May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Tessie Bear if the turkey is going to be eaten cold you could do a mango salsa -chopped mango, onion, tomato, cucumber, radishes - no need to put them all in but just to give you an idea.

Wild child - you sound similar to us in that you spend a large amount on a small number of people! There are two of us all the time and then quite often another one with a huge appetite. Our food bill was also £100 every week. Only started this challenge in April but cut it down to £300 every 4 weeks and am hoping for same (or less) this next 4 weeks. If I manage to do two consecutive months at a lower amount then aim to reduce the month after (hope this makes sense) :)

Had a small spend today of 69p for some rocket cant believe thats all I brought :A
    The cheese and onion bread I made yesterday is not bad. I think it needed more cheese though to be honest and perhaps a pinch of mustard? Will have to see if there is a proper recipie somewhere not like I did yesterday and just chuck things in.
    Steak for tea tonight (reduced in price) and will probably do it with pitta bread and maybe a small jkt potato & salad.

will update spends now and see if can work out how to quote what other posters have posted. :(
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Billie-jo wrote: »
    The cheese and onion bread I made yesterday is not bad. I think it needed more cheese though to be honest and perhaps a pinch of mustard? Will have to see if there is a proper recipie somewhere not like I did yesterday and just chuck things in.
    Steak for tea tonight (reduced in price) and will probably do it with pitta bread and maybe a small jkt potato & salad.

will update spends now and see if can work out how to quote what other posters have posted. :(

I have a cheese and onion bread recipe in my breadmaker instruction book, not tried it yet but I can let you have it if you want. You can let me know what it's like before I try it:rotfl:

mrs-moneypenny Whats weetabix cake? I love weetabix:D

Not spent anything yet today will try and keep it like that.
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Oh yes please longtermlurker would love to have the recipie. Cant do it till Thursday though as not got enough flour till go shopping and refuse to buy it at local shop as its twice the price.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Cheese, Onion and herb bread.

275ml Water
    450g Strong white bread flour
    22 1/2 ml/1 1/2 tbsp Dried milk powder
    7 1/2ml/ 1 1/2 tsp Salt
    7 1/2ml/ 1 1/2 tsp Caster sugar
    2 1/2 ml/ 1/2 tsp Dried mustard powder
    pinch Cayenne pepper
    25g Butter
    5 ml Dried yeast
    100g Grated cheddar cheese
    1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
    15 ml/ 1 tbsp fresh mixed chopped herbs or
    5ml / 1 tsp Dried mixed herbs

Place water, flour, milk, salt, sugar, mustard, cayenne pepper, butter and yeast in the bread pan.
    Program-Basic

Add cheese, onion and herbs at the beeps during the second needing cycle.

This is for my bread maker so you may have to adjust it to suit yours.
    Hope it's ok and I take no responsibility if it's not:rotfl:
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    TheBees are all fired up and ready to go. Trying not to worry about the redundancy thing by keeping busy....

Had roast shoulder of lamb on sunday followed by lamb risotto with the leftovers on Monday. Tonight it's baked potatoes for me and the children as DH will be late home. While the oven was on yesterday I made some flapjacks for the packed lunches this week and made a loaf in the breadmaker as DS16 is eating far too many snacks and a slice of bread is cheaper!

Good luck all
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    No shopping since Saturday for me!
    Hopefully, with the exception of milk, it'll stay that way until Monday next week (we're away at the weekend).

It's meat spag bol for OH for tea tonight and Beanfeast bol (a throw back to student days) and spaghetti for me.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cheese, Onion and herb bread.

275ml Water
    450g Strong white bread flour
    22 1/2 ml/1 1/2 tbsp Dried milk powder
    7 1/2ml/ 1 1/2 tsp Salt
    7 1/2ml/ 1 1/2 tsp Caster sugar
    2 1/2 ml/ 1/2 tsp Dried mustard powder
    pinch Cayenne pepper
    25g Butter
    5 ml Dried yeast
    100g Grated cheddar cheese
    1 small onion peeled and finely chopped
    15 ml/ 1 tbsp fresh mixed chopped herbs or
    5ml / 1 tsp Dried mixed herbs

Place water, flour, milk, salt, sugar, mustard, cayenne pepper, butter and yeast in the bread pan.
    Program-Basic

Add cheese, onion and herbs at the beeps during the second needing cycle.

This is for my bread maker so you may have to adjust it to suit yours.
    Hope it's ok and I take no responsibility if it's not:rotfl:

Hi all,

Longtermlurker that looks like a Morphy Richards BM recipe. If it is, Billie-jo you may want to reduce the sugar severely. The only problem with the recipes for the MRBM (and we love our machine) we've found is the very unpalatable amount of sugar they recommend and we have had success with many recipes with far less sugar. But it could be different with a cheese and onion bread perhaps? :think:

We've had three NSD so quite pleased but will probably need to go to MrT tomorrow lunchtime from work - this monkey needs bananas! :D I've also had a free delivery email from MrS so may put an online order in with them but I need to check whether it's worth it first.

Great to see our community and support network growing so welcome to the newbies and well done to all those staying away from those terrible temptors at the shops. :T

Take care all,
    Spigs

P.S Billie-jo if you want to quote a post just hit the Quote button and you'll automatically be taken to the advanced reply page where you can just type below the quote or amend it if you want to just use a part of the OP post.
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Oh dear, over a third into my total already and only 4 days into the month. I can do it!

I went to Aldi after work and got 2 boxes of grapes (which are lovely) and some bananas, so £2.22 spent there. Then on to Tesco to get some Herbal Essences while on offer, i've tried other/cheaper brands and they all leave my hair looking greasy by lunchtime, so i'l have to stick to HE! £7.45 spent in there on 2 x shampoo, 2 x conditioner and a packet of rice cakes to nibble on at work.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • butdoineedit?
    butdoineedit? Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First spend of the month yesterday, but only spent £8.26 on F&V, pittas & fillings & reckon that's me sorted for the week for absolutely everything, so my challenge is to keep out of the supermarket until at least Saturday... fingers crossed!!
    February NSD challenge 5/15
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hello...thankyou for the ideas re turkey and mango...rhey all sound really nice

just got back from asda...got a few bargains...reduced fruit and veg...carrots were on special offer 27p kg...also dr thunder (great name) is in the pop isle...40p a bottle...we got it because of funny name and its great just like dr pepper...also picked up a leaflet explaining the procedure for claiming back money if your basket woulld have been cheaper somewhere else.....basically u have to enter your receipt details...nos on top not items....after 9am next day...imgoing to have a go tomorrow and ill let u know if its as easy as it looks

oh yes also a tub of organic hummous for 77p....which i thought was reasonable

nighty night
    tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills