May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2010 at 8:47AM
    Spiggle wrote: »
    Oooohhhh, rosieben you can't get away with mentioning such a scrumptious sounding dessert as pear and chocolate upsidedown pudding and get away without giving us the recipe!!!...

Spigs, I really thought I’d already posted it, but as you say, it isn’t in the list so heaven knows where I put it! This is basically the same as a pineapple upside down cake of course. I think chocolate and pears go really well together.

Pear and chocolate upside down pudding (or cake - whichever you prefer) ;)

Tin of pear halves, drained well, and arranged flat side down in the bottom of a deep dish; I put a cherry in the dent in each pear piece. You could slice each pear half into 3 or 4 thinner slices if you like.

You can use any chocolate sponge cake recipe but here’s one to try

6 oz / 175g butter
    6 0z /175g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    6 oz /175g SR flour
    2 oz / 50g cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    pinch salt

Pour the sponge mix over the pears and bake at 170 for about 30 minutes or until cooked.

Theoretically you’re supposed to turn the cake out onto a plate so that the pears and cherries look pretty when you serve but I’ve never actually had the nerve to try it!

savvyshe, I love Constance, those pictures make me want to get out my crochet hooks and try granny squares again! I’ll check in our library for the book because I’d love to have a proper look through it.

That isn’t my caravan though, sad to say! Attic24 is one of my favourites from a long list of blogs I follow through Bloglines; she always has something colourful and I love her crochet I’m interested to see how she pretties the caravan up.

I can't get going this morning (that's why I'm here on OS :o) but I need to check what's in the freezer for dinner. Working through my stocks quite well, I'm down to my last tin of the mushrooms bought on special at lidl but I found another 8 tins of tuna (also bought on special) in a carrier bag on the floor of the store room where I'd obviously put them when I didnt have room on the shelf :o Time for a bit of a sort out I think, in case there are other treasures lurking underfoot.

no spending for me today. Have a good day all :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...spent a bit yesterday...tomatoes 59p in tesco b1g2f so that seemed a good deal...now have toms all over the worktop

also went to aldi and got green beans pineapple apples and courgettes all 59p i thought that was good

got to make a curry for tea and prep some veg...could be a nsd...fingers crossed

tata tess
    onwards and upwards
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Spent £1.80 on 2 big bottle of Vimto in Quality Save yesterday, subtotal updated.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • MrsBsBlog
    MrsBsBlog Posts: 64 Forumite
    Good morning all:wave:
    Had a NSD yesterday, so was pleased with that, but popped down the road this morning and spent £19.16, but this did include a bulk buy from the butchers for some mince. So I have frozen some for next month and will do a big pot of spag bog/chilli mixture for some of this months meals.

I`ve now got dough mixing in the bread machine and some banana muffins nearly ready to come out. Recipe`s from here somewhere, so will see how they turn out.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58
  • lizbob
    lizbob Posts: 128
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hmmm..... up to 130 already, but OH and I sat down and planned the next three weeks from the freezer and storecupboard so should be ok fingers crossed. plus quick question? OH got given some vouchers as a bonus at work, you cvhoose which shop to get them for and we chose sainsbury's (so we spend them on stuff we would have bought anyway rather than "looking for things to buy"), but do these count as part of our challenge or are the groceries we buy with them effectively free?

i was thinking we could stock up on things we normally don't have much of like wine and other treats?
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    another 21 F bur I used up 30 F of vouchers so would have been more. It's proving really diffilcult to keep the budget low.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    ASC wrote: »
    ....I’ve got into the habit of making all our bread and haven’t bought a loaf this year so that really hurt! mmm--know how that feels :o....
    On the positive side though… I turned the sprouty potatoes and an OOD jar of sauce into a tasty gratin for Wednesday tea; used a mixture of frozen potato products instead of buying more frozen chips for Thursday tea; and on Friday (after the chaos caused by DH being disorganised and children going to bed late) I didn’t reach for the hidden Pringles or make do with a piece of toast (I’m not good at cooking just for myself), I made some chicken fried rice which was delicious and cheap and even without precooked rice it was done faster than DH can pick up a takeaway!!! :j (Sorry but I’m very proud of that one). Don't be sorry; shout it from the rooftops! You are justified in celebrating your minor victories :T
    I’m ashamed to admit it, but previously I’d have ignored the potatoes until they got too disgusting to do anything with and automatically gone out to buy chips rather than using up an alternative. Please don’t throw me out of here, I’m trying to reform and it’s reading and posting here that’s helping me to change.
    ....Thanks for the support....
    This is a very supportive group & I promise you I do read every day but don't always have anything to say, altho The Offspring would probably argue on that :p

It must be make-do-menus-in-May; everyone seems to be using up the stores they already have in :) The other day I defrosted some pork sausagemeat & managed to do 10 adult portions by adding a couple of tins of pulses, eggs & fresh breadcrumbs that had been lurking in the freezer. I guess it turned out like a meatloaf, with one lot topped with puff pastry [also a freezer find] & served with mash, veg & gravy & the other cooked at the same time. An OOD jar of pasta sauce plus tinned toms, chopped peppers & onions was heated in a saucepan & the second meatloaf chopped up & stirred thru at the end, to serve over spaghetti. Neither were a terrific success but both were edible & I've resolved to never buy sausagemeat again as we just don't like it very much I guess :o
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• gin
    gin Posts: 260 Forumite
    Have had two £7 off a £50 spend till spit so last two weeks' main shops have been at Mr T's. Managed to get it to £51 both times, so feeling very smug! Have topped up with veg from Super 6 at Aldi, but feeling on track for this month.:j
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I must get bread today - DH and DD don't like homemade for their packed lunches and I've ran out of back up supplies in the freezer. I'll get it from Mr T and check the whoopsies. I'll also pop in aldi for their super 6, as I haven't enough fruit for lunchboxes either. I would have left it to DH but I need to go to the PO anyway. Mission is to keep spends low as poss!! Famous last words.......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Morning all :) was hoping for an NSD today but think I will need to go out and get some nurofen. So may get a few treats when I'm out.

Have a good day all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family