July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Cheerfulness there is no way I can feed 1 adult and 2 teens on £200 per month so for you to get anywhere near it for 5 adults is amazing. Cut yourself some slack :D
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    millionaire in training I notice your cc and debt free date have changed. Way to go, you!!:T

NSDs most of this week, and will go shopping on Sunday prob. Just need a few things - milk, bread, yoghurt, not too much else I don't think. Oh, a bit of fruit. I'm sure the list will have grown by then!!

I'm off out tonight for a leaving do, so free food! Yay!

Have a good weekend all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    pop into your local butcher and make a friend of him Most butchers are very helpful and will show you whats good value to buy .I try to buy mostly from my local chap and he is a diamond .Like most men they love to show off their knowledge so a little bit of eye-batting;) goes a long way towards getting some helpful knowledge.my local chap will always tell me when he has something in season coming in.Mind you I am lucky as he buys most of his meats locally and stocks rare breeds, well worth cultivating though.Supermarkets can be a bit hit and miss and I would rather have less meat of better quality, than stuff that is wrapped in plastic in trays

Hi uropa I totally agree with JackieO, get to know your butcher. I never buy meat from the supermarket. Yes, some meats will be cheaper but the quality and flavour of meat from a good local butcher is worth the extra pennies. :drool: Often things will be a lot cheaper than the sm, I can't get free range organic eggs anywhere as cheap as the ones from my butcher and they're huge. And don't get me (and others!) started on the amount of water in mass produced meat from supermarkets. :silenced:
    emmad5689 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but trying 9 month old on proper foods as it seems to be what she wants, shes had jacket pot n cheese, toast, banana and cheese spread sandwich, anyone any other ideas what I can give her as I would save loads on the jars if she wants prpoer food

Hi emmad, you've already had some great suggestions on food. I just wanted to add that my daughter also used to have whatever we were eating - pureed at first then just mashed up and eventually cut small ... Well, you get the picture. It can save a fortune when those jars are so expensive. And chunks of apple, cucumber, pear, carrot etc out of the fridge make great natural 'teethers' to help soothe those hot gums when the teeth are pushing through.

Rosieben :A you are still a star and so helpful to us all. Thank you for putting me on the list.

Well I did the long list online order today so my total is going to leap a fair way tomorrow when it gets delivered. It'll be around £130 but does include a fair bit of cleaning stuff and stock up too on cheese, butter, teabags, etc. Considering we didn't do a big shop last month I'm not too worried about it but we will need to keep an eye on what else goes out this month now.

So sig is updated to today and once I know how much the total is tomorrow I'll update again.

I hope you have a great weekend and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    we nearly always gave our kids wat we had, with the ezception of spicy or salty foods like gammon they eat anything now, breadsticks are a popular snack aswell

i'm off to te$co tonight to grab a few bits will update when i'm back
    Thats the problem we mainly eat curry, chilli, fahitas or something basic like jacket spuds, we have one dinner a week and she does have that but otherwie our food isn't suitable.
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    69chick wrote: »
    Hi again all. was just wondering if I can pick your brains.. I am trying to get into the habit of more baking and cooking of deserts for my lot who are pud lovers (and I don't like keep buying the ready stuff all the time) have had some success but I want to be able to just bung some cakes in the oven like a lot of people on here seem to do rather than make a big deal of it iyswim.. anyway am wanting to get a recipe for chocolate cake that I can either do in a round tin or maybe in a fairy cake tin. Can any of you give me any ideas? I have searched a bit around the net and on here but there seem to be so many different variations...

Any recipes/tips would be appreciated
    i cannot take credit for this but a lady i worked with gave me a great recipe for sponge pudding, that was cooked in the microwave.

4 oz self-raising flour
    2 oz shredded suet (i use the vege lower fat version)
    2 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    2 drops vanilla essence

grease a microwaveable bowl.
    Mix the flour, suet and sugar together to a smooth batter then add the egg, water, milk and vanilla essence.
    Spoon the mixture into the bowl.
    Cover the basin with cling film and cook at max based on 700w for 2 minutes.
    Remove the cling film and cook for a further 2 minutes.
    turn out and serve.

another really nice way to cook it is to put golden syrup in the bowl before adding the batter mix.
    you can also replace a spoon of the flour with cocoa for a chocolate pudding. you can add fruit for spotted !!!!!!, ginger and black treacle etc.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,656
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2011 at 8:19PM
    Also whilst on the subject of chocolate this is fab http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/34/chocolate-selfsaucing-pudding it is a self saucing chocolate pudding.

and heres a banana and butterscotch pudding http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516685

They both have a sauce layer at the bottom of the pudding and are easy to make, dont take loads of ingredients and impressive.
  • sprozza
    sprozza Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well went to A!di again for my weekly shop and spent £30.30. Amazed at the amout of food I got for my money, a huge trolly full. I also popped to Ice!and and h*me Bargain$ and spent another tenner but we are all stocked up now. Must say that I think my best buy was the A!di spagetti only 40p for 1kg! I must say that I was a little nervous about commiting to only £200 for july but I am feeling quite confident now :)
    June Grocery challenge £200.62/£400
  • TizerCat
    TizerCat Posts: 473
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2011 at 9:56PM
    Hello Rosieben and Pink-winged, please can sign off this week with a total of £14.92 so 8p under my target of £15 this week :D

Would of done even better but gave into sausage and chips takeaway earlier in the week and a bar of chocolate today :cool:

Can you put me down for £45 for next week please. I have 2 students arriving Sunday who need to be fed. Am going to try the menu planner from the Feed a family cheaply site on here. :T

Have been to $sd$ and done the weeks shopping Total spent £24.86 so far :)

£20.14 left for anything I've forgot :)

TC
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17:o cleared it in 2017. Debt now £3600 on credit card 0% and £20k on consolidation loan Oh dear will I ever l learn!? B][/FONT
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,328
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    Natty, is that a typo? I just checked back through and you gave your target as £190

I've put you at £190, but if you do want to change to £160 let me know ;)

Hi hon, gawd knows what I was thinking when I put £160..lol. It is definately £190.. Although the rate I am spending at the moment it could be nill...

Sorry for confusing you xxx
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023 🏅 ⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award ⭐️
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2011 at 11:01PM
    JIL I've added your Microwave Chocolate pudding recipe to the index :T

TizerCat, you've been updated :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D