Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MSE Martin
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
    • 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged 30th Jan 05 at 11:58 PM
    Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to 1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

MSE UPDATE OCT 2013: Many paid-to-enter competitions now cost more to enter. We've asked Competitions Board users the limit they feel is appropriate in this poll and have increased the maximum cost to 2.10. Please remember we don't encourage forum users to spend money on competitions but if you still feel you absolutely must enter these competitions then that's fine.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-10-2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 11
  • toyday
    Definitely a problem for companies but if they are obtaining your details in the process then that might be the most valuable thing so it would not matter how you joined the competition (either through this site or their official competition site)
  • Taloolah
    Or maybe the companies want to increase website traffic by running the competition . So if all the details are posted on here entrants won't need to visit the site and so they wont get the increased traffic they are looking for. I often post comps with email address but put the link to the website for entrants to see all the info and T&Cs actually on the site.
    Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 25th Nov 10, 4:34 PM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 37,079 Thanks
    Glad
    Hi everyone

We've had some problems with companies complaining about people copying and pasting text including email addresses and answers wholesale into threads on this board.

As well as potentially breaching copyright, if you do it too often companies may be put off doing comps in the first place.

So we just wanted to remind you, if you're posting a competition, please just post the link to the competition, explaining in your own words what the prize is and let the website you've linked to do the talking.

By doing this you'll help us keep the comps board open and the poor forum team saved from potential company wrath

Thanks everyone

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    the discussion relating to this post can be read HERE
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
  • HopefulB
    Prize scams
    A friend of ours, who has had two brain operations, lost a load of money. He sent off several amounts in order to claim his "winnings". He wanted to surprise his wife by presenting her with thousands of pounds, but ended up hugely out of pocket.
    The sad part is that he is still convinced that she has stopped him from claiming his win, by stopping him from sending any more cash.
  • pkc
    doesn't include new scientist does it LOL
  • niknaknoo1982
    doesn't include new scientist does it LOL
    Originally posted by pkc
    haha that's what made me click on here
    If google doesn't know it, how should i?
    • Glad
    • By Glad 11th Jan 11, 12:03 AM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 37,079 Thanks
    Glad
    Regulars board - ANOTHER dailies sticky thread change
    Hi all

the dailies sticky thread has been taken over by bargainhuntergal
    can you please send links to new daily comps to her by pm or add them to the thread here
    many thanks to gilla for all her hard work in the past
    and good luck to bhg
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• Glad
    • By Glad 23rd Jan 11, 7:49 PM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 37,079 Thanks
    Glad
    purplecatlover has now taken over the dailies sticky
    new thread HERE

many thanks to bhg for all her hard work

• Former MSE Forum Manager
    • By Former MSE Forum Manager 16th Aug 11, 3:53 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    Former MSE Forum Manager
    Posting Comps for Companies
    Hi Folks

It has come to our attention that some companies are attempting to sidestep our Forum Rules on vested interest posting by agreeing certain members post competitions on their behalf. Let's be clear, we absolutely will not tolerate this, and if we find out this is still happening we have the option of banning not only the company from our forum, but also the user account in question.

Please don't do it.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 24th Aug 11, 10:35 AM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 17,594 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Links in our filter
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder, please, not to try posting links that are in our filter (and show as exclamation marks when posted).

More often than not the reason they're in there is because they've been spammed on the forum and you yourselves have reported them to us in the first place.

They may also be in there because the company in question is a legitimate one that hasn't spammed but has asked that we stop people posting their competitions on here but, whatever the reason, it's because the links shouldn't be posted.

Thank you!

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • fnc63
    well could you share the filter list with us please ?

just so we know why we 'perhaps' shouldnt be attempting to go any futher in finding the comp via another route when we see a prize on here we want to win and yet it is all exclamationed out

if it is a company that doesnt want us posting then, thats fine and if we knew that we wouldnt try posting again

if its a company that as you say has been deemed spammy 'by us' reporting it, then more detail is necessary really, how many spam button hits does it take for a company to make it onto the exclamation list and when were they added ?, maybe if its so long ago they could be reviewed and cleared, maybe a group of 10 friends saw a comp on here to win a gold rolex in 2008 and thought ooh we dont want half a thousand other mser's mucking up our chances, i know lets all push the spam button and get it removed and then its gone forever and 4 years down the line that lil group has broke up and yet we still cant enjoy the comps that the promoter is running these days

you know the old saying - forewarned is forearmed - so pls at least just give us this information so we can decide for ourselves whether we want to pursue the comp any further

ps - there is one im really interested in - love offers - whats wrong with that eh ??

i cant believe they dont want their comps on here as they have no problem with the other dennis media ones being here and i cant believe we the user has classed it as spammy, well not for a long time, otherwise why would the love offer posts attract so many hundreds of thanks ?

2014 WTD ~ CH10OC50CW55PC10AB25BA120SB15OC30BC160BV105OC30CT2 0GC10GB100

Apparently everything has a happy ending and if you havent arrived at the happiness, it hasnt ended yet

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 11, 2:38 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 17,594 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    A reminder about Vote for me Comps
    Afternoon everyone

Thanks to all the people who've been pointing other forumites in the right direction for this.

Just a reminder and for anyone who doesn't know, if you really have to post a Vote for Me competition it shouldn't be anywhere except the specific thread on the Referrers Board here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=635355

Thanks again to the regulars for showing them the way and to Glad for moving them over.

Join the MSE Forum
    • Dalkirst
    • By Dalkirst 12th Sep 11, 3:49 PM
    • 8,520 Posts
    • 313,512 Thanks
    Dalkirst
    Afternoon everyone

Thanks to all the people who've been pointing other forumites in the right direction for this.

Just a reminder and for anyone who doesn't know, if you really have to post a Vote for Me competition it shouldn't be anywhere except the specific thread on the Referrers Board here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=635355

Thanks again to the regulars for showing them the way and to Glad for moving them over.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    I've moved loads over Andrea.
    Darren

Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the Competitions and the Telephones and the Student Money Saving boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and change posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot a contentious e or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with this. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    Rules, How To Search and Duplicate Threads
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 11, 8:02 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 17,594 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Sorry Dalkirst, you all do a great job, I know you do.

Someone had asked me if it was possible to remind people because they'd been sending Glad a lot of these links lately and didn't want her to be overloaded, which is why I mentioned Glad but I know you all do loads and I should have said the board guides, not just Glad.

Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Dec 11, 2:28 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 17,594 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Could comps board regulars remind themselves of this note please?

If a company asks you to post on the Forum on its behalf can you be vigilant and remind them of this news story?

Thank you!

Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Apr 12, 12:08 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 17,594 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    The great MSE comping community
    Hi everyone

As you all know, the Comps board is a great place for you to link to competitions you've seen, to let others know and hopefully win big.

We love it when we hear of our own site users winning so we'd be really disappointed if this great MSE comping community was, in any way, stepping outside the rules and especially using AEs to do so.

Whatever people are doing on other sites is up to those sites to sort out. If you have concerns about cheating you need to raise it with the company in question, not on our forum.

We are purely a conduit for competitions. We don't have the resource to investigate accusations we're unable to control and dont want to see accusation threads on here as it's disruptive for the board.

Please help us with this.

Thanks,

MSE Forum Team

Join the MSE Forum
  • messia07
    what are AE's?
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 13th Apr 12, 12:24 PM
    • 27,035 Posts
    • 4,577,015 Thanks
    One-Eye
    From the acronym dictionary it means AMMUNITION and EXPLOSIVES.

I hope MSE'ers aren't using these to enter comps, but it is nothing to do with MSE if we use them on other sites
  • hannibal1970
    auto entry ??
    32 worth of prizes in 2015 so far
  • twotimes
    what are AE's?
    Originally posted by messia07

Alter-egos
    I assume. i.e. entering in lots of different names and creating fake social networking profiles etc. Sadly it does actually happen.
    Please do not steal competitions or answers posted on MSE and post them on your own website or other competition websites. Thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin