Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > HELP - I made a "faster payment" to the... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
HELP - I made a "faster payment" to the wrong account
Closed Thread
Views: 5,408
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
spags1909
Old 26-10-2009, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default HELP - I made a "faster payment" to the wrong account

Hi Everyone.

I've just made a really stupid mistake!!! I know it was completely stupid and will never do it again but I really need some help to sort it now.

Here is the problem:

Today I made a "faster payment" via telephone to a Mr AAAAAA and I gave the sort code and account number to my bank. They then made the payment.

I shortly after realised that I had the payment to the wrong account.

I telephoned my bank (Barclays) and they told me there was nothing they could do. The sort code and account number I gave them existed so the payment was made and put into the wrong account.

Is there anything I can do to get this money back? My bank said they can't/won't help me.

I think I remember from somewhere (a long time ago) that if I gave the bank the name of the person who's account I wanted the money to go into for example Mr AAAAAA and gave the wrong account number I would be entitled to a refund. This is because its not going into Mr AAAAAA account but instead it goes into Mr BBBBBB account. Is this correct?

If not, why do they need a name when paying someone. Surely this is for security! If not, they why do we need to give a name.

Thanks guys
spags1909 is offline
Report Post
# 2
stclair
Old 26-10-2009, 8:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spags1909 View Post
Hi Everyone.

I've just made a really stupid mistake!!! I know it was completely stupid and will never do it again but I really need some help to sort it now.

Here is the problem:

Today I made a "faster payment" via telephone to a Mr AAAAAA and I gave the sort code and account number to my bank. They then made the payment.

I shortly after realised that I had the payment to the wrong account.

I telephoned my bank (Barclays) and they told me there was nothing they could do. The sort code and account number I gave them existed so the payment was made and put into the wrong account.

Is there anything I can do to get this money back? My bank said they can't/won't help me.

I think I remember from somewhere (a long time ago) that if I gave the bank the name of the person who's account I wanted the money to go into for example Mr AAAAAA and gave the wrong account number I would be entitled to a refund. This is because its not going into Mr AAAAAA account but instead it goes into Mr BBBBBB account. Is this correct?

If not, why do they need a name when paying someone. Surely this is for security! If not, they why do we need to give a name.

Thanks guys
Youll need to ask barclays to write too the other bank and ask them for the money back.

When banks make payments its generally routed via the account number and sort code.

Unlike BACS faster payments can not be recalled by the bank.

How do you know the account number and sort code really exist? Was it going to another barclays account?

Last edited by stclair; 26-10-2009 at 8:11 PM.
stclair is online now
Report Post
# 3
Floxxie
Old 26-10-2009, 8:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,300
Default

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1219492/700-wrong-account-wont-return-it.html

This gives you a few options but it depends on how much you have sent and how much it will cost you to get it back.
Floxxie is offline
Report Post
# 4
jonesMUFCforever
Old 26-10-2009, 8:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,920
Default

You will not like this answer but you have no recourse from your bank they have done nothing wrong.
You may have to get a court order (very expensive) to get the receiving bank to name the customer even then if they have spent it will it be worth it?
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
jonesMUFCforever is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jonesMUFCforever For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pcombo
Old 26-10-2009, 9:32 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 3,156
Default

lol wish it was my account that got. Tbh use online banking and mistakes wont happen.
pcombo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to pcombo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
flyingscotno1
Old 26-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcombo View Post
lol wish it was my account that got. Tbh use online banking and mistakes wont happen.
Unless you mistype
flyingscotno1 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingscotno1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
spags1909
Old 26-10-2009, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm in no way blaming my bank. I was just hoping they could help me by writing to the other bank. The other bank could then check what account (and name) it went into and then decide wether to refund it or not!

Unfortunately, they won't do that.

I guess I either forget about the money or report it to the police.

Does anyone else reccommend anything else?

Thanks Again
spags1909 is offline
Report Post
# 8
stclair
Old 26-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spags1909 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm in no way blaming my bank. I was just hoping they could help me by writing to the other bank. The other bank could then check what account (and name) it went into and then decide wether to refund it or not!

Unfortunately, they won't do that.

I guess I either forget about the money or report it to the police.

Does anyone else reccommend anything else?

Thanks Again
The best thing to do is to ask barclays to write to the bank concerned for you and try and reclaim the money back.

Plus how do you know the bank details really exist?
stclair is online now
Report Post
# 9
rb10
Old 26-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,304
Default

If you are sure that the account actually exists, then you could always make contact with the recipient yourself? Write a letter to them, and then take it into a branch of the bank that holds their account asking them to forward it in the stamped envelope that you give them to the account holder.
rb10 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jonesMUFCforever
Old 27-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb10 View Post
If you are sure that the account actually exists, then you could always make contact with the recipient yourself? Write a letter to them, and then take it into a branch of the bank that holds their account asking them to forward it in the stamped envelope that you give them to the account holder.
Good idea!
However you are dependent on the account holder to respond and repay. There are plenty today that won't!
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
jonesMUFCforever is offline
Report Post
# 11
agsnu
Old 27-10-2009, 6:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
Plus how do you know the bank details really exist?
Because with the Faster Payments infrastructure, the sending bank gets a confirmation that the amount was credited successfully... So Barclays can see that the credit was successful.
agsnu is offline
Report Post
# 12
ray123
Old 27-10-2009, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 646
Default

It may be possibe to track down the branch location via the sort code
ray123 is offline
Report Post
# 13
stclair
Old 27-10-2009, 7:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsnu View Post
Because with the Faster Payments infrastructure, the sending bank gets a confirmation that the amount was credited successfully... So Barclays can see that the credit was successful.
The only reason I ask is because I had a very similar case the other week. The sort code was correct but the account number wasn't and the funds was just sitting in a holding account.
stclair is online now
Report Post
# 14
G_M
Old 04-12-2009, 5:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 25,906
Default

Interestingly this is reason Nationwide give me repeatedly for not rolling out FPs outbound. Because once it's gone, it's gone and they don't trust their customers not to make mistakes and then holla (my words/interpretation).
G_M is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to G_M For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
JPD23
Old 04-12-2009, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
Plus how do you know the bank details really exist?
https://www.afd.co.uk/tryit/bank/Val...rocess=Account
JPD23 is offline
Report Post
# 16
agsnu
Old 05-12-2009, 1:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M View Post
Interestingly this is reason Nationwide give me repeatedly for not rolling out FPs outbound. Because once it's gone, it's gone and they don't trust their customers not to make mistakes and then holla (my words/interpretation).
As I understand it, the reason Nationwide haven't rolled out FPs properly is because their computer systems are ancient and decrepit and they're struggling with a grand plan to improve them but it's all massively behind schedule.
agsnu is offline
Report Post
# 17
cottager
Old 05-12-2009, 8:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsnu View Post
As I understand it, the reason Nationwide haven't rolled out FPs properly is because their computer systems are ancient and decrepit and they're struggling with a grand plan to improve them but it's all massively behind schedule.
Sounds more likely

There'll always be a risk of human error with FP, as with many other things, but the banks (or b/soc in Nationwide's case) who sign up to it shouldn't be using that as any excuse to lag behind. On that basis they'd never do it, and it simply doesn't wash in view of the full unfettered FP service available elsewhere.

I'm constantly frustrated with those 'dragging their feet', but I do appreciate FP is hugely expensive to implement and not as simple as flicking a switch and there it is.
~cottager
cottager is offline
Report Post
# 18
realaledrinker
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsnu View Post
As I understand it, the reason Nationwide haven't rolled out FPs properly is because their computer systems are ancient and decrepit and they're struggling with a grand plan to improve them but it's all massively behind schedule.
They are implementing SAP Banking - first in UK.
Ethical moneysaver
realaledrinker is offline
Report Post
# 19
realaledrinker
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spags1909 View Post
I guess I either forget about the money or report it to the police.


On what grounds?
Ethical moneysaver
realaledrinker is offline
Report Post
# 20
henryg
Old 06-12-2009, 4:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Default

Online banking is best because you set up your paying information and it remembers it for next time you need to pay the same person. All you have to do is be sure to enter the correct numbers the first time around, and this is more fool-proof as the numbers are there in front of you to see before submitting!
henryg is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:33 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 01 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • Engaged and bought a house? Heaven forbid one of you died, without a will your share would go to their relatives not you. #Willfact
  • Free wills http://t.co/ST6uxNt7fe (and key warning unless you have one, if you just cohabit, not married/civ part - your partner gets nowt)
  • On my way to @GMB for my 7:40 Deals Of The Week slot. Today Inc free wills, no fee debt shift, free greggs and national citizen service week

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • ALT-JTHIS IS ALL YOURS
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.