Takes 40 minutes to make, plus cooling

Ingredients

• 150g light muscovado sugar
    • 100g olive oil spread
    • 50g clear honey
    • 150g high-fibre cereal
    • 50g mixed dried fruit, chopped
    • 1 tbsp golden linseed

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ fan160C/gas 4. Grease the base and sides of a 18cm square x 2.5cm deep tin. Press the paper into the tin to line it.

2. Put the sugar, olive oil spread and honey into a large bowl and microwave on medium for 2 minutes. The mixture will be very hot, so take great care when removing the bowl. Stir well.
    3. Stir the cereals and fruit into the sugar mixture. Spoon into the tin and flatten with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the linseed on. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool in the tin for at least 30 minutes.
    4. Cut into 12 bars. Wrap each one in baking paper and store in an airtight tin.

Recipe for Marshmallow Crunch Bars:

Makes 36
    Ingredients

• 350g mini marshmallows
    • 170g vegetable shortening or oil ( I only used a knob of butter!)
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 150g rice or corn cereal (rice, puffed cocoa crisps, or fruit crisps) (I'm going to add a few more next time as they were still a bit sticky)
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 200g sweets of your choice (M&M's are good!)

Method: How to make marshmallow crunchy bar cut-outs

1. In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter, marshmallows, and salt. Stir in the cereal and the vanilla, making sure to coat each piece of cereal. Stir in candy pieces.
    2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread rice mixture onto waxed paper to the edges of the pan. Coat your hands with cooking spray and push down the mixture into an even, flat rectangle. Cool to room temperature.
    3. Spray selected cookie cutters (like stars or teddy bears) with cooking oil and firmly cut out shapes from cooled cereal mixture. Remove with a spatula and place on a waxed paper–lined baking sheet. Decorate with frosting, melted chocolate, additional sweets, or biscuits sprinkles.

Enjoy :D
    Grocery Challenge Nov £288.12/£250
    Weekly Spend Challenge: 7Nov £23.30/£30 14Nov EEK!/£70 21Nov £0/£30

• Good morning all you lovely frugal folk .well I have just got back from doing my 'big' shop for the month.I had managed to get quite a few whoopsies as well so I am really pleased meatwise, all reduced at 9.00 a.m. this morning I got
    6 pork chops = £2.50
    free range organic chicken = £.3.34 weighs about 3.5lb
    4 organic lamb rump steaks =£2.79
    1 fairly large piece of organic rib-eye steak =2.38
    1 butter basted organic turkey breast =£1.25
    1 good sized piece of best organic sirloin steak £1.91
    250gms lean lamb stewing steak plus a kidney = £2.00
    total 17.51 but should have been £32.17 so I have more than enough meat for me for the rest of the month.
    I also managed to buy some fair trade bananas reduced at 5 for 40p
    All told I have spent £33.75 out of my budget and have enough fruit and veg for around 10 days and nothing to buy for at least that time as well. I am really pleased at my trip this morning.I have just wrapped and frozen most of the stuff .I also had a result with a packet of thin sliced ham as for some reason it had been reduced to £1.34 from £2.00 but the sell by date is the 26th November so its probably been priced by mistake I bought two big packs of multi seeded wraps in Sainbobs at £1.00 a pack they are on special offer .So lunches will be my favourite, a wrap spread with mayo and a little grated cheese and some of the thin sliced ham and covered with chopped lettuce,sliced cucumber,tomato and chopped pepper and rolled up.Very filling and fairly healthy as well. I have frozen half of the sliced ham for next week and the wraps freeze beautifully as well. I think they are usually around £1.70 a pack so at a £1.00 a pack I have saved even more. All in all a very fruitfull morning .This afternoon I am peeling some apples I have been given and with some 'free' blackberries from the freezer I am going to make a crumble for puddings,it should last me several days.
    Washing is blowing away on the line at the moment I'm hoping that it will be dry by this afternoon and I'll get it ironed tonight.Feeling very organised today for some reason
    I hope everyone else has a good day,
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • sharronej wrote: »
    :rotfl:I;ve just read this and thought 'how on earth is she going to toast the crust edges of the slices of bread - of course you mean the end crusts of the loaf :rotfl:

when we were kids we always called this 'the outside ' errr because it was 'outside I suppose I still use them up as its part of the loaf
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning everyone - have just got back from my regular weekly shop at Sainsbugs and despite forgetting to take my list (duh!) I actually stucK to it apart from two courgettes and some mushrooms which were on offer. Feeling ok about totals as will only need a small top up in the week before next big shop. Aiming to keep food shopping days to two a week max!

Going into work later so better get on with cooking our lunch. will catch up with you all later.

Moniker
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    back from weekly shop t3sco have overcharged me for a pack of [EMAIL="br@nston"]br@nston[/EMAIL] beans :mad: so i will have to trail back to get a refund

managed to get some whoopsied meat from $ainsbugs free range chicken for £3.34, 4 pork chops for £2.19 and some posh beef burgers for £1.50
    also picked t3scos buy 1 get 2 free offers, [EMAIL="br@nston"]br@nston[/EMAIL] beans , [EMAIL="c@thedral"]c@thedral[/EMAIL] city cheese and h3inz chopped tomatoes , so my cupboards are bursting :o

spent £78 in total much more than i had anticipated but shouldnt need to go for anything else except bread and fresh greens for the guinea pigs :D
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    when we were kids we always called this 'the outside ' errr because it was 'outside I suppose I still use them up as its part of the loaf

crusts are my favourite part of a loaf especially toasted with butter and jam :D
  • JackieO wrote: »

We always called it the "heel" of the bread!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    I've been a bit pushed for time at the moment but wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and motivation this thread gives.

Some simple things had never really occurred to me, like looking for more alternatives to packet ham etc for sandwiches. I have often bought bacon joints etc, but had never thought of buying raw turkey or chicken just to cook for sandwiches, I don't know why!

I was really cross this morning, I had the car for a couple of hours and went to MrT with a list of bread flour and other baking bits and pieces as it's 3 for 2 - except it wasn't. Nothing at all in the whole section. I went to customer services, he called the dept manager, the manager came - except he was the bakery manager not the grocery one. Having been there about 15 mins, frozen food in my bags, and needed to get the car back, I couldn't wait any longer.

Phoned when I got home and got nowhere! They said 'maybe' the offers were online only. It doesn't say that on the website, and I was sure other people had bought them instore. Really useless and vague, 'not all shops have all offers'. I asked how were we to know where the offers are, according to website it's 1-23rd November...she said I should call the shop and speak to customer services:rotfl:
    OH kindly called in at another big branch but they haven't got any of the flour on offer either.

Rant over. Updated sig, 1st spends (at least I got the cheese BOG2F).

Ps, partly pushed for time as I'm doing a thing called NaNoWriMo which is a challenge to write the draft of a novel, 50,000 words in November. I'm using the idea of OS and budgeting for inspiration:)
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Diflower wrote: »
    I've been a bit pushed for time at the moment but wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help and motivation this thread gives.

Some simple things had never really occurred to me, like looking for more alternatives to packet ham etc for sandwiches. I have often bought bacon joints etc, but had never thought of buying raw turkey or chicken just to cook for sandwiches, I don't know why!

I was really cross this morning, I had the car for a couple of hours and went to MrT with a list of bread flour and other baking bits and pieces as it's 3 for 2 - except it wasn't. Nothing at all in the whole section. I went to customer services, he called the dept manager, the manager came - except he was the bakery manager not the grocery one. Having been there about 15 mins, frozen food in my bags, and needed to get the car back, I couldn't wait any longer.

Phoned when I got home and got nowhere! They said 'maybe' the offers were online only. It doesn't say that on the website, and I was sure other people had bought them instore. Really useless and vague, 'not all shops have all offers'. I asked how were we to know where the offers are, according to website it's 1-23rd November...she said I should call the shop and speak to customer services:rotfl:
    OH kindly called in at another big branch but they haven't got any of the flour on offer either.

Rant over. Updated sig, 1st spends (at least I got the cheese BOG2F).

Ps, partly pushed for time as I'm doing a thing called NaNoWriMo which is a challenge to write the draft of a novel, 50,000 words in November. I'm using the idea of OS and budgeting for inspiration:)
    DILFLOWER i have been a to mr t's a few times when they have there adds on tv only to find there is nothing in store its not very good when you make a round trip of 20 miles for me .
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Good afternoon all

Its blinkin miserable n soggy here and it seems weeks since I last saw the sun :(

Anyhoo -I had my first spend on Tuesday €35 ... not bad as we started our month on the 25th although with the amount of stuff I have in I shouldn't be spending a great deal for the next couple of months at least.. well apart from fresh fruit, veg, milk and yoghurts;)
    I have got super organised and have a list of every food item in the house on the PC AND a list of 200 new recipes I want to try :rotfl:-I have the name, name of the magazine, page number and how many Slimming world syns/healthy extras they are :o -and I have made up meal plans for the next 6 weeks (and still some more to do) -I have cross referenced them against what food I have listed so i know what I need to buy each week ...... I thinks its official that I am becming a list making nerd :p... I need to shift an itty bitty 1lb this week to hit my 6st shiney :j -still a way to go -but Im loving it :eek:

I have made a huge pan of corned beef hash for hubby -but Im having a salmon steak and stir-fry as I just don't fancy anything heavy or stodgey recently -plus I want to use the sugar snaps and bean sprouts up ;)
    Brodie1 -so glad the chicken n chorizo rice was a hit :T -it has become a fave of mine and I have never been that keen on rice :D
    right I will get off.. have a great afternoon all :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family