Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • jamesd
    • 2nd Nov 11, 3:36 AM
    • 2nd Nov 11, 3:36 AM
    It is not true that those born between 1 Sep 2002 and 2 Jan 2011 are ineligible for JISAs. They are only ineligible if they have a CTF. The article seems to incorrectly assume that all born between those years qualified for a CTF and had one opened.

The article also makes it more complicated than it needs to be - there's a simple rule: "children who don't have a CTF".

Those ineligible for a CTF were most likely not UK residents at the time.
  • Former MSE Dan
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:09 AM
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:09 AM
    Thanks jamesd - I have clarified this in the guide
  • Ported
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:42 AM
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:42 AM
    The top JISA I have found is 3.4% (fixed 1 year) at the Bank of Cyprus - PROVIDED you are an existing customer - it's a 'Loyalty' rate. Normal rate is 2.90%.
    • supermonkey
    • By supermonkey 2nd Nov 11, 1:03 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    supermonkey
    • 2nd Nov 11, 1:03 PM
    • 2nd Nov 11, 1:03 PM
    Can't see these being well used for the reasons noted in the article. Also, child trust funds were worth opening even if you didn't plan on paying anything in due to the £250 vouchers provided (I think there's even another £250 voucher when the the child reaches a certain age if they still honour this)
  • imillett1982
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:02 PM
    Junior ISA
    • 2nd Nov 11, 10:02 PM
    Do you need to open 2 accounts? i.e. a normal junior ISA and a junior shares ISA or do they come as one package from the same bank/BS?
  • Former MSE Dan
    • 3rd Nov 11, 11:52 AM
    • 3rd Nov 11, 11:52 AM
    They will be separate products, but I'm sure banks will try and sell you both, if you choose to split the yearly allowance between cash and shares
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 3rd Nov 11, 5:30 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 3rd Nov 11, 5:30 PM
    • 3rd Nov 11, 5:30 PM
    It is not true that those born between 1 Sep 2002 and 2 Jan 2011 are ineligible for JISAs. They are only ineligible if they have a CTF. The article seems to incorrectly assume that all born between those years qualified for a CTF and had one opened.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    Is it possible NOT to have a CTF if you born between those dates? All children born between those dates were eligible for a CTF voucher. If the parent didn't invest the voucher, HRMC did on their behalf.
    • oramgepekoe
    • By oramgepekoe 3rd Nov 11, 5:36 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    oramgepekoe
    • 3rd Nov 11, 5:36 PM
    • 3rd Nov 11, 5:36 PM
    According to their website, Nationwide's Smart Junior ISA 3% can only be set up for under 16's. I've phoned Nationwide to check that this is so. They can't give me a good reason why it's not available to 16 and 17 year olds.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/childrens/smartjuniorisa/introduction.htm?intcmp=Intcmp_0891
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 3rd Nov 11, 6:51 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    MrGumby
    Incentives
    There are various incentives on offer, e.g. Jump (Witan) is offering a £25 John Lewis voucher for a £250 lump sum or £50 monthly/quarterly DD in a cash or investment ISA.

With an investment ISA, however, you have to take fees into account. Jump charges an annual management fee of £30 + vat p.a. which would tend to wipe out any gains on smaller investments.

By contrast, Hargreaves Lansdown offers no gifts but charges no fees either (on funds and cash, that is - 0.5% p.a. on other investments). Actually, it isn't quite that simple, but that's the gist of it.

The HL offer seems preferable, unless I'm missing something.

This is clearly a big subject that needs careful thought before buying, at least before buying a Junior investment ISA.
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 3rd Nov 11, 6:52 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    MrGumby
    According to their website, Nationwide's Smart Junior ISA 3% can only be set up for under 16's. I've phoned Nationwide to check that this is so. They can't give me a good reason why it's not available to 16 and 17 year olds.
    Originally posted by oramgepekoe
    Nationwide seems far from alone in this policy.
    • oramgepekoe
    • By oramgepekoe 3rd Nov 11, 8:56 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    oramgepekoe
    Originally posted by MrGumby
    Who else have you found who are only allowing under 16s?
    • oramgepekoe
    • By oramgepekoe 3rd Nov 11, 9:13 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    oramgepekoe
    There are various incentives on offer, e.g. Jump (Witan) is offering a £25 John Lewis voucher for a £250 lump sum or £50 monthly/quarterly DD in a cash or investment ISA.

With an investment ISA, however, you have to take fees into account. Jump charges an annual management fee of £30 + vat p.a. which would tend to wipe out any gains on smaller investments.

By contrast, Hargreaves Lansdown offers no gifts but charges no fees either (on funds and cash, that is - 0.5% p.a. on other investments). Actually, it isn't quite that simple, but that's the gist of it.

The HL offer seems preferable, unless I'm missing something.

This is clearly a big subject that needs careful thought before buying, at least before buying a Junior investment ISA.

You also need to consider what product the Junior investment ISA converts into at age 18 and the ongoing fees once converted.
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 3rd Nov 11, 9:30 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    MrGumby
    Who else have you found who are only allowing under 16s?
    Originally posted by oramgepekoe
    I've seen several but can't remember them all. Here's one (see the answer to "Can anyone open a Junior ISA?")
    http://www.familyinvestments.co.uk/junior-isa/junior-isa-faqs/
  • highwayfive
    Merging Junior ISA and CFT?
    The Jump Savings (Witan) offer is here - and is only running until the 31st December. I seem to remember that the government invested your CTF Voucher for you if you hadn't done so with the first year so there will not be very many people born within the time frame that don't have the accounts. Hopefully you will soon be able to switch your Child Trust Fund to a Junior ISA. There is an article about this in today's telegraph.
  • Fabius
    I don't think it's a policy. As 16 and 17 year olds can open standard cash ISAs already I expect that this is a rule, although I'll admit that I haven't checked.

Otherwise they'd get two years of both allowances.
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 4th Nov 11, 5:27 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    MrGumby
    I don't think it's a policy. As 16 and 17 year olds can open standard cash ISAs already I expect that this is a rule, although I'll admit that I haven't checked.

Originally posted by Fabius
    What you say is logical but some providers, at least, seem to be accepting 17-year-olds. I just started a fictitious application on the Hargreaves Lansdown website. Nothing there says they won't accept a 17-year-old and their system was happy to go ahead when I gave DoB 13/10/1994.
    • Ark Welder
    • By Ark Welder 4th Nov 11, 10:00 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Ark Welder
    The top JISA I have found is 3.4% (fixed 1 year) at the Bank of Cyprus - PROVIDED you are an existing customer - it's a 'Loyalty' rate. Normal rate is 2.90%.
    Originally posted by Ported
    Also note that the Bank of Cyprus UK does not fall within FSCS, it comes under the Cypriot Deposit Protection Scheme: Section 8 at http://www.bankofcyprus.co.uk/Legal/

+++

Some of the following articles from the FT may be of interest (although a free registration might be needed to be able to read all of them): http://www.ft.com/investment/isas
    Last edited by Ark Welder; 04-11-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: FT
    Living for tomorrow might mean that you survive the day after.
    It is always different this time. The only thing that is the same is the outcome.
    Portfolios are like personalities - one that is balanced is usually preferable.

• caelshorn
    Hi all,
    my daughter was born in August and I want to set up a regular saving for her. However, I already manage both my and my husbands accounts, which I'm starting to struggle with - I won't have the time & energy to manage hers as well. By "manage" I mean taking a good 1-year deal and tarting the money around every year. I read an article that SIPPs are a good investment for kids. I quite like the idea of the money being available once they reach 50, rather than 18 But I've just had a look at the SIPP article on here and it seems like a lot of work. Any advice on what would be a sensible low-maintenance investment with decent returns?
    Many thanks!
    • westy22
    • By westy22 5th Nov 11, 8:59 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    westy22
    I'm sure that I've read somewhere that this is a valid loophole and 16-18 year olds can benefit from having both a JISA and an adult ISA in the same year. I suspect that if this is true HMRC will waste little time in closing the loophole!
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,032Posts Today

6,353Users online

Martin's Twitter