Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Queenie
    Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...
    • 7th Feb 05, 7:58 AM
    Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ... 7th Feb 05 at 7:58 AM
    Do you have a hobby or particular craft that you do which saves you money?

In days of old, each and every skill, talent was put to good use to make things for the family and home.

I recall the days when my dMother would scour the jumble sales for old jumpers - not to wear (!) but for the sole purpose of unpicking the yarn so she could crochet them into a lap blanket to keep our legs warm during winter months.

I once attended a family wedding in a beautiful crocheted skirt and top made up solely from old jumpers my mother had unpicked!

I confess that crochet and knitting have never been a hobby or skill that I have, although I can do the most basic in both.

The hobbies/crafts I *do* put to use to save on pennies and bring originality and personality to my home are:-

Quilting - not just for beds: cushions, lap quilts, placemats, table runners, curtain valances, tablecloths, wall hangings, wardrobe satchets, towel trims etc.

Sewing: clothing (rarely), curtains, linen bags, shoe bags, book bags, tissue box covers, picture frames are just some of the things I make.

Card Making - mainly for special people; for those times when a card is called for and the person isn't a close friend/family member then it's cheaper to buy cards in sales!!

Rag Rugs - my dMother taught us all how to do latch hook rugging when we were kids; I have very fond memories of sitting around the coal fire and my brothers and I taking turns to complete our family rug. When the "fluffy" side wore out (after years of use!) it was simply turned over so the back now took the wear and tear

These are just some of the things I do.

So, come on, share your hobbies, crafts, skills that you do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

2,003Users online

Martin's Twitter