We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Did you sign up for free solar panels? Feedback wanted

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 May 2011 at 6:02PM in Energy
We are updating our Free Solar Panels guide and are looking for feedback from MoneySavers who signed up to a scheme.

We'd love to know how it went and your tips to max the savings, so we can improve the guide.

Things we'd love to know ...
  • Which free solar panel company did you use?
  • Whereabouts are you?
  • How smooth was the panel-fitting process?
  • How much did you save on your electricity bill?
  • How long did you have to wait for the panels?
  • What are your tips to ensure you get the most out of the free panels?
  • Were there any technical glitches?
  • What should other MoneySavers watch out for when signing up?

Thanks for the feedback.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    We applied for free panels from ASG last summer after reading about it on HUKD. I watched the BBC news story which confirmed it was legit, and went for it on the basis that the BBC must have had their lawyers check it out thoroughly before promoting it!

For ASG you have to live in the right geographical area - roughly an hour's drive of Sheffield (tho I think they're moving out). You need a south facing roof with nothing shading it (like big trees or tall neighbourly houses) and the roof needs to be big enough and strong enough for the full set of 18 panels.

If applying it's worth mentioning anything in the notes that might help as the initial assessment is based solely on their Google Earth view of your house. We mentioned in ours that the tall trees seen on the photo were no longer there - the surveyor later said if we hadn't told them that we'd probably have been rejected.

We had to sign some contracts (quite straightforward) and give our mortgage company and insurance details as they obtain permission from both of those - no problems with Halifax.

Installed in October, and pretty much hassle free. We did have to clear the loft out a bit, and the scaffolding was up for a while but I can't complain. Installation of the panels took a morning and the electrician was there a full day (he had a bit of trouble with something or other but got there in the end).

It's hard to say if we've saved much because our bills were messed up by Eon forgetting to taken our direct debit for several months, so we were paying more and ended up repaying too much - we've just switched supplier now though so hopefully it'll settle down. The meter doesn't seem to move much though!

A friend has also now got ASG panels and is also perfectly happy with the whole business.

ASG seem quite big on customer service - they're now doing a monthly prize draw on Facebook and have a tour bus that travels around South Yorkshire. They've just started a referral scheme too.

We haven't paid a single penny for our panels - I can't recommend it highly enough. A lot of these 'free solar panel' companies seem to be getting bad press and it's a shame that they all get tarred with the same brush as these are one of the totally genuine ones.:)
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    pandapaws wrote: »
    We haven't paid a single penny for our panels

I on the other hand will pay this year probably around a pound for your panels.

(not, strictly your panels of course).

The feed-in-tarrif is essentially a tax.
    It takes money disproportionately from the poorer-off, and gives it to those - largely better off - who are in a position to install panels on their roofs.

Worse, it is inefficient.

The vastly most efficient way to use this tax would be to allow the use of relatively large scale solar 'farms' - say of megawatt class.

This would decrease the amount of subsidy required - it's vastly cheaper to put up a thousand kilowatt panels on a flat site than to put up a thousand panels on a thousand different roofs. Maintenance is simplified.

People with money could even invest in these panels, and get returns, exactly as they are doing with ones on their roofs.
    It would just be cheaper for the subsidy-payer.

In addition, the costly paperwork requirements add _hugely_ to the cost.
    I have sourced and fitted a solar-thermal panel to my roof.

I understand how this works, and it was not particularly difficult plumbing to fit.
    In order to qualify for the renewable heat incentive scheme - the panel would require certification, and it would have to have been fitted by an approved professional.

Looking at current quotes I've seen other people get for similar systems, it would cost around ten times my installed cost.

Similarly for solar-PV.

Worse - without the magic sticker for PV - you can't even feed electricity into the grid and get paid what you're paying for it - nevermind the feed-in tarrif.
    You get around 2.5p/kWh - around a sixth of what you pay for normal electricity.

This is not of course a criticism directly of those that have put panels on their roofs, encouraged by the government, I just hope that the system is reformed before it costs me more money than it should.
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    I on the other hand will pay this year probably around a pound for your panels.

(not, strictly your panels of course).

The feed-in-tarrif is essentially a tax.
    It takes money disproportionately from the poorer-off, and gives it to those - largely better off - who are in a position to install panels on their roofs.

I do agree that it's a pretty dumb system but then most things dreamed up by the government are pretty dumb. The same could be said for people driving around in their Priuses (again, generally wealthy people in the first place). Great for them that they're not paying any road tax, and great for the environment that they're cleaner cars, but just because they emit less carbon doesn't mean they'll require less road maintenance. My £280 (or whatever it is now) road tax on my 8-yr old Mondeo is subsidising these Band A cars.

We'll lose our child benefit next year, but continue to pay the same amount in tax to subsidise the people on benefits who just can't be bothered to work (I don't include genuine cases in that before I start the usual argument - solely the minority who are just bone idle, and although that's not most people, they do exist in their millions!).

Anyway, this is all off-topic so I'll leave my little rant in reply there. I sympathise with the post above but so many things are unfair that I'm just glad that for once I'm able to be on the receiving end rather than paying out. For me personally and selfishly, the feed-in tariff rocks.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Totally agree with the sentiments in post#3. That point has been made in several threads - the poor paying the venture capitalists who start up firms to cash in on the subsidies.

However to more practical issues. It is impossible to know how much you have saved without having an export meter. i.e If you generate 2,000kWh and export 1100kWh you have used 900kWh in the house. Without an export meter we will get posts of the 'last year I spent £yyy on electricity - this year only £xxx' variety.

Two people on MSE have had their own systems for 3 years or so(they don't get FITs) and have export meters fitted so know exactly how much they have used and posted their accurate results. One used 1,000kWh pa and the other 500kWh pa. - so saving approx £100 and £50 a year. The latter has wife and two young children who are at home all day.

Incidentally if you have gas CH and attempt to heat water with an immersion heater using Solar power, you could well end up losing money.

There are some threads in the 'Green' forum that discuss how to maximise 'in house' consumption.
  • Greyowl
    Greyowl Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    We had ours installed completely free around 6 weeks ago. Our first monthly bill that only included 3 weeks of solar was a £13.00 reduction so we are well happy so far. We now make sure all washing and dishwashing and showering the grandsons is done while we are getting the free power, plus anything else we can do.

We had ours installed by British Gas and I can't fault the installation or help centre at all. According to one of the installation team our system would have cost around £18,000 if we had to pay. It was done in a day and scaffold all gone the next day. We have 18 PV panels producing over 3 KW on a sunny day.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    Greyowl wrote: »
    We had ours installed completely free around 6 weeks ago. Our first monthly bill that only included 3 weeks of solar was a £13.00 reduction so we are well happy so far. We now make sure all washing and dishwashing and showering the grandsons is done while we are getting the free power, plus anything else we can do.

We had ours installed by British Gas and I can't fault the installation or help centre at all. According to one of the installation team our system would have cost around £18,000 if we had to pay. It was done in a day and scaffold all gone the next day. We have 18 PV panels producing over 3 KW on a sunny day.

While you have panels 'completely free' in monetary terms, you have signed a contract with extremely restrictive terms as to your future control of your property for the next 25 or 26 years.

Hopefully, the restrictions may not apply to you, but it's certainly a possibiliy that in say ten years time you may want to sell your house. The onus is then onto you to find a buyer prepared to take on the balance of your contract - say 15 years at that time. Hopefully, you'll find such a buyer with no problems, and you'll barely notice any difference from a straightforward sale (although I'd expect the extra complexity of the converyance will increase those costs a little).

But what if a you have difficulty finding a buyer to take on the solar panels? I expect that is a possibility, since in ten years, your panels may be very old technology, and then current panels may be more efficient with develoments such as cooled panels, panels with dual pv/thermal, panels with individual inverters and/or individual peak power tracking, or even currently unknown developments which may lower the cost and/or make solar more efficient than today.

Some companies appear to have a buyout clause, so, under the above conditions (which i stress is just a possibility) the contract can be cancelled for a certain payment in order for a sale to go ahead (the payments for thois appear to be in some cases the then value of the panels plus the outstanding fit payment expectations, which of course would be large). Without such a clause, it looks like the house isn't saleable at all unless a buyer is found prepared to take on the panels (and therefore prepared to remove the possibility of owning his own panelsand possibly getting the fit for himself).

So yes, you have free panels, but your side of the bargain means you have to take quite large risks with the control you have over selling your house during the next quarter centrury.
  • caroline.mccann
    Options
    I unfortunately didn't qualify. I have the right aspect but my roof is too small (stone 2 bed terrace) for the system they wanted to fit, although they were happy to quote for an alternative system that I could pay for...!! They're obviously more inclined to install larger systems for more profit than just trying to help the majority. Given the earlier comments about the majority subsidising the few, this whole thing left me feeling quite bitter!
  • djmartin999
    Options
    Whilst not a Free installation (and if you have the money upfront why would you go for a free one?), our 12 panel Moserbaer polycrystalline installation on the west facing roof (very few south roof unfortunately) cost just over £11,500 but in 2.5 months has generated £336 of benefit - £185 of FiT payments and £151 of energy savings. Admittedly we've had a very sunny couple of months. Our net rate of return over 25 years should be around 9%, payback of around 9y6m. Highly recommended!

Martin
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought it was more viable to just buy shares in solar farms,
    probably sited in ex-mining pits. This is a fairer approach, as you don't have to have a south facing roof, so even people living in flats can join in.

Instead of dividends, you get kWh credits against your fuel bill.
    Potentially, you can trade it as carbon credit.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst not a Free installation (and if you have the money upfront why would you go for a free one?), our 12 panel Moserbaer polycrystalline installation on the west facing roof (very few south roof unfortunately) cost just over £11,500 but in 2.5 months has generated £336 of benefit - £185 of FiT payments and £151 of energy savings. Admittedly we've had a very sunny couple of months. Our net rate of return over 25 years should be around 9%, payback of around 9y6m. Highly recommended!

Martin

Can you please show your calculations regarding your panels generating a benefit of £336 in 2.5 months please? Surely even if you had actually used every kWh produced, it was not worth £151 of energy savings or am I missing something obvious?
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport