Toxic fume warning light and no power (max 10mph) - Clio 2002 1.2 16v

Options
the182guy
the182guy Posts: 1,018 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
That light is flashing, the handbook says just reduce engine speed until it goes off. The light flashes even when I start the car and don't move.

The car judders heavily, similar to the judder that you get when you're just about to stall, this happens constantly and there is no power, I don't think I could get past 10mph with my foot fully down in 1st or 2nd.

Checked the oil and no problem. My first though was the coolant because I recently topped it up with water and did the same last time it was low so there is probably not enough antifreeze in it, but having looked, it doesn't appear to be frozen. The car had a good run the day before yesterday (London to Manchester), and a short 10min run yesterday and didn't notice any problems.

The car had a full service 12 months ago and a new cambelt kit about 5 months ago and the battery is less than 18 months old.

Had a search online and found these 'solutions':
  • Thrash it in each gear up to ~ 6000 revs
  • Replace air filter and spark plugs
  • Replace coil/coilpack
Just wondered if anyone has any other ideas.

Cheers

Comments

• vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My car forum (not clio) has a list of typical error codes and on my car you can find out the error code using the dash, so it might be worth seeing if this is possible on a clio forum?
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    vl2588 wrote: »
    My car forum (not clio) has a list of typical error codes and on my car you can find out the error code using the dash, so it might be worth seeing if this is possible on a clio forum?

dont think the clio has an onboard dignostic readout.

if engine management is on and car is having allot of difficulty in maintaing any speed or accelleration theres something really wrong with your clio, the timing belt could have shredded a few teath but not snapped, fuel blockage. catalitic converter gone, the best way to treat this is to leave it alone until you can get it to a garage for a fault code read, the more you try and drive it the more damage you could be doing to it the more damage the more bucks its going to cost to fix it.
  • NBE
    NBE Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with my Volkswagen Polo. Exhaust sensor light came on, engine juddering, and almost no power at all.

My mechanic said it was the ignition coils and he replaced them along with the spark plugs. Car as good as new after that.

Hope that helps.
    "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
    -- Western Union internal memo, 1876
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    the182guy wrote: »

Checked the oil and no problem. My first though was the coolant because I recently topped it up with water and did the same last time it was low so there is probably not enough antifreeze in it, but having looked, it doesn't appear to be frozen. The car had a good run the day before yesterday (London to Manchester), and a short 10min run yesterday and didn't notice any problems.

:eek::eek: The car is losing coolant from somewhere, it doesn't just disappear, topping up with water at this time of year is just plain stupid.
  • the182guy
    Options
    It's not losing coolant, only topped up over the course of 9 months or so.

Tried it today and no problem until the engine warms up to normal temp then it kicks in and miss fires and the Toxic light comes on, it runs rough then constantly but was able to keep up speed unlike last night.

Had the breakdown out to it who did absolutely nothing but say it's "engine management" and need to take to garage to diagnose the fault. Didn't even open the bonnet. He said it will be £40-60 just to run the test. Looks like will be waiting till Wednesday at the earliest.

Cheers anyway for the replies.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a coil pack.

I would recommend you went to Argos, and buy the RAC code reader for £60. Open the code reader box, and the leather case, but leave the cable wrapped up. Remove the little dish next to the cigarette holder (it pulls out) and connect the code reader to the connector there.

Remove the code reader, and return to Argos for a full refund. :)

I recommend you join the website www.cliosport.net for further advice on this.

Alias
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a coil pack.

I would recommend you went to Argos, and buy the RAC code reader for £60. Open the code reader box, and the leather case, but leave the cable wrapped up. Remove the little dish next to the cigarette holder (it pulls out) and connect the code reader to the connector there.

Remove the code reader, and return to Argos for a full refund. :)

I recommend you join the website www.cliosport.net for further advice on this.

Alias

Good idea except that Argos exclude it from the money back guarantee
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • clever_username
    Options
    the182guy wrote: »
    Thrash it in each gear up to ~ 6000 revs
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • the182guy
    Options
    Cheers, posted on there, will wait and see.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    LETS NOT TAKE GUESSES AS TO WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!!

symptoms as described can be many things, topping it with just water over a 9 month period will weaken the antifreeze mixture and become inaffective i would suggest on topping up the antifreeze as soon as you can.

toxic fume warning light, can mean just about anything on a french car.

you really need to get a diagnostic, we can all take stabs in the dark over this but it really does come down to having a fault code read done to obtain the code at least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure