January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    kahunababy wrote: »
    Hi,

At xmas we had loads and loads of carrot & swede mash left. I froze it in bags of smaller portions and so far we have already eaten 3 portions (kids love it) I just defrost overnight then warm in the microwave. Just pop it in a bowl with some cling film over it (pierced) and I heat for 1min at a time stirring in between till steaming hot. HTH

Also didn't go watery at all!

Thanks for that - worries over! It's not something I usually do, but they needed using up :D
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • gdyr1945
    gdyr1945 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Realy feel like swearing*******:mad:. My mother gave me some cherries, which I love but don't often but 'cause of cost and I have broken my front tooth on a stone! Have to see if I can get emergency appointment at dentist tomorrow. That will be a fun (and probably expensive) way to spend Friday.

I was feeling so good too. Had lovely long walk with friend this morning. We nearly froze as the wind was sooooo cold but we both felt very virtuous afterwards. Have also started a gentle strength work out from 'Strong Women Don't Get Fat'. Trying to look on bright side I wont be eating much tomorrow!

Thanks for 'listening' to my rant. I always feel as though I have had a lovely chat and hug from my best friends after reading all the wonderful support and understandidng out there.

Will probably feel very sorry for myself tomorrow.
  • gdyr1945 wrote: »
    Realy feel like swearing*******:mad:. My mother gave me some cherries, which I love but don't often but 'cause of cost and I have broken my front tooth on a stone! Have to see if I can get emergency appointment at dentist tomorrow. That will be a fun (and probably expensive) way to spend Friday.

I was feeling so good too. Had lovely long walk with friend this morning. We nearly froze as the wind was sooooo cold but we both felt very virtuous afterwards. Have also started a gentle strength work out from 'Strong Women Don't Get Fat'. Trying to look on bright side I wont be eating much tomorrow!

Thanks for 'listening' to my rant. I always feel as though I have had a lovely chat and hug from my best friends after reading all the wonderful support and understandidng out there.

Will probably feel very sorry for myself tomorrow.

Oh no, I hate the dentist too (probably because it hurts my pocket more than me!) Hope you manage to get an appointment and itis not too costly for you :grouphug:
    Just little old me!
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Evening all

Popped into MrT tonight to get a couple of bits but spent way too much - couldn't resist the whoopsies. Spent 19.58 on meat that would of cost me £39 so have lots of chicken thighs, quarters, beef mince and whole chickens. Anyhoo total spend was £32, need to update siggy and discuss with DH how much Feb shopping should be considering we have soooooooo much food.
    Not bothered that I've gone over this month considering how much I've bought!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Cooked a version of the twice baked spuds tonight with single cream, cheese and smokey bacon. Did twice as many as I thought I might take a couple to work tomorrow. They were delicious.

Would it be ok to freeze the rest as they have cream in?
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    gdyr, I hope you get it sorted! :( Was it a big bit?
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2011 at 8:48PM
    Ended up in Tesco tonight, and saw they were doing a deal on massive boxes of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. So of course I was forced to get one. Then of course I was forced to eat a small serving of said cornflakes after my tea tonight :o.

It was sooo worth it :cool:

ETA I've not updated my sig total with that yet, going to do it all in one when I've done me big shop, save faffing. I have kept receipts so I will know how much and it's ok.
  • gdyr1945
    gdyr1945 Posts: 58 Forumite
    feels big! Doesn't hurt at the moment but has very sharp edges. It's about 1/8 of my tooth. Was hoping not to spend too much this month but somethings you really can't cut back on!
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Minnie2 - Sorry to hear you are having to go to a funeral especially of someone who has passed away far to early in their life. :grouphug:

Took mum to Te$co this morning. I only spent £14.90 which was pleased about. They had one or two things reduced but to be honest they were not reduced by much so was'nt tempted at all. :A

Came back and made some soup using a little bit of chicken, 1/2 a leek, an onion, garlic,mushrooms, chicken stock and chopped chilli. I then got 1/2 a packof the cheapo noodles, soaked them for a short time, cut them up and added these. Have loads of these in the cupboard and not that keen on them although DH and DS eat them occasionally. Have more of the same ingredients left so will probably be doing another lot of soup on Saturday may add some sweetcorn to it though this time.
    Had pasta with some sauce and salad for our tea. I did say a while ago that I would try to have a few more meals without meat so this was one of them.
    For some strange reason I keep thinking its Friday today :rotfl:must be going daft in my old age!

Got some pork chops in the fridge that will need using tomorrow so thats what we will have for tea and may have a few chips with them as not had any for ages.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Just popping on to update Signature, still under budget but may go over by the end of next week :(. I will be a little disappointed if it does as ive tried hard , but i will be happy anyway as i know we have done great this month as before we would spend over £350 a month before for just the two of us.
    Thought i would share a gingerbread men recipe with you , they came out lovely :)

Gingerbread Men

350g / 12oz plain flour

175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar

100g / 4oz butter

1 medium egg

4 tablespoons of golden syrup

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

2 teaspoon of ground ginger

The pastry will be easier to mix if the butter has been removed from the fridge half an hour before starting mixing.

Put the flour, butter, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with fingertips until crumbly. Add sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm pastry mix.

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4
    Using the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Cut out the shapes with a knife and/or pastry cutter

Place the cut out pastry on a greased or non-stick baking tray.
    put the baking trays in the pre-heated oven. Remove after 15 minutes (check after 10 minutes).
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure