Space required for LPG bulk tank

Options
Hi,

I live on a metered estate and once again have had the FloGas bill increased.
How much space is required to install a small bulk tank - house is relatively small - 2 small double bedrooms and a box room and uses LPG for heating and hot water via a combi-boiler.

There is a small back garden with a retaining ball at the rear and wooden fencing delineating the neigbouring gardens.

Thanks

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to Calor, above ground bulk tanks range from
    1200 litres = 2000 x 1300mm (l x d) to
    24000 litres = 8750 x 2700mm (l x d)

However the location is subject to separation distances from buildings, boundaries etc.

You can also get underground bulk tanks in two sizes
    • 2000 litres = 3040 x 1000mm (l x d)
    • 4000 litres = 4400 x 1200mm (l x d)
    However unless the estate is adding on a profit, I wouldn't have thought individual supply of LPG would be cheaper than an estate-wide bulk supply.

Might be worth seeing if Calor would be cheaper than Flo-Gas, but I don't think there are any other suppliers of bulk LPG (and they have the cylinder market pretty sewn up as well).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi squelch41, to add to Owain Moneysaver's reply:
    There are several bulk suppliers - but beware: the prices charged vary widely. Suppliers include BP, Calor, Flogas, Shell .. but also smaller suppliers such as Countrywide, ExtraFuels, Lister Gases, etc. Not all deliver all over the UK. There are 3 forums which might be useful to you: 1) Bulk LPG Cheapest suppliers 2) LPG Price Comparison 3) Just how expensive is LPG? Well, I hope I've got that right and all are active! There may be others. Bulk suppliers will probably want you to sign a contract (maybe for 2 years)...and may offer an enticing initial price to get you to sign up. Take care! ExtraFuels give a price each month for that month (36.29p/l for this month, May 2010). Each company has charges for tank rent, etc - or you can buy your own and pay for maintenance and compulsory tests yourself. Good luck - and at least you may be able to use this info to check out the price you pay on your estate!
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    squelch41 wrote: »
    Hi,

I live on a metered estate and once again have had the FloGas bill increased.
    <snip>

Hi,

See who'll supply your area by putting your postcode in http://www.uklpg.org/supplier-search/

I switched from BP to Extra Fuels, based in Manchester - they post each month's price (for everyone) on their website http://www.extrafuel.co.uk/

They deliver iin their local area using their bulk tankers - but sub-contract further afield. So wonderful, wonderful FloGas delivered to me, here in Bodmin, in June - and I paid Extra Fuel 36.03ppl. The price for this month - Augut 2010 - is 36.94. Very helpful guy - Mark Slack - on 0161 789 0000. Even sent a chart with the last 18 months prices. Several people in these threads have recommended Extra Fuel - and if you sign up and tell them who mentioned them you'll get a bit off your first bill - and so will the recommender.

It was easy to switch. Some info: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/EnergySupplyandPost/energysupply/563247/LPG and some more: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/monopolies/lpg-faqs.pdf

If LOTS of users switch to the small companies - like Lister, Countrywide, Extra Fuel etc - then either the big suppliers will have to become competitive, or they'll buy up all the small suppliers - and we'll all be fleeced again!

Good luck!
    John aka Little Vermin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family