June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Jil, that's exactly what I was going to suggest with the leftover mozzarella. I have a recipe for lamb burgers with a ball of feta inside; I'm sure beef burgers with melty mozzarella would be just as lovely!
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chloris wrote: »
    I got a pack of 5 from the pound shop - cheap as chips! Well cheaper actually.

Hi Chloris.
    If you go into pound land don't buy the ones in the cleaning section buy the ones that are in the motoring section, they are brilliant and you certainly don't need any cleaning products.

Up to now I have had 4 NSD up to now (never been known) I have started using The 2nd purse System early days yet but I think I understand it now.
    Hope everyone has a good week. Morrisons have just advertised Robinson squash for 50p. Hope they have lots more offers this week.
    Pat
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Oops. Was supposed to be a nsd, but spent £14.12 in a$da today. However, did need to go in for sun cream (not gc) and a few other bits, like a present for a friend (also not gc). I was fairly restrained, and didn't go down some of the aisles, which I think helped! Plus, the mantra - I already have too much, I already have too much...!!!

I will not let this month beat me!

ROTFLMAO about the kelloggs thing!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2011 at 9:46PM
    1lb Mince

I jar Sundried tomatoes in olive or Sunflour oil ( Aldi £1.19)

4 Cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
    1 large onion (finely chopped)
    1 red Pepper ( cut up small)
    A few mushrooms if you have them.
    6 large tomatoes chopped. (Or a tin of tomatoes cut up).
    2 small or one large container or jar passata or chopped tomatoes with olives M*******s finest 3 for £1.

1 pack of Ementhall cheese ( Aldi £1.39)

1 pack of Lasagna sheets, fresh or dried , (even better homemade)

Tomato Sauce

Brown mince, remove from pot, place in sieve to drain off fat, dry off pan.

Open jar sundried tomatoes , puree tomatoes reserve till later, pour oil from jar in pan, fry garlic and finely chopped onions, until translucent, add mushrooms, red pepper pureed sundried tomatoes, fry for a while , then add chopped tomatoes, add mince.
    Add passata or containers of chopped tomatoes.
    Cook for about 10-15 min.
    Salt to taste. Add some basil, and a good squirt of lemon juice.

White sauce.

Large knob of butter, melt in pan, add 2-3 tablespoons flour, stir around for a few seconds until cooked, add 1 pint milk gradually, beat until there is no lumps, ( I use a stick blender).
    Add a good dollop of cream cheese, or 4-6 dairylee beat until melted.
    Salt to taste, add some grated nutmeg to sauce.

Oil dish , place a layer of lasagna sheets in dish, followed by meat sauce, lasagne, repeat till all your meat sauce is used, then add, white sauce to top, cover white sauce with a layer of Ementhall cheese, press down in sauce to allow some of the sauce to come up through the holes in the cheese, go round all the edges as well to partly sink the cheese.
    Grate some nutmeg over the top and bake it oven for 40 min at 200.

The sundried tomatoes really lift the tomato sauce, gives the flavour much more depth. Frying the onions and garlic in the sundried tomato oil at start of cooking also improves the taste. I've tried just throwing everything in, no where near as nice.

I've used this sauce for meatballs and Bolognese.

NOM NOM NOM!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chloris wrote: »
    Oh, I have pearl barley too!

Thank you for the idea. I am a lazy cook when it comes to parboiling. So could I cut my potatoes up for chips/wedges, coat with semolina when cook in the oven?

Yes Chloris you can do it like that but much nicer when parboiled just for a short time. We have had the roasties tonight yum yum:)
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • Evren
    Evren Posts: 33 Forumite
    Sausages, they are a godsend, I swear. Lol.
    Cheap and easy to cook from frozen, and never ever forget the old tatties. xD
    A work in progress. <3
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mothership, I've added your Lasagne recipe to the index ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning Peeps :wave:

not doing quite as badly as i thought we would be this month:j

I`ve not even started on my siggy yet though but plan to update later as i`m off out to the shops soon. I`ve not been able to total up for May yet as i have a missing receipt so may have to guess at that one if it doesn`t turn up soon.

I think that as i`m getting out of the habit of taking my purse everywhere this has gone astray, still have a few more pockets to check though.

Mothership - your lasagne recipe sounds lovely, i`m a big fan of sundried tomatoes too so i shall buy everything in and make the recipe later in the month when i have a day off. Thanks for posting.

Sistercas - Sorry to hear about your freezer :( hope that you manage to replace everything without too much expense.

Off to tweak the meal planner and add a few things to my shopping list.

Have a marvellous Monday everyone. :wave:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    It's only the 6th, and I'm already not gonna make it!! :eek:

Consoling myself with the fact I've had a couple of good months. Stopped meal planning, so shouldn't be surprised really! Back on that wagon today. Have cupboards full of food and i'm on hols this week so batch cooking it is!

And staying away from T3scos!!!!!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    hi everyone, had a weekly shop at mr t on thursday which came to £70.29 :eek: had to buy extra with kids being off. Popped to Mr Morris on sat and spent £22.75, half the things i just picked up cos they were on offer not because i actually needed them :mad:
    Today will be a NSD, been chucking it down all night and still is, least the gardens getting a bit of water.

Spiggle.. hope your ok love and we see you posting again soon :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure