Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards
Views: 14,574
Old 02-11-2010, 2:45 PM   #1
Former MSE Alana
Former Editorial Assistant
MoneySaving Stalwart

This thread is to discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards.

Please read the Airline Credit Card guide for full info about all the top flight reward cards.

Click reply to discuss
Former MSE Alana is offline   Reply With Quote
# 2
Roger1
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The LloydsTSB Airmiles AmEx is fine as far as it goes, which is not too far with earnings of 1 Airmile per complete 10.

So, selected earnings for the AmEx:
  • 9.99: 0 Airmiles
  • 10: 1 Airmile
  • 19.99: 1 Airmile
  • 20: 2 Airmiles
  • 29.99: 2 Airmiles
  • 30: 3 Airmiles
and so on.

Double miles on foreign transactions - 1 Airmile per complete 5 - but beware the foreign exchange surcharge of 2.95%. I'll still be using my Nationwide Visa credit card in Europe and my Halifax Clarity MasterCard elsewhere.

The LloydsTSB MasterCard is a waste of time at 1 Airmile per complete 50, so 49.99 expenditure earns 0 Airmiles.

Last edited by Roger1; 03-11-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added foreign use info
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 3
choc_mouse
Old 03-11-2010, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1 View Post
earnings of 1 Airmile per complete 10.
Is it? I think it's based on your total monthly spending not on every transaction. Last month I spent 1014.32 over 25 transactions on my AMEX card. So I received 101 airmiles.
# 4
Roger1
Old 03-11-2010, 3:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc_mouse View Post
Last month I spent 1014.32 over 25 transactions on my AMEX card. So I received 101 airmiles.
Yup, looks like 1 Airmile per complete 10 to me. On your balance, you didn't get anything for the odd 4.32.

With larger amounts, it's less relevant than with smaller amounts. I'd be gutted spending 49.99 with the green card and earning nothing, though.

MBNA AmEx cards carry over any odd balance to the next month, combine that with the next month's spend and then calculate on the new balance. But as they generally award points per pound, we're only talking about odd pence being carried over as compared with potentially the odd 9.99 being lost with the LloydsTSB AmEx.

AmEx's own cards ignore pence per transaction when awarding points.
# 5
dazza.mk
Old 03-11-2010, 4:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I disagree, taken from T&C's:

"You will earn 1 Airmile for every 10 spent on Eligible Purchases
which are not Foreign Exchange Transactions using your Duo
American Express
card, and 1 Airmile for every 50 spent on
Eligible Purchases which are not Foreign Exchange Transactions
using your Duo MasterCard card or any other rate we may
decide. We will tell you which rates apply. Any remaining balance

of less than 10 or 50 respectively will be disregarded."

There won't be a 'remaining balance' if it is done on a per transaction basis.
# 6
choc_mouse
Old 03-11-2010, 8:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Yup, looks like 1 Airmile per complete 10 to me. On your balance, you didn't get anything for the odd 4.32.

With larger amounts, it's less relevant than with smaller amounts. I'd be gutted spending 49.99 with the green card and earning nothing, though.

MBNA AmEx cards carry over any odd balance to the next month, combine that with the next month's spend and then calculate on the new balance. But as they generally award points per pound, we're only talking about odd pence being carried over as compared with potentially the odd 9.99 being lost with the LloydsTSB AmEx.

AmEx's own cards ignore pence per transaction when awarding points.
Umm...I agree I didn't get anything for the 4.32 because it was rounded down from my monthly spend. I don't feel too cheated by this as the most I stand to lose is 12 airmiles/year.

I think we have the same understanding but you're confusing your words, so just to be clear...

My definition of a transaction is the amount spent at the till/online.
My definition of monthly spend is the sum of all those transactions (or purchases) since my last billing date.

Example: You have 5 transactions on your bill:
1) Buy a sandwich 2.50
2) Buy an iphone 599
3) Buy a sandwich and coffee 5
4) Buy a train ticket 24.95
5) Buy a sandwich and coffee 5

The total of all the transactions is 636.45

If Airmiles was awarded on a per transaction basis:
- Transaction 1,3 and 5 would earn 0 Airmiles.
- Transaction 2 would earn 59 Airmiles.
- Transaction 4 would earn 2 Airmiles
Giving a total of 59+2 = 61 Airmiles.

If Airmiles was awarded on your monthly spend you would get 63 Airmiles. This higher rate is actually how LTSB calculate it.

Last edited by choc_mouse; 03-11-2010 at 8:27 PM.
# 7
choc_mouse
Old 03-11-2010, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just re-read your post Roger and think we're just saying the same thing! Should have read it more carefully. Oh well, at least it's clear for anyone who doesn't know
# 8
Roger1
Old 03-11-2010, 8:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No worries, choc_mouse!

I mentioned 'per transaction' in connection with Amex's own cards. Just for the avoidance of misunderstanding, by this I meant the cards that AmEx themselves issue, for example the AmEx Platinum and Gold charge cards and the BA AmEx credit cards. These cards ignore pence for each transaction when calculating award points/miles.

I wasn't referring to the LloydsTSB Duo AmEx which of course isn't issued by AmEx but by LloydsTSB and awards Airmiles in multiples of 10, ignoring anything between 0.00 and 9.99 on the monthly total.
# 9
ElkyElky
Old 03-11-2010, 9:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
The LloydsTSB MasterCard is a waste of time at 1 Airmile per complete 50, so 49.99 expenditure earns 0 Airmiles.
I bought something on the MasterCard that came to 49.99. The shop keeper thought I was mad when I asked him if he could add a penny to it to make it 50. He put the transaction through at 50 and gave me the penny from the till.
Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 10
rev_henry
Old 09-11-2010, 9:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Had a call today out of the blue from my local branch offering me this, to which I agreed and was accepted. I was quite surprised as I'm an 18 year old student, but pleased that I shall be getting a normal credit card with a normal APR, earning me airmiles in the process! Just got rid of my Vanquis at 59.9% APR, not that I ever carried a balance over, so its good timing really...
# 11
lucy325
Old 30-11-2010, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just found this offer today giving 250 miles for airmiles duo customers:

(the forum won't let me post the link itself...but the web address is)
amexnetwork.co.uk/250airmiles

My understanding is that you have to spend on your AMEX in 8 shops (out of 18) and then you earn the extra miles. Doesn't seem that difficult given I have lots of christmas shopping to be doing!
# 12
jazztrio
Old 07-04-2011, 3:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Warning if you already have a LloydsTSB credit card!

What is not made clear is that applying for these cards cancels any existing cards you have with LloydsTSB, with no further warning. I found this to my cost when my Gold Card, which I had had for over 20 years, wasn't accepted when I filled up with 80 petrol. This is before my new cards had even arrived. Luckily I had another non-Lloyds card to pay with, but this could have been very serious.

Of course there was then the ongoing consequence of continuous authorisations being rejected for several months afterwards; mobile phone, congestion charge, pay-by-phone parking, internet connection, my website renewals, etc... Had I any idea of the consequences I would not have bothered!

LloydsTSB insist that you are notified when you apply, but I can't find any mention of it. Once the existing card has been cancelled there is no going back! Apparently they cannot reinstate it.
# 13
krakan
Old 06-06-2011, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkyElky View Post
I bought something on the MasterCard that came to 49.99. The shop keeper thought I was mad when I asked him if he could add a penny to it to make it 50. He put the transaction through at 50 and gave me the penny from the till.
You were mad - as discussed above, the airmiles are calculated on your monthly spend, no the spend on that single transaction.

If that had been your only spend for the month then yes, that would have been worth the penny, but otherwise it wouldn't make any difference (unless you hit the unlikely situation where your monthly spend still ended in 9.99 of course)

It's only a penny but what the shopkeeper did was naughty, btw, that was only 1p but it was a cash advance.

Suggest you see if he'll ring your next sale through at 35,000 and give you the difference in cash
# 14
pvt
Old 06-06-2011, 4:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakan View Post
It's only a penny but what the shopkeeper did was naughty, btw, that was only 1p but it was a cash advance.
Krakan,

More importantly the shopkeeper had to pay commission on the credit card transaction, probably of about 2.5%. So his foolhardy cash advance behaviour has resulted in an effective loss of 0.025p.

If he carries on like that he'll go to the wall! By my estimate in about 53,842 years he'll be insolvent....
Optimists see a glass half full
Pessimists see a glass half empty
Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
# 15
mynameisrui
Old 18-11-2011, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can anyone tell me if im right in this but with the Premier Duo Avios card you pay 50 per year and get 10 points per pound in the first 3 months?! Im about to shell our about 5,000 on my wedding so i could get 50,000 points - almost enough for a return flight to Japan (not including taxes). sounds a bit too good to be true
# 16
Roger1
Old 19-11-2011, 9:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Perhaps, it depends on how you apply.

If you apply via the avios.com website, that's the opening bonus. See http://www.avios.com/collect/lloydst...gradeOnDuoPage

If you apply via the LloydsTSB website, there's a different opening bonus of up to 10,000 Avios. See http://www.lloydstsb.com/credit_card..._duo_avios.asp

These are for using the AmEx card. The Mastercard earning rate is poor. It also presupposes that you are a new applicant. The bonuses don't apply if you are an existing LloydsTSB Airmiles cardholder.

There are double miles for foreign expenditure, though beware LloydsTSB's currency surcharge of 2.75%. I'm not sure how the double miles are affected by the 5x offer. 20 miles per sounds very optimistic!

Last edited by Roger1; 19-11-2011 at 9:29 AM. Reason: added last para
# 17
alexlg
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lloyds Duo Card

I'd be interested to hear other poster's (is that what we are/the right term?) thoughts on this.....

I've just applied for and received my Lloyds TSB Duo Avios cards from the Lloyds TSB website but I now realise I won't be eligible for the bonus 2000 Avios because I'm unlikely to spend 500 a month for the next 3 months. I'm not a high earner/big spender and my boyfriend has just got a Capital One card so we're putting as much of the joint spending, petrol/supermarkets etc on that at the moment.

I only got the Duo for the extra 2000 points and, when its not right for me to be using my boyfriend's card (!), the Duo Amex (if its accepted) looks like an easy way to top up my meagre Avios balance for a rainy day.

ANYWAY - now I've read all the small print, it would have obviously been better to apply for these same cards through the Avios website rather than through Lloyds TSB (yawn). So, do you think I stand a chance of being successful, if I cancel my current cards and re-apply for same through Avios?

What do you think?
# 18
OllyM
Old 04-02-2012, 4:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlg View Post
ANYWAY - now I've read all the small print, it would have obviously been better to apply for these same cards through the Avios website rather than through Lloyds TSB (yawn). So, do you think I stand a chance of being successful, if I cancel my current cards and re-apply for same through Avios?
If you cancel and re-apply, you won't get any introductory offer the second time, so this isn't a good idea.
# 19
OllyM
Old 04-02-2012, 5:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I mentioned 'per transaction' in connection with Amex's own cards. Just for the avoidance of misunderstanding, by this I meant the cards that AmEx themselves issue, for example the AmEx Platinum and Gold charge cards and the BA AmEx credit cards. These cards ignore pence for each transaction when calculating award points/miles.
That is true for charge cards (and possibly the free blue BA card) but certainly my BA Premium Plus AmEx calculates miles on every penny you spend, quite often they will round up in your favour. I've put 55p on the card and been given 1 Avios for it, and for example a 39.05 spend gives 59 Avios (39.05 x 1.5 = 58.575, so they round up).
# 20
splashy
Old 24-03-2013, 10:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question BA Amex and Lloyds duo

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me, I currently have a BA Amex airline card which I've had for about 8/9 months.

What I was wondering is, would I be able to go and get the the Lloyds duo airline cards to get their intro bonus of 30,000 to add to my current BA/avios points?

Thanks