January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sunflower1227
    Sunflower1227 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

First big spend of the new year, signature updated - few bits for DD to take back to uni, so spent a bit more than normal.

OH got bread maker this afternoon :j just trying it will let you know how it turns out.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Wow this thread moves so quickly :D

Just adjusted spending total as visited L**l for the first time today ( yes i was a L**l virgin:rotfl:). There was some great bargains, i can see why so many people split their shops :)
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
  • Wow this thread moves so quickly :D

Just adjusted spending total as visited L**l for the first time today ( yes i was a L**l virgin:rotfl:). There was some great bargains, i can see why so many people split their shops :)

Thats a good one-you L**dl minx! don't tell me you were buying their German sausages!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    now you've done it-you know what you've been missing!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    Oh yes please, I'd LOVE the recipe, it sounds delicious. Thank you!:T

Here is the recipe as requested:) This is for a 1kg gammon joint.

1kg gammon joint
    zezt and juice of 2 oranges
    4tsp dijon mustard
    200g cranberry sauce, doesn't matter if it is the fruity or smooth type, I have used both

Remove fat from ham and criss-cross skin with a knife to make a diamond pattern before covering with foil and roasting as per the instructions on the packet.

Place the zest of the oranges in a bowl with the cranberry sauce and mustard and add enough orange juice to achieve a runny jam like consistency. I find you don't need all of the juice from both oranges, just add it a bit at a time.

20 minutes before your ham is cooked, remove the foil and spread over the jammy mixture over it. Return to the the oven and baste every now and again until the end of the cooking time.

Slice and serve.:) Nice with mash and green beans.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Thats a good one-you L**dl minx! don't tell me you were buying their German sausages!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    now you've done it-you know what you've been missing!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: well now you mention it ! :rotfl:

MRSMCAWBER please could i be a pain and change from weekly to monthly now i have my new freezer :). So that would be £160 a month please
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Brought a whoopsie chicken this morning, 1.5kg for £2.75. This will make a few meals for us over the next couple of days.
    Need to update my spending spreadsheet etc. Keep on top, as I am buying in dribs and drabs at the moment. Which will cost me a lot more if I am not careful.!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    evening all, some great recipes popping up on here and im also another lover of mince and tatties...yum yum :D
    Still havent got round to choosing a recipe this month from my Jamie Oliver books or my food mags so i best get my finger out ;)

Had my mr T delivery yesterday which came to £55.45 including delivery, ive also been scrutinising the recipt for the items with the stars next to them for VAT so thanks to NickJW for pointing it out a few threads back as i would never have known :T
    Off to update sig now, keep up the good work everyone :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • Just looked at my Waitrose receipt and the vat items have a capital V to the left of them The only goods I bought today with vat added was the robinsons squash and the carrier bags.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    what is this about vat on receipts?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • In order to make extra savings-learn which foods carry vat. There is generally a star or a v next to the item. Things like fresh meat fish and veg are vat free whereas crisps and squash you pay vat. We are looking at our receipts to check how we can save money by buying as much vat free food as we can!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure