that the pet food cost more than the whole chicken!!

Yup, and it's full of "horrible" stuff - I batch cooked Ben's meals and froze in portions - usually either turkey or beef mince or chicken pieces with veg. It worked out a lot cheaper and I'm sure was so much better for him.

Well, had a major bargain find last night :) popped into Co*op on the way home and found a huge bit of beef which had been £12.80 reduced to £2 :j:j Did my 1st ever beef roast last night :o (usually too expensive for me & seems a lot when it's just me IYKWIM) and it was lovely:).

Have loads left so not quite sure what I'll be doing with it ...... any suggestions welcomed - at a push, I guess I'll try to slice (wishing I was nearer DM so I could pop round & use here fantastic meat slicer) and freeze in portions.

Haven't updated sig yet - will do so after I've been to Mr T to use the vouchers ... could be tomorrow as need to have a shuffle in the freezers to see what I can get in.

I was thinking about not using them, however, the big "R" has I think unfortunately moved a step closer this week :eek: so think I will stick to my "stocking up plan" so I don't need to worry about food/toiletries if it does happen.....

Fingers crossed it doesn't but either way the budget will balance out over the next few months as I'll not need to buy as much.:)

Trying to pluck up the courage to visit the local dog shelter today .... I've been looking at Gum*tree etc but no joy as yet and really feel for the poor dogs in the shelters and would love to help one so need to "get over" my fear of going. Wish me luck!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...happy saturday...im off to sort out a nice gift for dh birthday...not sure what and i need to plan a nice cake...also off to lidl to get some meat for the packups and have a look at the bargains

got a chciken roasted for tea and then plan to make a pie for lunch tomorrow...i got a huge bowl of cherry toms for a quid off the market yesterday...thought id roast them and turn in to a tom sauce...oh and have some with a salad

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Morning - my day is tied to the computer - finish off an essay for my course (due in mid march), listing on ebay for free listing weekend and finishing off some accounts for a local club. Inbetween I have treats such as a vist to the Post office to post some ebay items to look forward to - my life is just one big party!

Aiming for another small spend today - just need some fresh fruit and veg and a small tin of evaporated milk for a chocolate fudge cake.

Its a gorgeous morning here - hope that its the same with you all -you feel so much better when its like this!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    Peanut Butter Cookies.

Preheat oven to 180degC. Put parchment on a baking tray. Mix together 6oz of caster sugar and 7oz peanut butter (I buy SM value range.) Add an egg and a tsp bicarb soda. Roll balls of mixture in the palm of your hand and flatten. Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins.

I've had a lonely egg loitering in the fridge for a while with use by date of yesterday (!), and 3/4 jar peanut butter from a recipe a while ago in the cupboard.

So have just made your cookies tigerfeet, and they are YUMMY! Thank you so much for the recipe! :j For anyone on WW, I used crunchy peanut butter, and they work out 5 ProPoints each, or 9 for two.

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport