Great 'How do you stop yourself spending?' Hunt

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 28 June 2011 at 7:45PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Great 'How do you stop yourself spending?' Hunt

What are your top tips for controlling your spending impulses? How do you stop yourself reaching for your cash or card? Please share with other MoneySavers.

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2011 at 12:44PM
    I keep a picture of my dream house in my purse, so I know where I *really* want to spend my money. I also think about how many hours I would have to work to pay for my purchase, which soon makes it not worth the effort involved!
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 June 2011 at 12:45PM
    I only take the cash I need to spend with me - if I don't have my debit card I can't spend more!

I struggle to remember numbers so I deliberately didn't learn my credit card pin - very frustrating at times, but a huge money saver. Shame I don't need the pin for on-line spending ...
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • IceCreamDreams
    IceCreamDreams Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2011 at 12:46PM
    My sister keeps her credit card frozen in a block of ice in the freezer! That way she cannot impulse buy, as she has to wait for the credit card to defrost before she can pay for anything, and by that time she has usually realised that she didn't need the purchase anyway... :0)
    Bank Accounts - HSBC Advance Current Account, Nationwide Flex Current Account, Lloyds TSB Basic Account
    Credit Cards - HSBC (£2000 limit), Vanquis (£1750 limit), Capital One (£800 limit), Barclaycard Initial (£260 limit)
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well I've now kept my credit card in a drawer, so I don't spend it in shops. If I want something that's not time sensitive (like tickets) I wait a bit and if I still want it in a week, 2, 3, 4 weeks then it goes on my list of things to buy when I get wages and I can afford it. It's mostly DVDs I do this with.
  • Dicegirly
    Dicegirly Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To avoid spending money at work, I take my own lunch, and leave my purse at home.
    That way, on those days when I just don't fancy the sandwiches I brought with me, and they have something tasty looking in the canteen, I can't give in to temptation as I have no money with me, so I have to eat what I have brought or there is nothing else.
    Stops me buying a choccy bar for afters as well!
  • IDProtected
    IDProtected Posts: 237 Forumite
    My sister keeps her credit card frozen in a block of ice in the freezer! That way she cannot impulse buy, as she has to wait for the credit card to defrost before she can pay for anything, and by that time she has usually realised that she didn't need the purchase anyway... :0)

Sounds like a brilliant idea but doesn't it mess up the card? I thought you froze a card to break the codes within it!
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • 1jeannie
    1jeannie Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If I book a holiday because I've got that to look forward too and plan for I don't mind saving my money because it will help pay for my holiday.;)
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Sounds like a brilliant idea but doesn't it mess up the card? I thought you froze a card to break the codes within it!

I don't think freezing the card would damage it. Getting them wet is OK, and I've accidentally left mine in the car overnight without problems when the temperature was about -10°C . Defrosting the card in the microwave, that might be more problematic!
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Thefunkygibbons Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Nothing works like a spending diary

Having to record money spent on every little item highlights where the money went and forces one to think before each purchase
  • Just don't go to the shops! Take up walking instead!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure