January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hiya can i up my budget to £56.25 as i am also doing a yearly budget of £675 this is what it is monthly, with the extra being for cost co items or any bulk items or glitches lol

Went shopping in sainsburys needed oil, chilli powder and washing up pads, also got paprika, deli coleslaw and grated cheese reduced, also whoopsies of a family chicken pie for 89p and some frying steak £1.89, was gonna make a pie, so did need it, but it was grey inside the steaks, its rump, dont know if it is supposed to be like that, but i used only the red pieces, cut themand froze them, also got a bag of crisps and a drink £8.77 on that, then went to tesco, after i went to the nail shop, it was nearly closing, got 2 packs of sausages fo 10p each and some juice £1.30 there
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well I had a go at my first meal planner today for the month, enjoyed making it as I love spreadsheets :rotfl:

From it I made a list of all the things I had in stock and what I needed for the month :eek: I then added prices, double :eek::eek:

Well worth it, if only to tell me I spend way too much on certain things .........................PG T*ps £17 (4x 160 box) :eek::eek::eek::eek: I know, shocked the living daylights out of me and OH. He is now accommodating (not sure how long it will last)

So I have a plan, I know it will take a few weeks of buying special offers to get into the swing but it will be worth it :j
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • OH went to shop today...had to buy bin sacks as kids had a clear out last week (news to me!!) and used all the spares without letting me know.....:mad:

anyhoo....1 pk bin sacks, 5 cartons soy milk, 1 light bulb, 1 pk sugar, 1 roll cling film, 1 pk kitchen roll, five ENORMOUS leeks (obtained from farm shop down the road at 15p each) and half a dozen eggs (also from farm shop 65p) later and I am £13.86 lighter.....:eek:

Not impressed, but hey, what can you do??!!! :rotfl:
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,869
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OH went to shop today...had to buy bin sacks as kids had a clear out last week (news to me!!) and used all the spares without letting me know.....:mad:

anyhoo....1 pk bin sacks, 5 cartons soy milk, 1 light bulb, 1 pk sugar, 1 roll cling film, 1 pk kitchen roll, five ENORMOUS leeks (obtained from farm shop down the road at 15p each) and half a dozen eggs (also from farm shop 65p) later and I am £13.86 lighter.....:eek:

Not impressed, but hey, what can you do??!!! :rotfl:

Know just what you mean, my OH is constantly telling me "it's only.................." I try to make sure my OH has as little contact as he can with any shops at all, he only goes to the petrol station once a week now but still manages to spend an average of £7 on top of any fuel he gets :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sometimes I could just hit him :D
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,856
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ....hoping you're all too busy celebrating to notice that I have another spend on my siggy.

So, I've updated my siggy with anticipated NSDs and No Car Use days for January, and the ONLY way I can possibly come in on budget now is to make sure I only spend £10 a week for the next 4 Fridays, and don't spend a penny any other day.

Hi LavenderBees. I love the idea of keeping track on days where I don't use the car :T- think I will follow your example and put this in my sig too. Best of luck with your Jan budget.
    Allie
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Please put me in for jan for £400.

I'm currently on maternity leave and whilst money isn't brilliant at the moment, when I return to work and 80% of my wage will disappear on childcare (with no hope of CTC / WTC) we're cutting back on lots of areas and our grocery budget is an obvious choice.

Cat.xx
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2011 at 10:36PM
    Just updated signature with a small spend at the Co Op of a banoffee dessert for tomorrow & some satsumas. Gosh they are expensive there compared to Aldi or the market where I normally get them from. have also asked OH to get some cream & some g/f cereal on his travels. Bit cross as I just tried to make some gluten free shortbread simply by substituting normal flour for g/f plain & rice flour (50/50) and it has turned out rubbish. That was a snack to take to a party tonight for DS. I also defrosted some h/m stock yesterday by leaving it out all day & have turned it into soup today. However it wasn't until today that I realised it had bits of left over turkey in it so now not sure how safe it will be to eat. Sometimes I get a bit fed up when I try to do things & they often go wrong!

Anyway, happy new year to you all. Oh, OH is now back so I shall update signature again with another £2.79!

When you use a normal recipe and try to change it to GF then you tend to have to add some extra liquid to make it work as the flours are so different. I make a fantastic Peanut Butter biscuit, recipe in the index at the front.

Also a GF Ginger Biscuit which is
    350g gf plain flour
    2tsp ginger
    1tsp bicarb soda
    100g cold butter diced
    100g dark brown sugar
    75g caster sugar
    1 egg
    4tbsp honey

Preheat oven to 190degC or Gas 5. Lightly grease baking sheet.

Sift flour into a large bowl. Add ginger and bicarb. Rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add sugars, egg and honey and mix to make a dough. If dough is to wet add a little more flour, if to dry add some water.

Knead dough until smooth, on a floured surface. Roll it out to about 5mm thick.

Cut the biscuits out with cookie cutters amd put on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 12 mins ontil lightly brown. Leave to cool slightly before putting them on a wire rack.

Store in a tupperware container for 2-3 days. These freeze well but are never around long enough to get in there, they are loved by the GF and GF people alike.

I also do a iced sugar cookies which the kids like if you want the recipe.

I wouldn't worry to much about the turkey being in the soup mix, if you have heated it up well then it should be fine. I often leave a chicken out for a couple of hours to finish defrosting as it seems to take forever in my fridge.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2011 at 10:52PM
    allie23 wrote: »
    Hi LavenderBees. I love the idea of keeping track on days where I don't use the car :T- think I will follow your example and put this in my sig too. Best of luck with your Jan budget.
    Allie

Thanks Allie. I don't know if other MSER's do this, but it can help focus the mind on another money saving method.

What I do is go through the calendar and try to see which days in the month can be no car days, and that is the total I aim for. I have no/very little public transport so it's only feasible some days (e.g. weekends). Last year I was able to car share with some people from work sometimes. I'm hoping we can manage that again at times. Even once a week makes a big difference on a 40 mile round trip.

I find it far easier to stop myself using the car than i do stopping myself buying food....obviously :D:(
  • hi all,
    happy new year :beer:
    hopefully your a friendly bunch :D
    sooo i really need to stop wasting food and cut the food bill down, i havnt really got a clue how much i currently spend on the shopping, id guess over £350
    i am going to start using up what we have in the freezer and in the cuboards

i am going to say i would love to keep below £200. From january 1st to the 31st,i am going to keep all my reciepts but am not going to limit myself when i do go in the shops, just monitor what i spend silly money on this month to give me a true idea of the budget

hopefully in february i will be able to post a proper budget to try to stick to :j

sorry if ive rambled.........:o i need to ramble for motivation :)
    need to pay my dad back challenge[STRIKE]£3000: £2950: £2750: £2640:£2560:£1560[/STRIKE]:D £0.00:D

I AM A MEMBER OF THE ELITE....STRIP CLUB MEMBER 22
  • Happy new year everyone. May this year bring us tighter purse strings, healthier meals and happier families.

PG xx
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport