PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    I've just thought... those of you who make your own bread, how do you find it keeps? Would a loaf last, say, a week and still be reasonably fresh, or would it get too stale to eat as is after a couple of days?

Or does it not hang around long enough for you to find out? ;)

I make rolls for packed lunches. I make batches of 24 in one go . I cut them in half and then freeze them straight away. This way the bread is as fresh as the day i make it.

I also do this with the loaves i make too, i slice it then freeze it ready sliced. I just take out the number of slices i need. Hope this helps.

Tonight we are having spag bog from the freezer, so another easy meal for me tonight. I have picked some curly kale and i will do some carrots as well (we love our veg). It's a good meal to do today as my DD2 is round her friends for tea and she won't eat spag bog.

I'm a bit short of fruit at the moment but i can't go to the shops until tomorrow so i will have to use up what i've got. I've still got £2.50 on my asda gift card.

Anyway hope you are all well. Keep going with the GC
  • We were recently given a breadmaker that someone was throwing out...ive always wanted one! Does it really work out cheaper to make your own bread rather that buy it? Is HM bread really as unhealthy as everyone likes to make out?!
    January grocery challenge- £338.09/£350
    £365 in 365 days- £25
    January NSDs- 9
    Money made on ebay- £16.89
  • not sure if it works out cheaper I buy the A$da strong white bread flour which is now 50p but the taste I prefer especially when I do the garlic bread and use garlic salt instead of plain salt for an added kick.

I make with my BM:

pizza dough used to make my HM flat garlic bread and pizza's
    bread rolls
    bread
    malt loafs - when i can get malt extract
    cakes - occasionally

I also use a jar of dried yeast granules and not the quick stuff your supposed to use, not had any problems so far (touch wood).

not used it for jams yet
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    cat_smith wrote: »
    Stuck using local expensive shops as husband has managed to lose 2nd car key in 2 weeks and his car is now imobilised.

OMG! Lol How has he done it? He should put a big chain or something in the next one. I've only lost the keys once and now I have huge keyrings so I always find them easily and they are more difficult to lose. Does he like some of those hooks with chain? Or one of those that use the waiters, with extensible cord! lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgKmBvJegXSDZSrBJ3EHc9Zgn4-Z4ylnDHSPPK0IuXRFNFr6-1
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • boysma
    boysma Posts: 828 Forumite
    Another £5.14 to Mr T and Iceland this afternoon for bread, cereal (on offer) and value orange juice.
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14) :j
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    OMG! Lol How has he done it? He should put a big chain or something in the next one. I've only lost the keys once and now I have huge keyrings so I always find them easily and they are more difficult to lose. Does he like some of those hooks with chain? Or one of those that use the waiters, with extensible cord! lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgKmBvJegXSDZSrBJ3EHc9Zgn4-Z4ylnDHSPPK0IuXRFNFr6-1

No idea how. The first one fell through a hole in his pocket. This one is anybodies guess. But at over £130 each its not cheap, and they take over a week to order. Grrrr.

He doesn't keep it on a ring at all as it was slightly broken. Think I might superglue the next one to him:rotfl:
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2011 at 3:35PM
    Afternoon all, the mr t shop wasn't too bad, came in at £40.33 but £15 of this was on dog food (will transfer this from my dad's bank into mine) so i am under budget again this week :T (not by much but still)
    Today is the first time i have visited a supermarket this year and the price of food seems to have rocketed :eek: i was shocked at how much veg oil is (got the 3 x 1 litre bottles for £3 which was on special), the tiger loaf has increased by 20p :eek:, but i did find the elusive (sp) onion granules :D so will be making donners some time next week, and also the coconut block needed for my curry (again next week). Tonight we are having pork caserole with mash and green beans.
    I made chicken and rice yesterday and there is rice and chicken leftover (alot of rice :o) so was thinking maybe a chicken fried rice for tomorrow (usually i would have thrown it all out) but every time i try to make fried rice it all clumps together does anyone have a foolproof recipe :rotfl:, and will the rice still be ok by tomorrow?.
    found one (takeaway secret book doh obvious place to look ) also one in recipe index first post, no wonder mine has been going clumpy i have been trying to cook it in the egg mix lol)
  • Rhealea
    Rhealea Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all
    Am looking to join! Have set my budget to £435.00 per month for now - will DEF not be more and hoping to get it down!
    Grocery Challenge - Jan £426.06 / £435.00
    Feb £376.37 / £435.00
    March £0.00 / £435.00
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi everyone i havnet really been about this last week however i'm already over budget :( it all went out the window when my kids got suck :( i do have enough food to do us the rest of the month tho with the exception of milk and bread so i think i'll end up about £30 over
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    triticale wrote: »
    There don't seem to be any asparagus recipes in the index, I meant to ask for this to be added last time I got some bargain 'gus, could it please go in the index somewhere? Thanks.

tis done! great recipe, thanks ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills