January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    Then I'm going to have a bash at making bread, (by hand) not made bread for 20 years. Looking forward to that.

I find it makes me feel better- the kneading is very therapeutic!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • lou1981
    lou1981 Posts: 100 Forumite
    I had a small spend today just bread and milk. £3.50 just bought a small milk as we will need to do shop this week.
    mandco That cake sounds yum,:D I have copied it ready for a lunchbox treat. Thank you. xx
    Jan Grocery Challenge £48.21/£200
    NSD Jan5/10
    Clothing Challenge £6/£200
  • Off to do inventory on my kitchen cupboard . . .
    If I'm not back in 6 hours, someone come over and fish me out of its depths, please...! :p:D
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mandco, your fruit cake sound lush, its now in the index thank you ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mandco wrote: »
    made a yummy fruit cake today theres lots of similar one out there but I use a recipe i've been making since i was a kid its pretty healthly too as its virtually fat free
    1 cup hot black tea/boiling water
    2 cups of dried fruit(you can add cherries/nuts ect at the mixing stage if you want but reduce the amount of dried fruit by 1/2 a cup)
    1 cup sugar(often i use a little less)
    2-3 teaspoons mixed spice (you can use cinnamon/nutmeg)
    put these in a saucepan and bring to the boil for 5 mins then leave to cool for about 20 mins
    2 cups SR flour( I use 1 reg & 1 wholemeal)
    2 eggs
    stir these into the cooled fruit mix(add cherries/nuts if using)
    pour into a greased/lined tin and bake for approx 50 mins in 1lb loaf tin till knife comes out clean (i often make 2 and cook side by side)
    depending on the size/ shape of tin & cup size you use it may take a bit longer

right i'm off to catch up with the rest of this tread coz it grows so fast

Mandco, that sounds great, I'm going to make it this weekend. I take it for a 2lb tin you would double up the ingredients? Also, what temp for the oven?

Thanks for posting:)

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • the recipe looks great! :j
    on my list for when i next shop is mixed spice and dried fruit now!
    perhaps tho ought to make sure i finish the 2 christmas cakes :eek: before making one :D
  • JayJay14 wrote: »
    Have looked here they are free delivery and work out at about 24p a pouch.

And if you have a nectar card you can go to amazon through their website and get points too.

Thanks JayJay14, the only problem is that SkittlesCat will only eat Felix "As Good As It Gets" Tuna flavour and thats quite literally the only wet food she will eat and my other cat Crunchy will only eat Sheba Chicken & Turkey in gravey & Lamb in gravey so I end up having to buy the single pouches/foil trays, which when you are watching the pennies is vexing.

Argh two fussy cats!:mad: But I've never explored Amazon so I'm definatley going to have a good look at it.

Thank you so much again for posting the link for me:T x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • LittleMissHappy_2
    LittleMissHappy_2 Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2011 at 7:29PM
    Just want to say Thankyou to kezlou for the yummy macaroni cheese recipe on the 1st page :) Just had it for dinner and nom nom nom :D Really yummy and hardly costs anything (it made 4 portions for 2 x bottomless pits (or DS1 and DS2) 1 x DD (5yo) and 1 x adult) with added veg on the side. I think the meal must have cost around [STRIKE]£2[/STRIKE] £1.20 (got my sums wrong :o) including the veg :D
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    Sausage, Black Pudding, Bacon & Bean Stew

Just wanted to say thanks to CherryPie for the recipe - it is delicious!!! A proper hearty cheap winter warmer :)

January budget is going well, trying to empty the freezer so we can defrost it so only need to buy fresh stuff. Just need to work out what the random lumps of meat at the bottom of the freezer are!
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • Thanks for the cake recipe mandco. I have a huge 400g tub of mixed spice which i got at costco for only 47p last autumn, and i have very few recipes that use it to be honest so i am glad to have another one, particularly as my boys love fruit cake.

Has anyone else got any great mixed spice recipes? I have been adding it to tomato based home made pasta sauce which has gone down well, but i am intrigued how i will use up all of this great big tub without being too repetitive.

I thought i would also share our recipe for cowboy hash that we had tonight as i realised it is something i use quite regularly. I'm not sure how cheap it is, but it would depend on what brands you use i guess, and it is a different way to use mince when you are bored of spag bol/chilli/shep pie.

Cowboy hash (originally sampled in a pub in Sheffield when we were students, and the recipe cribbed at home)

saute an onion till soft, before adding mince. (Tonights was about 200g, but i have used more if i wanted to make more for the freezer.)
    when the mince is cooked, add one tin of oxtail soup, one tin of baked beans, and about a tins worth of sweetcorn, and heat it through thoroughly.
    Originally served in the pub with a giant yorkshire pudding, but we mostly have it with rice, or it would work with a jacket spud or mash.

Not too pricey, very filling, appeals to kids and it has a lovely taste.

I hope that appeals to someone as i would like to feel i am making a worthwhile contribution.

I was also going to say, for anyone who lives in the south yorkshire area, we have a local place called factory foods which is very similar to approved food with food near or past its best before date. It mainly deals with frozen food though, and every weekend they have great cheap bargains. We get a lot of stuff from there and it is really cheap and it definitely helps my budget.

EG. This weekend there are WW meals for 39p each, frozen ham joints 500g for £1.50. In the summer they were doing 30 branded ice creams for £1. They let you go in on a day pass, or you can sign up and become a member. They are about to start charging for membership. The people who run it are lovely, and always have food to sample so you can try certain things before you buy. Thought that might help someone too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure