iPhone App Charges - Never Even Used The App!

Options
Gaz1980
Gaz1980 Posts: 44 Forumite
Has anyone else had this problem with itunes? I havn't even used this app or several others like it I keep getting bills for....

Not happy about these Iphone bills I've got a few that look like: "£23.96 for Live Poker 7K Free by Zynga, 150,000 Chips, Developer: Zynga
x4 goes at £5.99 each". I've never even played on Live Poker!!!

Also had a few for GodFinger, 300 Awe Points, Developer: ngmoco, Inc. £17.49
Never heard of that either.

How do I get my money back? and stop this hapening again?

Im on Vodaphone. Ive changed the iphone store password, took off my card details. I called my bank they say there's several "pending" transactions and they are unable to stop them. I don't have a number for Itunes its all done through email, looked this up on google and Im not the only one and it takes them ages to reply sad.gif

It's a proper Apple Iphone email bill, I've got 3 or 4 now sad.gifThere's no one I can speak to until they open tomorrow sad.gif I've had to email the apple help thing, but googled it and they don't get back to you until it's too late. It looks like quite a common problem so at least that gives me a chance of getting my money back if it does leave my bank account.
I can't work out how this has happend? I don't have a password people can guess, I don't click on strange links, I don't download stuff that could be a virus. I've not installed anything dodgey or been on any dodgey sites so can't work it out.

Bit of a problem for Apple I think! Off to google this a bit more. Looks like quite a few people are having this problem.

The money's now gone from my HSBC account. (about £180 in total).

Phoned the police they said only if the bank has asked me to call them I should call them, there's nothing I can do until the bank has asked me to ring the police.

Called HSBC bank and someone's going to call me tomorrow.
(tomorrows been and gone no one from HSBC called - I called them, they said that department closed at 5pm and to try again tomorrow).

Had a reply from iTunes:

Dear Gareth,

Laura here from the iTunes Store. I sincerely apologize for the delay of this reply, due to an unforeseen increase of emails we are a bit behind. I assure you that this increase will not affect the quality of support I provide you today, and welcome you to email me directly if you need further assistance. Your replies will go to my inbox and be given higher priority.

I understand that you have been charged for several purchases that you did not make or authorize. I can imagine that this is extremely worrying and I'm sorry that you have been exposed to such misfortune. I will provide you with as much information as possible on how to have this matter resolved.

To prevent further purchasing, I have disabled your account and banned the credit card on file. Please note that your iTunes account can be enabled in the future by providing specific information to iTunes Store support.

Gareth, I apologize in advanced for the length of my email and if some of the suggestions go without saying or if you have already completed them. I just want to ensure I cover everything for you.

I urge you to contact your credit, debit, or payment card issuer as soon as possible to inquire about canceling the card or account and removing the unauthorized transactions. You should also ask them to launch an investigation into the security of your account. The iTunes Store cannot reverse the charges.

If you suspect you are the victim of identity theft, consider following these recommendations:

- Contact the fraud departments of any consumer reporting company in your region to place a fraud alert on your credit report.

- Close the accounts that you believe have been used without your knowledge.

- File a report with the agency in your jurisdiction that prosecutes identity thieves.

In the meantime, I strongly recommend you change your account password and security question immediately. Changing the password and security question will help to prevent anyone else from using your iTunes Store account to place orders without your knowledge. To increase the security of your account, choose a password that has at least eight digits and includes both letters and numbers. You can change your password using this website:

http://iforgot.apple.com

Also, here's how to change the security question for your iTunes Store account:

1. Sign into your account.

2. In the drop-down menu next to your account name, select "Account".

3. Select "Edit Account Info".

4. Change security question and answer.

5. Click "Done".

Although the authorizations on your iTunes Store account do not affect whether or not purchases can be made, I have reset your authorization count to 0. This will ensure that only computers you intend to use can play purchased content that is DRM protected.

For specific instructions on how to authorize and deauthorize a computer to play your iTunes Store purchases, please read the following technical support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420

For your convenience I have also located the following article that I thought you may find helpful:

iTunes Store: Best practices for protecting the security of your account
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4156

When you are confident the matter is resolved, please return to the Apple Account Information page, click the Edit Payment Information button, and enter your billing information. You will need to reply back to us with the following information to enable your account. This can be done at any time when you are ready:

- the billing address listed on the account
- your explicit permission to enable your account

...as well as one of the following:

- the last four digits of the credit card used for your iTunes Store account
- or the order number of your most recent purchase
- or the name of any item you've purchased using this account

I sincerely hope that you are able to resolve this matter with the help of your credit card company, as soon as possible, Gareth. I apologize that I alone could not do more for you regarding the reversal of the charges.

Please do not hesitate to ask for further assistance with your iTunes account information or access.

Sincerely,

Laura
iTunes Store Customer Support

Please note my hours this week are Sunday 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM, Tuesday 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM EDT.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.
House buying fell through. Lost £1731.24 :(

Comments

• Gaz1980
    Options
    Oh and I've replied to the apple email saying I've done all they ask, but no replay a day later and my Itunes account is still suspended.
  • Gaz1980
    Options
    Still not heard from HSBC. Called them back 08456081878, keept getting put through to the automated security check - get through it all until the last part which say press 4 to speak to a customer representative, but then says we are sorry the number you have dialed is incorrect. Finally managed to speak to Raj who transferred me to another department after being on hold ages. (line was terrible - keept going reallyt quiet, then when someone answered could hasrdly hear them.) Told again "that department only works until 5pm and someone will call me back" This is now the 3rd time I've been called this. If the bloody automated thing had worked I would have managed to speak to someone before 5pm. Come on HSBC Im now thinking of swapping to another bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport