January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• if it goes mouldy thats a deal breaker for me, i chuck it then, tho i like to try and not let it get that far :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon peeps :wave:

i`m fresh back from the shops and i`m feeling really pleased with myself :D

My February challenge starts tomorrow and DH would normally be doing the shop tomorrow night after work so to save him a job i`ve done it today and whacked most of it on the CC so that it does come out of the Feb budget as we don`t get paid until tomorrow, thought i`d kill two birds with one stone as i had to go to the dry cleaners which is next to Sainsbugs and the cheapest place for petrol atm around here is MrM`s filling station.

I made a list of the offers that were on before i set off and have managed to get a huge amount of food for very little :D

In Sainsbugs i spent £17.38 and i bought the meat offer so for £10 i got a gammon joint, 6 pork loin steaks and a chicken, the red leicester cheese that was 2x500g for £4, philly at 91p and 97p for the one with chives, and a tray of chicken thighs and drumstix for £1.50 :j

In MrM i bought some veg for this week which was potatoes on offer for £1, sprouts on offer for 50p, condensed soup for pasta sauces on offer for 37p each,dove deodourant for 95p,some of the 49p sugar (got 3 of those) and a piece of pork shoulder on offer which was £2.98. I also picked up a few random tins whilst i was there so i am a very happy bunny. I`ve managed to get all the meat into the fridge so will rearrange the freezer later so that it can all go in for use in Feb :D

All in all £27.72 spent and i had £7.74 left from the January budget so i`ve taken that off and will take the remaining £19.98 from the February budget :D I now have enough food in to feed us for a couple of months as the freezer was almost full before.

Thanks to whoever posted the linky to the half price pet food from Am@zon :A, i`ve ordered just over £50 of pet food from there saving me a fortune, the dog food was the same price as my local so i ordered it at the same time as it was free delivery and so it saved me the cost of the petrol to collect it. The cat food is stacked up in the spare room upstairs and i`d already got a decent stash in for winter in case we couldn`t get out.

I`ve got enough pet food for at least two months so i shall only buy now if there is an offer on. It would be nice if i can save the pet food money for the coming months towards my mortgage overpayments. I`ve saved £60 this month by reducing the budget and i shall keep it at £100 for Feb too and see if i can stash that into the pot. :D

Soooo on that happy note i would like to declare £100 for food and £40 for the pets for January please MrsM, i had a look at the linky that you posted for your trek and i must say it looks fab!

Hope that everyone manages to pick up some decent bargains as there are loads on at the moment :j

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,677
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just done the price guarantee for yesterday's shopping. Even though it would have been 43p dearer in M's, I still have a voucher for £1.85 because of the 10% thing. Not to be sniffed at.
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    if it goes mouldy thats a deal breaker for me, i chuck it then, tho i like to try and not let it get that far :)
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I've just done the price guarantee for yesterday's shopping. Even though it would have been 43p dearer in M's, I still have a voucher for £1.85 because of the 10% thing. Not to be sniffed at.

What's the price guaranteed and how do you get it/where? :D
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Sorry folks I have got really behind this week and only have a few minutes before I must leave for work. I have updated my sig and am fairly pleased with progress so far this month. I have rellies coming at the weekend so have had to buy extra as the chicken left in the freezer was only big enough for 2-3 and I also had to buy some more cheese and fruit. Although I am on a yearly budget I will post my month's total next week - as long as I don't go over 1/12th of the annual budget I shall be happy. Staying out of the shops works for me - 14 NSDs so far this month!

Good luck all - will try and catch up at the weekend!

Love
    Moniker
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,677
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    What's the price guaranteed and how do you get it/where? :D

You have to buy at least 8 items from A*da, then put your receipt details into the web site

http://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/Compare-Prices/ASDA-receipt.aspx

You will need a printer if you are given any vouchers, and you have to hand your original till receipt in with the voucher when you use it, but you get the receipt back to keep.

I bought something on special offer yesterday and paid for it separately because I knew it would mean I had no hope of my shopping being cheaper anywhere else.
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Thanks cranky!

I am waiting for my bread to finish raising so I can put it in the oven! :D Let's see if it is ok. Not sure. In the last bit I felt that some of the dough had like hard skin on one of the sides of my ball. Maybe it is just dry flour. No clue. I am looking forward to see if it is edible! Lol
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Sorry i havent been on for a few days but just got back from mr al spent £25.67 I've had 4 nsd since saturdays visit to mr s .
    My total for the month so far is £144 I was hoping to try and keep it under £160 but i still think it will be nearer £200.
    But thats a big improvement on £100 every week at mr s.
    We are only going to visit mr s once every 3 weeks.
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all,been to adsa's yet again !. I spent £45.00 so going to add to my sig in a bit :-)
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    HI all,

Been a while since i've been on. So far we've been sticking to eating from the freezer and cupboards.
    Got no cheddar, plain flour and eggs left so will have to buy some.

going to make these soon, never had them before, but they should be lush.

feta and potato patties.
    500g potatoes
    115g feta cheese
    3tbsp chopped fresh dill (i'm using dried oregano)
    4 spring onions chopped (ordinary onions for me)
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 egg beaten
    flour for dredging
    3 tbsp olive oil
    salt / pepper

boil potatoes in skins in water till soft. drain and peel them, while warm and mash.
    Crumble feta, seasoning, dill, lemon juice, onions, potatoes and egg and stir well.

Cover the mixture and chill till firm.
    Divide mixture in small balls and flatten slightly.
    Dredge with flour and fry till golden brown.
    Serve at once.

will let you know id they azny good, were having chilli and jacket pots for tea, warming and yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure