Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...
Views: 18,355
# 1
Queenie
Old 07-02-2005, 7:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Do you have a hobby or particular craft that you do which saves you money?

In days of old, each and every skill, talent was put to good use to make things for the family and home.

I recall the days when my dMother would scour the jumble sales for old jumpers - not to wear (!) but for the sole purpose of unpicking the yarn so she could crochet them into a lap blanket to keep our legs warm during winter months.

I once attended a family wedding in a beautiful crocheted skirt and top made up solely from old jumpers my mother had unpicked!

I confess that crochet and knitting have never been a hobby or skill that I have, although I can do the most basic in both.

The hobbies/crafts I *do* put to use to save on pennies and bring originality and personality to my home are:-

Quilting - not just for beds: cushions, lap quilts, placemats, table runners, curtain valances, tablecloths, wall hangings, wardrobe satchets, towel trims etc.

Sewing: clothing (rarely), curtains, linen bags, shoe bags, book bags, tissue box covers, picture frames are just some of the things I make.

Card Making - mainly for special people; for those times when a card is called for and the person isn't a close friend/family member then it's cheaper to buy cards in sales!!

Rag Rugs - my dMother taught us all how to do latch hook rugging when we were kids; I have very fond memories of sitting around the coal fire and my brothers and I taking turns to complete our family rug. When the "fluffy" side wore out (after years of use!) it was simply turned over so the back now took the wear and tear

These are just some of the things I do.

So, come on, share your hobbies, crafts, skills that you do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
cath-w
Old 07-02-2005, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I too sew, knit, crochet, quilt etc.

I made a lot of gifts for friends, I also unpick jumpers and re-use the wool, old t-shirts are used in rags rugs. I also buy a lot of clothes from charity shops and alter them to look better, e.g. I bought a coat with a broken zip and re-fitted a new one, I also got a really nice shirt, but it had a very big 70's collar on it. I took the collar off made is smaller and re-fitted the collar.

Most things in the house are home made including quilt covers, cushion covers, bags, etc. The most innovative thing I have made so far was an apron. It is made from the top parts of jeans which is not much use for bags, cushions etc due to the pockets and waistband. I stiched together the material and made a great apron.

I am currently working on a large wall hanging made from lots of end pieces of wool and beads. The next project will be a new quilt.

C.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cath-w For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Galtizz
Old 07-02-2005, 5:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cath-w, The apron is a great idea but I have to say jeans make a perfect bag too. I have seen this done and am going to have a go as a birthday gift.

The legs are cut off like VERY short shorts (almost square) then turn the shorts inside out sew along the bottom of each leg. unpick the inside of the waistband and attach a zip (re attaching the waitsband at the same time). Use the length of the legs to make 2 straps and sew them on. You can sew up the front pockets and cut them off on the inside but the back pockets make great pockets, you can decorate them with sequins or patches for an even more novelty bag.

These are great for school, college or university because, if you have a big bum (like me) you can fit a lever arch file in (I've tried!)

I make gifts more than household stuff but I am going to try to make some curtains for my bedroom, when I have decided on the material, which will save me a fortune.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
The Following User Says Thank You to Galtizz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
toozie
Old 07-02-2005, 6:42 PM

I do cross stich cards for a special person or birthday.

My kids have also collected large pebbles from the beach-this can only be done if you live near the coast-and painted pictures on the stones with acrylic paints. Grandparents cherish them as door stops.

I make 'Bara Brith' at Xmas, which is a sort of welsh tea bread, can be made cheaply and tasts yummmmmy. Buy or beg some cellophane from the local florist, if its Xmas, cellophane with holly on is nice, and tie up the Bara Brith in the stuff with a fluted top using coloured Xmas stringy stuff. You know the stuff you can curl with scissors.

One your I grew gourds, varnished them, and gave them as a present in a wicker basket.
The Following User Says Thank You to toozie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cath-w
Old 08-02-2005, 7:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtizz
Cath-w, The apron is a great idea but I have to say jeans make a perfect bag too. I have seen this done and am going to have a go as a birthday gift.

I use denim a lot in bags as it is very strong. I triple-stich the seams to make sure that the bag can take a lot of weight. If you are interested here are some pics of things I made last year. I am hoping to try and make a collection of things to sell at some point *fingers crossed*.

http://www.bycath.techno-nomads.net/crafts/crafts.html

The denim apron is on there on the 'Other' link.

C.
The Following User Says Thank You to cath-w For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
toozie
Old 08-02-2005, 7:41 AM

Smile

They are all great Cath, I love the appron.
The Following User Says Thank You to toozie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Queenie
Old 08-02-2005, 7:42 AM

You work is beautiful cath thanks for sharing the link, I love seeing people's craftwork.
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
chardonnay
Old 08-02-2005, 8:25 AM

the apron is cool
The Following User Says Thank You to chardonnay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Galtizz
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The apron is fantastic! I love the denim cushions too.
I think you could definatley sell the things that you've made, people love something a bit different and it is obviously really good quality. Good luck.
When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
The Following User Says Thank You to Galtizz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
bugs
Old 08-02-2005, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Hope nobody minds my asking but...when you unpick a jumper is it easy to knit with the crinkly yarn that results from it, or do you have any tips for making it more manageable. It seems like an excellent idea - wool is soooo expensive to buy for knitting.
It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)

Last edited by bugs; 08-02-2005 at 1:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cath-w
Old 08-02-2005, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs
Hope nobody minds my asking but...when you unpick a jumper is it easy to knit with the crinkly yarn that results from it, or do you have any tips for making it more manageable. It seems like an excellent idea - wool is soooo expensive to buy for knitting.
Some wool is fine to knit as crinkly others not. It depends on the yarn, the weight and the pattern. Some times your knitting can look lumpy as it has not knitted tight enough. People suggest hand washing it to get the crinkles out, but this is a major pain and takes forever to dry and usually does not work. I have, however, recycled some really nice wool which I then ironed! I would iron a small ball at a time by pulling the yarn through quickly underneath the iron. Still not finish doing this yet, but I will get there eventually and the wool would be ready to use.

C.
# 12
Queenie
Old 09-02-2005, 9:02 AM

Crinkly yarn - you can wrap it over a clothes horse as you unwind it and then put it in the bathroom and let the steam do the work (a radiator clothes dryer would work).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Ria
Old 09-02-2005, 9:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tootsie, Can you post a recipe for Bara brith please? My Grandmother used to meake this and I can't find a recipe. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Ria For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bugs
Old 10-02-2005, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Cathy-w and Queenie. I had always wondered...but never got the chance to ask before (well, it's not a common conversation is it?!). I'll definitely start having a look, and it'll be particularly handy for recycling old jumpers that have seen better days.

Btw Cathy-w, loved the things on your site - almost inspires me to battle against my ten-thumbedness a bit more!
The Following User Says Thank You to bugs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Edinburghlass
Old 10-02-2005, 5:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I just had a look at your bags too cathy-w, lovely designs, well done you.

I hope you can find a means of selling them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
culpepper
Old 10-02-2005, 5:48 PM

cathy all of your work is lovely!!
I like the idea of using your old Tshirts as cushions,Ive got a couple I might do that with.

About crinkly recycled wool...If you can find an old wire coathanger,you can bend it into a rectangle,then wind the crinkly wool around it and steam it over the kettle.It will dry straight. I know Queenie has already suggested steaming it but its another way if you havent got a clothes horse.
The Following User Says Thank You to culpepper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
maryb
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 PM

If you have a metal colander put it on top of a pan of simmering water then thread the wool across from one hole to another so that it goes through the steam. Then just wind it into balls as you pull it through
The Following User Says Thank You to maryb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
cath-w
Old 14-02-2005, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the comments on my stuff guys. Hoping to move house soon so that I can have the space to work. I currently have to use a small table in the kitchen as we live in a tiny, flat and all my supplies are in a big heap of cardboard boxes.

C.
# 19
MATH
Old 14-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Cath W, Could I be first in line when you give the denim aprons out -cool

I wouldn't call it craft but I have made things for the house to save a bit of money. Had a sewing machine and no idea how to use it but guessed it couldn't be any harder than driving a car so decided to 'break myself in' gently by making removable covers for my 3 piece suite which the cats had savaged. They turned out OK and we kept the suite for a further 5 yrs. After that there was no holding back - I was on a stitching frenzy. Roman Blinds went up in the kitchen. Roller sun screens appeared in the conservatory and Patchword comforters were thrown across beds. The three children suddenly found themselves owners of three very nice, plush, appliqued santa sacks (which if not passed from generation to generation as sacred heirlooms I shall be mortally wounded). The ironing board was recovered as was the dining room chairs (in the same fabric - matchy, matchy) LOL - Taking a rest now (cos I've broke all my needles heheheh)
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
The Following User Says Thank You to MATH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
r.mac
Old 15-02-2005, 2:11 PM

cathy,

your stuff is excellent. I really love your sewing/knitting basket. It truly is beautiful.

And of course, I now want a denim apron as well!

thansk for the inspiration guys.I am not very crafty - yet, but I make cards and can sew well enough to make a cushion or mend something.

My mum is the crafty member of the family. She has just made me a kingsize patchwork quilt, which is amazing. All triangles and diamond patterns in green and cream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aless02 View Post
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
The Following User Says Thank You to r.mac For This Useful Post: Show me >>