January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 4:21PM
    Think that we have a fruit eating monster living with us at the moment as we are getting through it at an alarming rate.

Spent £12.07 today in Morri$$ons - this included oranges, apples, kiwi fruits, bananas, tomatoes, radish, swede, salad leaves and pasta. All healthy stuff so cant complain.

Still using things up out of the freezer as much as possible, yesterday we had some of the sausage that were frozen from christmas and today I am using some chicken that has been in for a while in a curry.

Love all the ideas for using the asparagus. Mine would be a bed of salad leaves, poached egg, some grilled bacon cut up and scattered over and then the asparagus and lastly a small amount of cheese scattered over the top. With some nice crusty bread this is gorgeous. Posh enough for 'ladies that lunch' as well. :rotfl:....... but soooooo tasty.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • jessie18
    jessie18 Posts: 68
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :hello:

Could you put me down for £295.00 this month please, sorry its late, but i havent been on here for a while, although i have been keeping a total written down. Spent yesterday afternoon cooking and then freezing, made six cottage pies, two cheese & potato pies & a big chicken chasseur for tonight. Not exciting i know, but its a start isnt it???:rotfl:
    Been spending way too much over the last few months. I just need to stop going in Mr T"s and thinking thats a bargain, just popped in & spent nearly £20, is it me or do they seem to be getting more expensive?

Enjoy the rest of you day everyone
    Jessie18 x
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jessie18 wrote: »
    Hi everyone :hello:

Could you put me down for £295.00 this month please, sorry its late, but i havent been on here for a while, although i have been keeping a total written down. Spent yesterday afternoon cooking and then freezing, made six cottage pies, two cheese & potato pies & a big chicken chasseur for tonight. Not exciting i know, but its a start isnt it???:rotfl:
    Been spending way too much over the last few months. I just need to stop going in Mr T"s and thinking thats a bargain, just popped in & spent nearly £20, is it me or do they seem to be getting more expensive?

Enjoy the rest of you day everyone
    Jessie18 x

Jessie - can you let me have the recipe for you cheese & potato pie please, sounds like something my OH would love - thanks :D
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    just updated my sig still on target

didnt intend to spend anything today but saw someone posted on the food / shopping forum i think that elvida shampoo was on offer in Mr T 2 for £1 instead of £1.70 each :eek: so nabbed a few and now have a years supply of toothpaste at a pricely sum of 26p from same store for extra care sensitive :D

so speculating to accumilating today
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Spent £47.39, more than I expected, at MrM.
    I bought 8 pints of milk to last the week, tea bags, the soda crystals (!), one set of 3 meats x £10 [turkey, chicken breasts and pork chops], pasta sauce, a tin for the bread I plan making, toilet paper and other toiletries, eggs, vegetables and some nice thick lamb chops that were labelled as pork chops and thus much cheaper!!!! Lol I was not planning that one, but since lamb is always so expensive and chops even more... I have now 4 big prime lamb chops for £4 :D They did have lamb chops in the £10x3 offer, but these ones are thicker and look much better!! *makes silly dance* I also bought 2 bags of individual satchets of Nescaf! white coffee with sugar. They were at £1.09 each bag with 10 satchets. It is going to be much cheaper than buying from coffee machines and as I work on supply and I am sent to random places every day, I cannot leave any stuff in the school for the next day, so milk and coffee is not an option! This works out 11p the coffee, so that's great! Also bought garlic salt, which I didn't need right now but MrM has their basic at 59p and I usually spend 1.70 for the branded ones, so to the bag as well. I have meals and milk for the week. I think I will not need anything else this time. Yay!!!

By the way, pork shoulder or pork loin joints were half price. Big ones were about £3-£4. I could not carry anymore (again on my own with two strong bags and only public transport, this is working, otherwise I take too much if they deliver or I take the car) so I left it behind. Moisturisers and so on from Nivea and Olay also were half price most of them. I bought a tinted moisturizer from Nivea at £3.99, which makes me fail my No toiletries challenge but since I had no moisturizer atm and that was the cheapest one, I think it is not that bad, isn't it? :D

UPDATED TOTAL: £163.13 / £250
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • jessie18
    jessie18 Posts: 68
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2011 at 5:13PM
    LannyLee wrote: »
    Jessie - can you let me have the recipe for you cheese & potato pie please, sounds like something my OH would love - thanks :D

Yes thats no probs, although im going to sound like a right cheapskate, ha ha :rotfl:

Its just loads of mashed potatoes mixed with margarine & a little milk, mash in lots of mature grated cheese to taste. You can add some chopped onions if you like them too, i would fry them a little first to soften. Then put into a large pyrex dish with sliced tomatoes on top, cook on gas number 6 till lovely and brown on top, about an hour depending on how big. Mom used to cook this when we were kids & they were hard up. She also used corned beef instead of cheese, for a corned beef hash type of dish. My sons love both it and they are now in their twenties, hubby likes the corned beef version. Not very adventurous i know, but a cheap filling meal.

Jessie18 x
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jessie18 wrote: »
    Yes thats no probs, although im going to sound like a right cheapskate, ha ha :rotfl:

Its just loads of mashed potatoes mixed with margarine & a little milk, mash in lots of mature grated cheese to taste. You can add some chopped onions if you like them too, i would fry them a little first to soften. Then put into a large pyrex dish with sliced tomatoes on top, cook on gas number 6 till lovely and brown on top, about an hour depending on how big. Mom used to cook this when we were kids & they were hard up. She also used corned beef instead of cheese, for a corned beef hash type of dish. My sons love both and they are now in their twenties, and hubby likes the corned beef version. Not very adventurous i know, but a cheap filling meal.

Jessie18 x

No, sounds brilliant, I'm forever freezing left-over mash from roast dinners and this sounds like a great way to use it up - thanks!
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    i've sorta fallen off thw wagon but not really. we just couldn't live on the small amount i set us. So will increase next month.
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    I've just thought... those of you who make your own bread, how do you find it keeps? Would a loaf last, say, a week and still be reasonably fresh, or would it get too stale to eat as is after a couple of days?

Or does it not hang around long enough for you to find out? ;)

cupOfChai - HM bread only lasts a couple of days in our house so not sure how fresh it would be after that - sorry.
    katholicos wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've been absent for a couple of months due to lack of internet access, i'm hoping you'll all have me back on board now i'm up and running though. Could some kind soul put me down for £80 for this months Grocery Challenge, pretty please?

katholicos - great to see you back.:D

I've updated my total with todays spends - was planning a NSD tomorrow but think I will pop to MrM's and get some half price Pork - thanks to whoever mentioned it.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    Spent £47.39, more than I expected, at MrM.
    I bought 8 pints of milk to last the week, tea bags, the soda crystals (!), one set of 3 meats x £10 [turkey, chicken breasts and pork chops], pasta sauce, a tin for the bread I plan making, toilet paper and other toiletries, eggs, vegetables and some nice thick lamb chops that were labelled as pork chops and thus much cheaper!!!! Lol I was not planning that one, but since lamb is always so expensive and chops even more... I have now 4 big prime lamb chops for £4 :D They did have lamb chops in the £10x3 offer, but these ones are thicker and look much better!! *makes silly dance* I also bought 2 bags of individual satchets of Nescaf! white coffee with sugar. They were at £1.09 each bag with 10 satchets. It is going to be much cheaper than buying from coffee machines and as I work on supply and I am sent to random places every day, I cannot leave any stuff in the school for the next day, so milk and coffee is not an option! This works out 11p the coffee, so that's great! Also bought garlic salt, which I didn't need right now but MrM has their basic at 59p and I usually spend 1.70 for the branded ones, so to the bag as well. I have meals and milk for the week. I think I will not need anything else this time. Yay!!!

By the way, pork shoulder or pork loin joints were half price. Big ones were about £3-£4. I could not carry anymore (again on my own with two strong bags and only public transport, this is working, otherwise I take too much if they deliver or I take the car) so I left it behind. Moisturisers and so on from Nivea and Olay also were half price most of them. I bought a tinted moisturizer from Nivea at £3.99, which makes me fail my No toiletries challenge but since I had no moisturizer atm and that was the cheapest one, I think it is not that bad, isn't it? :D

UPDATED TOTAL: £163.13 / £250

just a thought on your coffee 11p as you say is so much cheaper than coffee machine but sounds like you would have access to a kettle if you are taking sachets could you not take a jar or small sealed plastic tub with coffee and coffee mate mixed together and sugar if you take this and use instead of sachets , i take this to work and it is just like the sachets and would save you a further bob or two

just a thought hope you dont mind
    jd xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family