Moving BT Master Socket

2»

Comments

• Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mtaylor2 wrote: »
    I have know TRIPLE checked with BT and they have said again..
    that it is an 'Urban myth' that you will get fined and its illegal to move master
    sockets.
    The rules were relaxed a few years ago.

If it goes wrong you will have to pay to get it fixed by Openreach!
    This actually makes sense. All they are concerned about is not having to pay to put customers' errors right.

Just don't try and strip the wires with your teeth.

Could be 'interesting' if someone rings! :D
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Hello, mtaylor2. Many of us were under the impression that you could not touch or remove the innards of the master socket (of whatever kind) without breaking terms and conditions of bt openreach including telephone engineers themselves. I take that if it is okay to remove the master then it is okay as well to move/cut the drop line which enters your home.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Mtaylor2 wrote: »
    I have know TRIPLE checked with BT and they have said again..
    that it is an 'Urban myth' that you will get fined and its illegal to move master
    sockets.
    The rules were relaxed a few years ago.

If it goes wrong you will have to pay to get it fixed by Openreach!

Then I guess BT forgot to tell everyone who does it for a living..If you were told that by a BT rep,I'd take that with a big shovel full of salt...

For example,a master socket may have old style GPO wiring connected,now I have been to faults where the wiring color combination has differed between the sockets in the house!I once spent nearly half a day tracing back & toning out wires & extensions in a massive house to find what wire went where & was connected to what.

Your average DIY'er wouldn't know where to start...:p
  • Hello Spike, as someone who works in this field have you read in black and white that it is illegal to play with the socket. Is it in the phone book perhaps?
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    dogfish12 wrote: »
    Hello Spike, as someone who works in this field have you read in black and white that it is illegal to play with the socket. Is it in the phone book perhaps?

I have seen it in black & white on the regulations that govern telephone services that we were given when I worked for NTL/VM.

One of the reason's it's illigal is simply that it stops a competitor,say BT,going into a home & instead of running a new service,they use the cabling & sockets already in place that were fitted by NTL/VM ect.So if the customer decides a couple years later to go back to NTL/VM,they dont get charged for the re-install of the services that BT used & visa versa. (although it doesn't stop them anyhow!:mad:)

As to is it in the phonebook,I dunno I've never looked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure