MSE News: Travel firms still flout rules on charges

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers booking a holiday online should beware the continuing menace of firms sneakily trying to opt passengers into optional extras that hike up the price of jetting away..."

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Until the regulators have 'teeth' it will continue.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well you can name them, but you'll never shame them!
  • This is a little unrelated to the subject, but I am experiencing a problem with a booking I made via Expedia. Can someone provide help with what I can do to get a satisfactory solution? thanks.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    This is a little unrelated to the subject, but I am experiencing a problem with a booking I made via Expedia. Can someone provide help with what I can do to get a satisfactory solution? thanks.
    Start a new thread, where i am sure you will get some good advice. Discussion of your specific problem here will get in the way of an important general discussion.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    From TFA
    A Lastminute.com spokeswoman says: "We automatically opt in customers for travel insurance as there have been a number of high-profile cases where uninsured travellers have been unable to afford medical treatment or transport home. Customers can remove it from their shopping basket at any time."

This strikes me as either incompetent or disingenuous. If LastMinute really want to give customers a choice, they should leave BOTH options unchecked - and refuse the web form in the familiar way until one or the other option was chosen.

They could even put in a nag screen to try and convince anyone who refused insurance that they were making a mistake. I would find that more honourable than just preselecting the option which makes most money for LastMinute.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would be nice if companies did respond to what is little more than a polite request but sadly most will do whatever they can get away with. Not that surprising when there is no requirement to do otherwise and no sanction if they chose to do just that.

The boxes I can cope with its the fees simply for paying that really irritate me. How can they charge you for what is an essential part of the transaction?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Shearings coach holidays also pre-selects insurance.

Example of price is £29 each for a 5 day coach trip to Scotland.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport